Can non union writers take advantage of the writers strike?

As many of you know the writers strike in California/New York is still going strong. As a result audiences are being forced to endure more reality TV and re runs. My question is if you are a non-union writer or director, would now be a good time to submit your TV show/script ideas to Hollywood?

Do you think Hollywood is desperate for new ideas or will they continue to fall back on reality TV because it’s cheaper to make?

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic … 8820071214”>Hollywood directors hold off talks as writers strike | Reuters</LINK_TEXT>

that’s exactly what I was thinking about these days. It would make sense if non-union writers try to pitch their stuff now, but I don’t know if they do or if they prefer to support the WGA.

I wouldn’t think they prefer the support of the WGA because the unions are demanding more money. If I were a studio head I would be hunting for fresh meat. I would be looking for someone who is desperate to get his or her work noticed. Someone who would take less pay and work harder.

As an audience I’m so sick of reality TV and game shows. I want something with more plot and less narcissism.

I wonder if Hollywood agents are regulated by unions? Perhaps this is why new writers/ directors can’t get their work noticed.

I was gonna post a thread about this in the screenwriters section before I saw

this one. I Just read this quote the other day.

[quote]“It’s a typical management tactic,â€

Great article DexPac!

Jesus, the WGA sounds like the Mafia! What are they going to do if they find out you’re a replacement (scab)?

Cut off your hands?! Leave a bloody horse’s head in your bed?!

It doesn’t sound like they’re trying to protect their members at all. It’s more like they are trying to bully non-union members into joining. It’s crap. There are many talented non-union people who can write for a silly sitcom. Those bastards at the WGA want to bogart all of the opportunities! Bastards! >:(

Great article… talk about blacklisting. I thought that was done and over with way back in the , what 50’s… Give a guy a break. Or gal for that matter. Unions have this mentality about crossing the picket line. The WGA is just another union I guess.

[quote=“LadySnow”]
Great article DexPac!

Jesus, the WGA sounds like the Mafia! What are they going to do if they find out you’re a replacement (scab)?

Cut off your hands?! Leave a bloody horse’s head in your bed?!

It doesn’t sound like they’re trying to protect their members at all. It’s more like they are trying to bully non-union members into joining. It’s crap. There are many talented non-union people who can write for a silly sitcom. Those bastards at the WGA want to bogart all of the opportunities! Bastards! >:(

[/quote]

If they own all the good writers they own the world!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!