Blaxpoitation Films

[quote=“FiveFingerDeath”]
Black Shampoo (1976)
[/quote]

My review from our Grindhouse marathon:

Here it is! The only movie in the world where a hair stylist mows down a couple of bad guys with a chainsaw!

At first, this movie seemed to take the top spot in my guilty pleasures list. But the more I see it, the more it seems to define 70’s exploitation cinema at it’s almost finest. Funky musical score,wild fashions,gratuitous sex/nudity/violence,politically incorrect attitudes and over-the-top characters. It’s all here.

Probably the only fault I initally had with it was that John Daniels (Who plays “Mr. Johnathan”) certainly looks the part of the tough guy/stud, but he displays about 2% charisma throughout the whole movie. But then I thought what if someone like Fred Williamson or Jim Brown played the lead character. For this type of movie, it just wouldn’t work. So a fresh face was wisely chosen.

As a blaxploitation flick,midnight movie, Mystery Science Theater movie…It doesn’t matter. Black Shampoo seems to work well on any wild occasion.

Hell Up In Harlem (1974)

Black Caesar (1973)
[/quote]
Just stick to Caesar. I haven’t seen a better performance and character from Fred Williamson. The sequel missed the boat by making “Tommy” an action hero rather than the tragic, hell-bent mafioso he protrayed the first time.

Across 110th Street (1972)
[/quote]
I don’t really consider this one a blaxpo. Yes, it’s got a large black cast, but the grittiness of this rough & tough caper easily crosses over as one of the underrated,rugged crime thrillers of the 70’s. Fantastic performances as well from Quinn,Kotto,Paul Benjamin and Tony Franciosa.

Truck Turner (1974)
[/quote]
I’m the one that called this the Hard-Boiled of the blaxploitation genre and I still stand by that statement. The most action-packed blaxpo out there. Believe that!

Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970)
[/quote]
A subdued caper with some light-hearted, political tones. The two leading cops, “Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones” are quite a joy to watch and I aint surprised that a sequel followed more adventures with these two (But I still haven’t seen that yet)

Shaft (1971)

Shafts Big Score (1972)
[/quote]
First one’s legendary, of course. And the sequel ups the ante in action. Yet, I still find the 3rd movie,Shaft in Africa to be the most enjoyable and entertaining out of all 3 movies.

Black Mama, White Mama (1972)
[/quote]
An okay start, but things begin to get dull and uninspired towards the end.

Slaughter (1972)

Slaughter’s Big Rip-off (1973)
[/quote]
Both movies have their weaknesses and strong points, but I give a slight overall edge to “Rip-off” of the two. It has more of a harder impact than by-the-numbers orginal (Although the sequel lacks Slaughter’s sidekick played by Don Gordon, who I surprisingly liked)

J.D’s Revenge (1976)
[/quote]
One of my most favorites of the genre. Some of the results involving the wicked J.D. WALKER are unintentionally comical, while other moments are surprisingly tense (Rape scene, for instance) One that shouldn’t be missed!

Black belt Jones (1974)
[/quote]
I haven’t see too many PG-rated blaxpos, but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is the most pleasing movie of the bunch. The action sequences are all fun and Gloria Hendry almost steals the show from the one and only, Jim Kelly. BTW, no DVD has still been announced yet. Are you thinking of getting a VHS copy or a DVD bootleg?

Hammer (1972)
[/quote]
I’ve only seen this once and have vague memories of it. I just remember that it was decent enough for one viewing and that was about it.

[quote=“Laydback”]

My review from our Grindhouse marathon:

Here it is! The only movie in the world where a hair stylist mows down a couple of bad guys with a chainsaw!

At first, this movie seemed to take the top spot in my guilty pleasures list. But the more I see it, the more it seems to define 70’s exploitation cinema at it’s almost finest. Funky musical score,wild fashions,gratuitous sex/nudity/violence,politically incorrect attitudes and over-the-top characters. It’s all here.

Probably the only fault I initally had with it was that John Daniels (Who plays “Mr. Johnathan”) certainly looks the part of the tough guy/stud, but he displays about 2% charisma throughout the whole movie. But then I thought what if someone like Fred Williamson or Jim Brown played the lead character. For this type of movie, it just wouldn’t work. So a fresh face was wisely chosen.

As a blaxploitation flick,midnight movie, Mystery Science Theater movie…It doesn’t matter. Black Shampoo seems to work well on any wild occasion.

Just stick to Caesar. I haven’t seen a better performance and character from Fred Williamson. The sequel missed the boat by making “Tommy” an action hero rather than the tragic, hell-bent mafioso he protrayed the first time.

I don’t really consider this one a blaxpo. Yes, it’s got a large black cast, but the grittiness of this rough & tough caper easily crosses over as one of the underrated,rugged crime thrillers of the 70’s. Fantastic performances as well from Quinn,Kotto,Paul Benjamin and Tony Franciosa.

I’m the one that called this the Hard-Boiled of the blaxploitation genre and I still stand by that statement. The most action-packed blaxpo out there. Believe that!

A subdued caper with some light-hearted, political tones. The two leading cops, “Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones” are quite a joy to watch and I aint surprised that a sequel followed more adventures with these two (But I still haven’t seen that yet)

First one’s legendary, of course. And the sequel ups the ante in action. Yet, I still find the 3rd movie,Shaft in Africa to be the most enjoyable and entertaining out of all 3 movies.

An okay start, but things begin to get dull and uninspired towards the end.

Both movies have their weaknesses and strong points, but I give a slight overall edge to “Rip-off” of the two. It has more of a harder impact than by-the-numbers orginal (Although the sequel lacks Slaughter’s sidekick played by Don Gordon, who I surprisingly liked)

One of my most favorites of the genre. Some of the results involving the wicked J.D. WALKER are unintentionally comical, while other moments are surprisingly tense (Rape scene, for instance) One that shouldn’t be missed!

I haven’t see too many PG-rated blaxpos, but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is the most pleasing movie of the bunch. The action sequences are all fun and Gloria Hendry almost steals the show from the one and only, Jim Kelly. BTW, no DVD has still been announced yet. Are you thinking of getting a VHS copy or a DVD bootleg?

I’ve only seen this once and have vague memories of it. I just remember that it was decent enough for one viewing and that was about it.
[/quote]

SHit dude! your the fuckin man! Im kinda bummed that Across 110th Street is questionable when it comes too the genre, oh well ill have to decide for myself. Is there more reasons why it might not be blxploitaion? As for black belt jones ill probly wait for the official DVD (crossing fingers) cause it looks amazing ive seen a bunch of clips on youtube. Thanks for the reviews.

Black Belt Jones
[quote=“Laydback”]
[/quote]

Imbd says its rated R in the USA, and banned in Norway (1974 - 2003). Where did you get the pg-rating from?

Black Belt Jones
[quote=“Laydback”]
[/quote]

Imbd says its rated R in the USA, and banned in Norway (1974 - 2003). Where did you get the pg-rating from?

mahbad. Always thought it was PG because it’s pretty harmless. I don’t remember any bloody killings and there isn’t any sex/nudity. Maybe it’s for a few F-bombs that I didn’t notice.

Black Belt Jones has a hilarious trailer. “The fastest, meanest, toughest motha ever to hit the big screen”

How’s Black Gunn? Just found it at a site that sells alot of exploitation blootlegs.

[quote=“me”]
How’s Black Gunn? Just found it at a site that sells alot of exploitation blootlegs.
[/quote]

I thought it was a dud. The only thing I remember most about it are the laughable stunt doubles when Jim Brown is battling a honky in a living room.

my 2 favorite blaxploitation films have to be Coffy and Truck Turner. Just rented slaughter about to watch it tonight.

I like Coffy.

Yeah, its probably my favorite over truck turner. For some reason foxy brown is very popular, but it is the un official sequel to coffy, which is a much better film. Even Jack hill on the commentary for foxy brown said coffy was a better film.

Its weird that you like Coffy but not Foxy Brown they go together so well.

dont get me wrong foxy brown is good, but coffy is so much better thatn it.

Well I saw FB before I ever saw Coffy so maybe thats why its so special to me.

[quote=“me”]
Well I saw FB before I ever saw Coffy so maybe thats why its so special to me.
[/quote]

Yea, me too. I seen it in the pam grier boxset when i bought it, I kept hearing so much abour FB, I watched it first then i watched coffy right after and loved it.

[quote=“Jjp”]
dont get me wrong foxy brown is good, but coffy is so much better thatn it.
[/quote]

Word. Foxy Brown isn’t that good. I’ve seen both so I would know.

I would have to say, out of griers 70s films, her weakest is Sheba Baby. I did enjoy Girdler’s grizzly though.

just rented the human tornado.

just got around to watching it, it was pretty good 7/10 on the blaxploiation meter. The Toy Scene was really weird.

I wanna see Truck Turner, I still haven’t seen Coffy and Foxy Brown yet either…