Basterds coverage (videos, pictures, etc) ticker

[quote=“HEinDC”][quote=“Sebastian”]<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/08/27/what … tarantino/”>http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/08/27/what-happened-to-quentin-tarantino/</LINK_TEXT>

interesting article. i’m quoted in it a bit… what do u think?[/quote]

The article seems fairly incoherent to me. Like this part:

[quote]And while Tarantino used to be considered a kinetic, fast-paced filmmaker, much of Basterds is deliberately paced, with stately camerawork and carefully composed shots; fast cutting and slow motion are mostly used for brief scenes of violence.[/quote]

When, exactly, has Tarantino been a “kinetic, fast-paced filmmaker” in the way those terms are defined here? Where’s all the fast-cutting in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction? Careful composition and long dialogue sequences were the hallmark of those movies as well. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is definitely kinetic and fast-paced in its editing, but I don’t think his other films can be described that way.

This part doesn’t make much sense to me either:

[quote]The most surprising thing about Inglourious Basterds is that for a director who used to epitomize the future of moviemaking, Tarantino now seems like an Old Hollywood director. Whereas Pulp Fiction used a series of time jumps, making non-linear storytelling the norm for independent filmmakers, Inglourious Basterds tells its story, about two different groups of people plotting to destroy a movie theatre where high-ranking Nazis are attending a premiere, in a very linear way.[/quote]

Non-linearity for its own sake–which seems to be the the way this article understands it–is not what interests QT about that technique. As he put it in a recent TV interview, his preference is to have the story unfold gradually, as opposed to setting up a premise in the first 15-20 minutes and then spending the rest of the film delivering on it. Pulp Fiction does that by spinning around the same set of characters to give you little parts of their stories in different order; IB does it in a different way, by establishing each set of characters separately before bringing them all together.

My point is, IB’s approach isn’t any more “Old Hollywood” than PF’s is. I’ve seen more than enough old Hollywood movies to know that IB’s structure–three separate chapters with minimal overlap that all build to the same climax–is not at all typical of classic Hollywood (nor, really, is it typical of current day films). QT didn’t invent non-linear storytelling with PF, but just because it seemed more unusual at the time than IB’s structure does now doesn’t mean that QT is getting “old” or “stale” or whatever the article is trying to say.[/quote]

I agree completely the article was poorly written and the thesis of its argument is profoundly stupid and misinformed. It was obviously written by someone who know nothing about film. Saying that QT doesn’t have the cultural impact that he had during the Pulp Fiction days is hardly earth shattering, no artist can have that level of influence for more than a couple of years. he’s still the most publicly recognised director after speilberg and scorsese.

QT is in Tel Aviv:

TEL AVIV, Israel — Quentin Tarantino says the most important part of his first-ever visit to Israel is to gauge the Jewish audience’s reaction to his latest boundary-breaking film.

“Inglourious Basterds” tells the fictional story of a band of World War II-era Jewish-American soldiers turned vigilantes, who slaughter and scalp Nazi soldiers as retribution for the Holocaust.

Tarantino, who also wrote the screenplay for the unconventional “Basterds,” defended his work of historical fiction and called the bloodbath of its Nazi characters a different brand of World War II film.

“To me, taboos are made to be broken. They’re meant to be pushed over,” Tarantino said Tuesday at a news conference ahead of the film’s Israeli premiere. “One of the things that I think is a drag a little bit about movies dealing with World War II for the last 20 years is that … all the movies have really focused in on the victimization of World War II.”

The controversial filmmaker said he wanted to create a Western-inspired adventure story instead. The unorthodox film depicts an alternate universe in which all the top leadership of the Nazi Party are brutally killed in a single night.

“I’ll be seeing it for the first time in an Israeli cinema. I’ll be seeing it for the first time with an Israeli audience,” Tarantino said. “I’m interested to see, ‘OK, are there laughs here? Does the suspense work here as well as it works somewhere else?’”

Tarantino was joined in Israel by the film’s producer Lawrence Bender and one of its lead actors, Christoph Waltz, who plays an offbeat SS colonel dubbed “The Jew Hunter.”

The group also traveled together in Israel and visited Jerusalem’s Holocaust museum.

Bender, who has collaborated with Tarantino on several other projects including “Pulp Fiction,” “Reservoir Dogs” and the violent pair of “Kill Bill” movies, was the first Jewish person to read the script after Tarantino completed the final draft.

“I told him, as a fan, I thank you. As a producer, I thank you. As a member of the Jewish tribe, I thank you,” Bender said.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … gD9ANR7Q00”>http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j1CgHPTRa1aPkz4TSwjLuj5wBsegD9ANR7Q00</LINK_TEXT>

Now we have to the audience reaction cause that’s the most delicate issue here. Not sure how they react. Fans will always be fans, no matter the nationality but regular israeli audience, hum… not sure what they’d say.

My family is originally from Israel, and I still have a lot of relatives living there. I think audiences there will definitely enjoy the movie.

Israelis in general aren’t as sensitive about WWII/Holocaust-related movies as is sometimes assumed. There was some concern in the media about Der Untergang back when it opened in Israel, but the general audiences supported it, and the film did quite well there. Obviously IB is an extremely different sort of film from that, but I’m betting most Israeli movie fans who see it will really enjoy it.

At the press conference and premiere in Tel Aviv

The title in Hebrew behind the three of them is literally “Bastards Lacking Honor.”

This article reports that the premiere was a big success. It includes a 2 minute YouTube clip of QT introducing the movie, bringing Bender and Waltz onstage, and then going nuts in that QT way about the audience being ready to “fuck up some Nazis”…LOL.

Quentin Tarantino in San Sebastian

The stars of Tarantino’s latest film Inglourious Basterds have begun arriving in the Guipuzcoa capital.

The director of Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino, arrived in San Sebastian on Thursday in preparation for the presentation of his latest work on Friday 18th September, the opening day of the Festival. He is expected to hold a press conference alongside his main star Brad Pitt at 6.15 pm in the Kursaal. As long as it doesn’t rain, the stars will then take the habitual “stroll” from the Maria Cristina hotel to the Victoria Eugenia theatre.

website has a video of QT arriving

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.eitb.com/en/news/detail/2436 … sebastian/”>http://www.eitb.com/en/news/detail/243667/quentin-tarantino-in-san-sebastian/</LINK_TEXT>

;D

‘Basterds’ passes $100 million overseas

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 … 1&nid=2584”>http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008736.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2584</LINK_TEXT>

“Basterds” will soon become the top Tarantino performer on both the international and domestic fronts.

“Pulp Fiction” cumed $106 million internationally and $107.9 million domestically; “Kill Bill Vol. 1” cumed $110.9 million internationally vs. a domestic total of $70.1 million, while “Vol. 2” grossed $86 million overseas vs. $66.2 million domestically.

^ I like the fact they are saying “Cumed in” ;D

[quote=“G”]^ I like the fact they are saying “Cumed in” ;D[/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I didn’t even notice that until you pointed it out.

Quentin Tarantino poses at the Inglourious Basterds photocall in San Sebastian, Spain on September 19, 2009.

Brad’s shoes :smiley:

Whoa! Brad’s a total wanker. Hahaha.

I love QT’s outfit. He’s so awesome. I want to have his babies.

At bthe Italian premiere in Rome on September 21

[quote=“moussemaker”]At bthe Italian premiere in Rome on September 21

[/quote]

Are those cardboard stand-ups? They don’t look real.

Eli Roth’s face looks grey ???

Oh wow, it’s a gray faced, card board cut out of Eli Roth with Quentin Tarantino. They seem so real compared to most…

man - eli roth looks coked out of his mind!

from Eli’s Twitter http://twitter.com/eliroth

:smiley:

Ahah. Christoph Waltz looks like Tim Roth with his new haircut and the beard.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Ahah. Christoph Waltz looks like Tim Roth with his new haircut and the beard.[/quote]

Haha! HE DOES!