British Youth Culture films

Hello,

I’m writing an essay for my psychology class on the trends of the British Youth Culture films and I was wondering which ones I should look at. So please give me your recomendations.

Trainspotting

London Kills Me

and also, whats that one film called, i think it was irish about a bunch of kids who steal cars and race from dublin to belfast (or vice versa i cant remember)

[quote=“Bexi”]
Hello,

I’m writing an essay for my psychology class on the trends of the British Youth Culture films and I was wondering which ones I should look at. So please give me your recomendations.
[/quote]

I dunno but what about Billy Elliot?? And what’s with the avatar Bexi??

[quote]And what’s with the avatar Bexi??[/quote]
hmmmmmm

I think movies like Trainspotting is a good movie to understand the British youth culture. So you have to read the book too, written by Irvine Welsh. And I recommand you the book of John King too, named Human Punk.

I’m not british (I’m french), but that’s like I represent myself the british youth culture.

I only have one question : do you look for movies about the british youth, or do you look for movie which influence british youth and make their culture ?

[quote=“Ify”]
I dunno but what about Billy Elliot?? And what’s with the avatar Bexi??
[/quote]

lol billy elliot is about coal miners in the 1980s lol

What era? but to name a few…

‘A Room for romeo brass’… Infact any thing by Shane Meadows

call me crazy but… ‘About a Boy’!

‘A Clock Work Orange’

‘Gangster No 1’

‘Quadrophobia’

‘Human Traffic’

‘Twin Town’

‘Withnail & I’

‘Sid & Nacy’

‘Acid House’

‘Scum’

‘Liam’

well yeah, trainspotting would be the obvious choice, and Human Traffic I hear runs along much the same lines (anyone know if its worth watching incidently?)…if you dont mind the fact that its set during the war "Bright Young Things’ is quite good, and I agree with Dillontino on ‘About a boy’, in the sense that it looks at a lot of the problems of ‘fitting in’ and alienation and that sort of stuff…oh and Snatch…alright, it probably doesnt have to much to do with your essay, but its one cool flick!

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
I think movies like Trainspotting is a good movie to understand the British youth culture. So you have to read the book too, written by Irvine Welsh. And I recommand you the book of John King too, named Human Punk.

I’m not british (I’m french), but that’s like I represent myself the british youth culture.

I only have one question : do you look for movies about the british youth, or do you look for movie which influence british youth and make their culture ?
[/quote]

French Youth Culture: Lahaine, that flick is like a copy from my life

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
[/quote]

damm, those french cops are a bunch of bastards in that movie man. Are cops in Paris really that rascial?

[quote=“LetsGoToWork”]
damm, those french cops are a bunch of bastards in that movie man. Are cops in Paris really that rascial?
[/quote]

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
[/quote]

La Haine is pretty good, but don’t believe that all the french are like that !

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
La Haine is pretty good, but don’t believe that all the french are like that !
[/quote]

ofcourse not, cité kids are though, where i grew up my whole life, everyone loves that movie because its all so recognizable, from the clothing down to the behavior (it doesnt just reflect life in french estates but of whole western europe countries, belgium, holland, spain, portugal, maybe even germany)

[quote=“Tim”]
lol billy elliot is about coal miners in the 1980s lol
[/quote]

haha, i haven’t seen Billy Elliot, i just thought it might be about British youth culture because it stars a British youth, ah well.

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
and also, whats that one film called, i think it was irish about a bunch of kids who steal cars and race from dublin to belfast (or vice versa i cant remember)
[/quote]

I think you mean Accelerator.

thats it

[quote=“Jot”]
Human Traffic I hear runs along much the same lines (anyone know if its worth watching incidently?)…[/quote]
it definetly is!!!

one of the craziest and funniest movies I know.

Kid, Smoke a couple of joints, listen to some Beatles and write the fuckin’ paper already. Fuck the movies and fuck the advice you’ve gotten so far on this forum. Just smoke the joint, or take the e or drop the lid–whatver you do–and write the paper and baby go night-night.

[quote=“FiveDollar”]
it definetly is!!!

one of the craziest and funniest movies I know.
[/quote]

groovy, I’ll check it out then…

maybe first, Absolute Beginners.

[quote=“Jot”]
(anyone know if its worth watching incidently)
[/quote]
I watched human traffic when I was very sick with the flu a few years ago. I had a high fever so I cant remember what happened in it, but I know I enjoyed it!