Bette Davis

No way, Leslie Howard to me was the standout performance. Though he looked down on movies (Leslie Howard) and only acted in them for the money, he loved the theater. But he worked with a few great actresses like Ingrid Bergman in Intermezzo: A Love Story and of course Bette Davis and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. I think I liked him better in The Petrified Forest than in Of Human Bondage, I mean just the way he spoke the dialogue as this lost soul who finally finds fate in a young wishful girl in the middle of the desert.

BTW,: Cabin In The Cotton is on youtube, just search and watch it dude! The VHS is over 30 dollars! I ordered “Dangerous” on VHS for twelve bucks, I just need to buy those cables to hook up my old VCR to see it. There is no DVD release for those two films.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
No way, Leslie Howard to me was the standout performance. Though he looked down on movies (Leslie Howard) and only acted in them for the money, he loved the theater. But he worked with a few great actresses like Ingrid Bergman in Intermezzo: A Love Story and of course Bette Davis and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. I think I liked him better in The Petrified Forest than in Of Human Bondage, I mean just the way he spoke the dialogue as this lost soul who finally finds fate in a young wishful girl in the middle of the desert.

BTW,: Cabin In The Cotton is on youtube, just search and watch it dude! The VHS is over 30 dollars! I ordered “Dangerous” on VHS for twelve bucks, I just need to buy those cables to hook up my old VCR to see it. There is no DVD release for those two films.
[/quote]

Cool, I’ll look it up.

I really liked Leslie Howard when he first wandered in. Then he kept talking. And talking. I really wanted to like him.

The Petrified Forest: Lucky that it was the movie Bogart became big from. They really didn’t do the job of adapting the play from the stage and into film form. But the Bette Davis thing stands. So cute. Hell of an actress.

Have you seen “Of Human Bondage”?

Anyways I liked his character from beginning to end, it’s a very dark comical film in a way, once Humphrey Bogart steps in with his fleeing gang, it’s like everyone is just facing their own mortality and they become wishful and regret so many things like the rich couple - I don’t remember the name of the woman. I saw the film once when I bought it, it’s a good film to put on at night and just fall asleep to it - not because it’s boring, but there’s something so serene about it.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
The Petrified Forest: Lucky that it was the movie Bogart became big from. They really didn’t do the job of adapting the play from the stage and into film form. But the Bette Davis thing stands. So cute. Hell of an actress.
[/quote]

I’ve never read the play, but I read that it was a very popular one, and they tried to change the ending of the film to a happy one, but the whole thing just didn’t click, so they shifted back to its original end.

I’ll agree that this was a rather “light” character for Bette Davis, it just shows you the range she had. She was sweeter than lemon pie. Somehow she reminded me of Luke Skywalker who was just trapped in this boring ass planet when he knew he could do so much more. The same with Bette, she wanted to get out and see the world.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Have you seen “Of Human Bondage”?

Anyways I liked his character from beginning to end, it’s a very dark comical film in a way, once Humphrey Bogart steps in with his fleeing gang, it’s like everyone is just facing their own mortality and they become wishful and regret so many things like the rich couple - I don’t remember the name of the woman. I saw the film once when I bought it, it’s a good film to put on at night and just fall asleep to it - not because it’s boring, but there’s something so serene about it.
[/quote]

I certainly like the idea of it and at times I saw it achieving what it was going for but most of the time it was just a movie of a stage play, with the actors even talking like there on fucking stage and yelling to the back of the theater. Just didn’t click.

Never seen Of Human Bondage, that was one of the ones I saw here and was gonna check out though so thanks.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I’ve never read the play, but I read that it was a very popular one, and they tried to change the ending of the film to a happy one, but the whole thing just didn’t click, so they shifted back to its original end.

I’ll agree that this was a rather “light” character for Bette Davis, it just shows you the range she had. She was sweeter than lemon pie. Somehow she reminded me of Luke Skywalker who was just trapped in this boring ass planet when he knew he could do so much more. The same with Bette, she wanted to get out and see the world.
[/quote]

;D Luke Skywalker…

I’ve never read the play either but the way the film is presented and acted, it’s like a fucking play!

The bad news about “Of Human Bondage” is that you won’t find ONE single copy that has been restored. The sound is terrible on ALL DVDs, and the picture quality which of course takes out so much from the film. But don’t let that discourage you. This film was the launching pad for Bette Davis’ formidable career and she received her first Academy Award nomination for her role as Mildred. That’s where the famous “Wipe my mouth” line came from.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
The bad news about “Of Human Bondage” is that you won’t find ONE single copy that has been restored. The sound is terrible on ALL DVDs, and the picture quality which of course takes out so much from the film. But don’t let that discourage you. This film was the launching pad for Bette Davis’ formidable career and she received her first Academy Award nomination for her role as Mildred. That’s where the famous “Wipe my mouth” line came from.
[/quote]

Cool. If it’s a good movie the quality won’t bother me too much, just frustrate me a bit. But if you say it’s good…

;D Luke Skywalker…

I’ve never read the play either but the way the film is presented and acted, it’s like a fucking play!
[/quote]

If you look essentially into the core of Luke Skywalker during that part of the film in Star Wars, that’s exactly how the Bette Davis character in Petrified Forest feels. The sense of being trapped in a place that just doesn’t appeal to their sense of lifestyle and intellectual abilities; she likes to write and paint and in that desert she’s just an employee for her father.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I have tremendous respect for the dead
[/quote]

So what were those Carradine cracks all about?

What Carradine cracks. Don’t trash my awesome topic. I noticed all the Bette Davis forums haven’t been posted on since last year! SHOCKED

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
If you look essentially into the core of Luke Skywalker during that part of the film in Star Wars, that’s exactly how the Bette Davis character in Petrified Forest feels. The sense of being trapped in a place that just doesn’t appeal to their sense of lifestyle and intellectual abilities; she likes to write and paint and in that desert she’s just an employee for her father.
[/quote]

No I see the connection, I just think the comparison is funny. She really was something in that movie though.

Whoa, I was gone for like two minutes and I come back to some shit about Carradine cracks from a month ago!

The movie really is all dialogue and all done in one location, it almost had a Joseph Mankiewicz feel to it, but I never found it boring or felt that it sagged anywhere. I guess I like films where they talk more - these days most people are used to movies that have a lot of action and move fast. Like the cutting in Public Enemies for example, the film moves fast - and there’s nothing wrong with that. It just comes to show how much people can tolerate some slow talking pictures (which is a few) and most will turn to the modern stuff that just has explosions and whatnot.

No I see the connection, I just think the comparison is funny. She really was something in that movie though.
[/quote]

- YouTube

Check out this great scene from Bondage.

I love me a talky flick (I’m on a Tarantino board) but the dialogue has to be of a quality. I just wasn’t feeling the delivery or quality of the writing.

Was it just me or was this not even a particularly good Bogart performance? I mean I love him doing anything, if he was sleeping in a movie I was like “that’s some amazing sleeping!”, but he was barely better than the rest of the cast.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
- YouTube

Check out this great scene from Bondage.
[/quote]

Wow. She was a pimp, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I don’t know if that was the intention but when it cut to the POV shots it gave me an eerie vibe. I think I’ll be getting this movie.

Well he created a new breed of gangster. There was Cagney who had all the wise-cracking jokes, y’know The Cowboy type. And Bogart brought more of a psychopathic edge to it with those haunted eyes and ailing heart. I mean he was waiting for his sweetheart all along in the film, that is why they were holding up there. Once she came to him they were going straight for the border. Bogart was a late bloomer much like George Clooney, and that’s what he did with this. He became Marlowe (not a gangster but still).

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Well he created a new breed of gangster. There was Cagney who had all the wise-cracking jokes, y’know The Cowboy type. And Bogart brought more of a psychopathic edge to it with those haunted eyes and ailing heart. I mean he was waiting for his sweetheart all along in the film, that is why they were holding up there. Once she came to him they were going straight for the border. Bogart was a late bloomer much like George Clooney, and that’s what he did with this. He became Marlowe (not a gangster but still).
[/quote]

In his long and varied career this really wasn’t on par with any of his performances.