The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Bombed in the UK

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
the answer is simple - the general public are idiots. they’d rather see safe generic bollocks than vital cinema. true cinema is dying as we speak, your lucky to get 3 films released on mainstream screens each year that are watchable. grindhouse was a gutsy move and should be applauded.
[/quote]

it´s true. i watch about 3 or 4 movies in cinemas each year, because todays movies simply suck ass.

on the other hand i watch ton´s of stuff from the 40s,50s,60,70,80s, early 90s on DVD and payTV.

i noticed im seeing less movies at the cinema by the year… but a while back i started buying up allot of old stuff…

anyway if what you guys are saying is true… then the root of the problems probably money…

I dont care about any of this bullshit. Box office/double features/Weinsteins etc. I just think QT should stick to doing his own projects from now on. No more listening to Rodriguez. If RR wants to use CGI-greenscreen and be the new George Lucas, thats cool. But dont fuck with QTs career.

Well the idea was both RR/QT. I think overall people liked it.

[quote=“Scarface”]
False. Ads in the UK back in March were advertising the movie as Grindhouse, not Death Proof. I remember seeing such adverts on Empire Magazine. It was only after Grindhouse flopped in the US that they decided to seperate the 2 movies for the European markets and to release them at a later date.
[/quote]

no it was decided before. i know some persons working for a distributor of the film who told me they were going to split the film up before the us release.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
it´s true. i watch about 3 or 4 movies in cinemas each year, because todays movies simply suck ass.

on the other hand i watch ton´s of stuff from the 40s,50s,60,70,80s, early 90s on DVD and payTV.
[/quote]

i really don’t agree, i keep going to the movies 5 times a week. there are a lot of great stuff out there. plus if you have a cinematheque in your town you have a lot of films to watch every day.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Im sure QT could go freelance and just work at diff studios. He doesnt need the Weinsteins. Theyre greedy fuckin pigs anyways.

I also think the Weinsteins shouldve known better to even let them do the 3 hour Grindhouse thing. Kill Bill was split up for the exact reason Grindhouse failed.
[/quote]

the weinstein give him artistic freedom. if they let him down it will be difficult for qt to find that great a deal somewhere else. i mean come on, he is highly paid to do the films he wants, i am sure he has an adam sandler-level of back ends on his films. so, no, let’s not fuck the weinsteins, they were bold enough to put 100M in grindhouse (too much IMO, they should have make both films back to back for half the price of actual expenses + ads)

PS- all the producers are greedy, it is their nature to be the greediest and meaniest business men on earth :wink:

[quote=“tonyanthony”]

no it was decided before. i know some persons working for a distributor of the film who told me they were going to split the film up before the us release.
[/quote]

Then why were they initially advertising the movie as Grindhouse in the UK, complete with the “2 movies for the price of 1” tagline and all? Not even the most incompetent moron in the marketing business would do such a thing.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I dont care about any of this bullshit. Box office/double features/Weinsteins etc. I just think QT should stick to doing his own projects from now on. No more listening to Rodriguez.

[/quote]

Maybe he should buddy up to Roger again. QT has always needed a friend to bounce ideas off. Its how he works. He soaks up every conversation and remembers alot of scenes from a lot of different movies and combines the two. BTW, I dont know whats up with the RR bashing. He is a pretty cool guy and a huge talent. HE writes movies, music and does one hell of a good job at the edit button (which is a real art to itself). Sin City is the best shot film ever! IMO!

together with planet terror (opening in germany this coming week for example), the two will have made enough money to cover more than just production costs. it’s an instant cult classic, it will sell good on dvd and everyone loved it. so be it. period.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
together with planet terror (opening in germany this coming week for example), the two will have made enough money to cover more than just production costs. it’s an instant cult classic, it will sell good on dvd and everyone loved it. so be it. period.
[/quote]
I saw it at Walmart last week. You had two choices: For $19.97 you could get it (2 disc set) with another dvd that I had never heard of, or you could get the 2 disc set all by itself for $19.97 - either way it was the same price. wtf?

[quote=“Sebastian”]
together with planet terror (opening in germany this coming week for example), the two will have made enough money to cover more than just production costs.
[/quote]

is that a fact?

btw, lots of people didn´t like it/hated it.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
is that a fact?

btw, lots of people didn´t like it/hated it.
[/quote]

btw, lots of people like britney spears and paris hilton.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
btw, lots of people like britney spears and paris hilton.
[/quote]

yeah. so?

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]

[/quote]

Hey, quit trying to sound like me.

8)

death proof opened at number 9 in Ireland even with all the publicity that came with tarantinos press tour. I think piracy is one of the reasons for this though because a lot people of talked to have seen it but didnt go to the cinema.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]

[/quote]
nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
[/quote]

it has nothing to do with nostalgia, most of the movies i watch i have never seen, or wasn´t even born then.

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]
Maybe he should buddy up to Roger again. QT has always needed a friend to bounce ideas off. Its how he works. He soaks up every conversation and remembers alot of scenes from a lot of different movies and combines the two. BTW, I dont know whats up with the RR bashing. He is a pretty cool guy and a huge talent. HE writes movies, music and does one hell of a good job at the edit button (which is a real art to itself). Sin City is the best shot film ever! IMO!
[/quote]

I dont think QT needs anyone, esp Roger Avary. Avary isnt responsible for QTs talents as a writer-director. Also, QT soaks up info from everywhere. Avary isnt the only guy who gave him ideas. Avary needs to prove himself still. He hasnt done anything so far that compares to any of QTs work.

I dont really like any of RRs films besides Desperado and FDTD. I think hes more into film technology than anything else. CGI and good editing dont make a movie. All flash, no substance isnt what I want from movies.

Sin City is a cool looking film, but I still dont think its that great.

RR did a great job with Planet Terror

I cant say Im an RR fan. Im really not. If PT had been released on its own, I never wouldve seen it.