Bad Lieutenant

This movie was amazing. Not only was it Harvey Keitel’s best performance, but one of the best performances I have ever seen. The ending really suprised me.

It didn’t really do much for me. In fact I found it quite disappointing, especially after all the fuss I’ve heard about it. Ferrara holds the shots for too long just so he could surpass the 90 minute mark. And I don’t like directors who like to be controversial for the sake of being controversial. How many times did I have to see Keitel taking drugs and doing bad deeds? It got tiring after a while, especially since it was never explained why he possesses such a corrupted soul.

Keitel’s brilliant performance barely saves this movie IMO.

I liked how they held the scenes out longer than they should have because it shows his life.

The scene with Jesus was pretty intense.

Its been a year or two since I’ve seen it, but I loved that movie. Keitel’s performance, particularly within the last few minutes, is just amazing.

I love that scene where he gets pissed off and shoots the radio so unexpecting.

[quote=“rollingthunder”]
I love that scene where he gets pissed off and shoots the radio so unexpecting.
[/quote]

Yeah, I just watched the movie. That scene is fucking hysterical.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Ferrara holds the shots for too long just so he could surpass the 90 minute mark.
[/quote]

I agree how one could be distraught for not seeing the explanation for a corrupted soul, but the way Ferrara left shots linging (Especially the last frame) has never been done better.

The other day I saw Reservoir Dogs and Bad Lieutenant double feature DVD, I would have bought it but I already have 2 RD dvds.

So it’s pretty good?

[quote=“Jack Rabbit Slim”]
The other day I saw Reservoir Dogs and Bad Lieutenant double feature DVD, I would have bought it but I already have 2 RD dvds.

So it’s pretty good?
[/quote]

Very odd of the company to put those 2 movies together. I’m assuming just for the Keitel connection rather than the themes. Because this was one of the most darkest movies that came out of the 90’s.

Yeah i own the R version but the nc-17 version is so much better, if you buy it make sure you get the NC-17 version.

I will.

[quote=“Laydback”]
Very odd of the company to put those 2 movies together. I’m assuming just for the Keitel connection rather than the themes. Because this was one of the most darkest movies that came out of the 90’s.
[/quote]

Yeah, I assumed it was more of the Keitel connection.

Thought I would tell you Bad Lieutenant is getting remade :frowning:

A contemporary re-imagining of Abel Ferrara’s 1992 cult hit “Bad Lieutenant” is in the works it seems says The Los Angeles Times.

Billy Finkelstein (TV’s “Murder One,” “Law & Order,” “NYPD Blue”) has been hired to pen “Bad Lieutenant '08”, a feature described as "less a sequel or a prequel than an attempt to take the raw material of the original film and weave it into 21st century, post- 9/11 New York."

The original NC-17 rated crime drama had Harvey Keitel playing a nameless, self-destructive New York City cop into drugs, gambling, theft, debasing women, and hookers. While investigating a nun’s rape, he begins to reflect on his lifestyle and tries to change his ways.

In the new version the tortured Lieutenant has scored a name - Terence McDonough - and gets backstory showing off how he got promoted to his position, his drug addiction, and of course all the requisite violence, drug use and sex from the original. The main case he’s investigating this time is the drug-related murder of five Senegalese illegal immigrants.

Finkelstein, currently finishing up a second draft, says "We have to factor in the passage of time and what’s happened in the interim. I don’t know that the same sorts of things that caused us to sit up and take notice 15 years ago are necessarily gonna have the same effect now."

Producer Edward R. Pressman has discussed the new version with Ferrara and Keitel, although neither is attached to the project.

Boy, why would anyone remake Bad Lieutenant? Especially when you’re not even focusing on anything that the film tries to display.

BL is one of those flicks that when I first watched it, I don’t think I really understood where Abel was coming from at first. I kept expecting this big redemption to come along and save Harvey’s character; then watch him go out and bust the bad guys and put them behind bars. It took some understanding to finally figure out that the film isn’t about a man and his job, it’s about a man, his relationship with god and his repentance and willingness to accept forgiveness and forgive himself. When I finally rewatched it with that in mind, it made Keitel’s character all the more harrowing in his attempts and drew me much closer to the film. A brilliant and gritty look at just what true forgiveness is.