Blaxpoitation Films

How cool is this! Posters and audio clips!

Radio spot

Radio spot

Radio spot

Radio spot

Radio spot

Radio spot

those audio trailers are awesome, thanks man

i want those posters sooooo bad, imagine them all in a row, framed, 70’s black theatre like, damn

Saturday 26th November

BBC2

00.25 Superfly

Amazing! Any chance of letting me know nearer the time as I’ll most likely forget. ;D

Those posters are frickin’ awesome especially the Black Caesar and Cleopatra Jones ones. They’d look great along w/ the ones I own for Truck Turner, Hit!, The Spook Who Sat By the Door,and The Harder They Come.

[quote=“j_c”]
Amazing! Any chance of letting me know nearer the time as I’ll most likely forget. ;D
[/quote]

My mistake jc. It’s this Saturday and not on Boxing Day (which is on a Monday) and so post is amended above.

hey common people what about Ragtime!? >:(This is a great blaxpoitation film ( if not blaxpoitation then as close as possible while being a “drama” ) and it has Samuel Jackson in it, he only gets 1 close up why don’t you guys try and look for him in the credits I think youll be surprised! ;D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082970/

[quote=“Clinton Morgan”]
Saturday 26th November

BBC2

00.25 Superfly

[/quote]

great! thanks, i sold my copy just recently

[quote=“Clinton Morgan”]
My mistake jc. It’s this Saturday and not on Boxing Day (which is on a Monday) and so post is amended above.
[/quote]

So it’s on tomorrow then?

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/pr … 4_56067_90”>http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=saturday&service_id=4224&filename=20051126/20051127_0025_4224_56067_90</LINK_TEXT>

thank ya johnathan.

Some more:

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

dude, keep em coming! lovin it, burning em all to cd, i love trailers for some reason, especially 70’s ones, props!

ragtime’s director is white, not to mention half teh cast. Ragtime isnt a blaxploitation

[quote=“Angel”]
ragtime’s director is white, not to mention half teh cast. Ragtime isnt a blaxploitation
[/quote]

This is usually a problem when it comes to the classifications on what is a blaxpoitation movie. To me, the ones that should only count are the ones that take place in the present time (The 70’s) and become exploitive remakes (Shall we say) ranging from Warner Bros gangster films (Black Ceasar) horror, (Blacula) and lending a thing or two from previous crime flicks like Asphalt Jungle and Get Carter (Cool Breeze & Hit Man, respectively)

The ones that take place in different times/eras (Like Mandingo/Legend of Nigga Charly/Book of Numbers) seem to stretch it a bit, far as I’m concerned. And it’s unfair to label every black film that came out of the 70’s as blaxploitation such as Cooley High and Black Girl, among several others. Yes, black casts were prominent in most of these movies, but if it’s guns,sex/nudity,wild music,and action you’re looking for…Let the poster-artwork give you an idea on what you should choose. 8)

Also add Russ Meyer’s ‘Blacksnake’ to that list Laydback.

Don’t forget Larry Cohen who directed the respected ‘Black Caesar’ (itself an updating of Jimmy Cagney films such as ‘Little Caeser’) is white and is also considered a very good director. He also was the one who directed ‘Original Gangstas’ released in 1996 and featured blaxploitation stars such as Pam Grier (‘Coffy’), Richard Roundtree (‘Shaft’), Fred Williamson (‘Black Caesar’) who also produced the film, Jim Brown (‘Black Gunn’) and Ron O’Neal ('Superfly). You might have seen the trailer for this one on the ‘Jackie Brown’ DVD. Robert Forster is in the film as well. I cannot say if it is good or not as I have not seen it…yet. Most recent movie Larry Cohen has done was to write the screenplay for ‘Phone Booth’.

The term blaxploitation was actually used to condemn films like ‘The Mack’ and ‘Superfly’. Rev Jesse Jackson hated them. Melvin Van Peebles has said, " They removed the political content [From ‘Sweet Sweetback’s Baad Asssss Song’], added caricature and lo and behold blaxploitation was born." Quentin Tarantino has argued that yes that “genre” has those unsavoury elements but at the same time “it’s crime cinema” and those who are arguing against those films are saying, "blacks shouldn’t make crime films."

Doesn’t ‘Black Mama White Mama’ also fit into the genre of the “women in prison” films such as ‘The Big Bird Cage’ and ‘Caged Heat’?

Wasn’t ‘Superfly’ good. I want that soundtrack.

[quote=“Clinton Morgan”]
He also was the one who directed ‘Original Gangstas’

I cannot say if it is good or not as I have not seen it…yet.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen it. And it’s um…Terrible.

But apparently there’s a number of guys out there who think otherwise about it. But let me just say that the budget was sooo low on this, they actually had to use footage from Colors (1988) to fill in for most of the action sequences. Like no one wouldn’t notice ::slight_smile:

Usually all movies that featured Pam Grier that were made in that era were often thrown into the blaxploitation barrel. And that included most of those Women-In-Prison flicks you mentioned.

I talked about my love for Superfly over at the VC board. Stop by and visit.

And some more:

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

A Region1 collection released in time for the hollidays (Includes Coffy/Foxy Brown/Sheba Baby_

A bonus disc has interviews with rappers and singers discussing Pam’s impact and legacy.

One last batch:

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot

Radio Spot