2010 - Track Your Films

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
Broken Arrow - 2.5/5

John Woo, come back to America! Don’t make another Broken Arrow, but still, come back![/quote]

Why do you want him to come back to the US? His HK work is much better.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”][quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
Broken Arrow - 2.5/5

John Woo, come back to America! Don’t make another Broken Arrow, but still, come back![/quote]

Why do you want him to come back to the US? His HK work is much better.[/quote]

I love Face/Off, so sue me. I’d give my left nut to see him return to his masterpiece days (THE KILLER!) but I don’t see that happening. I really dug Red Cliff, but I think that golden age is closed.

Roger & Me - 4/5

Never mind his politics, Moore knows how to put together a helluva movie.

I love Face/Off, so sue me. I’d give my left nut to see him return to his masterpiece days (THE KILLER!) but I don’t see that happening. I really dug Red Cliff, but I think that golden age is closed.
[/quote]

As far as I am concerned, the golden age was just a time when HK (and other countries with burgeoning film industries) was rapidly changing, producing tonnes of films, but still working with a very outdated health and safety standard.

Hollywood was too slick and organised by that time to make films of that intensity and genuine danger. That’s why Mad Max/Roadwarrior was so successful, because Australia had woeful safety standards too :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a blessing. All the actors in HK were athletes and artists and the result was amazing. But you’re right, HK is not going back to those days. They can’t put their actors in those risks anymore and most of them are movie stars now, not martial artists.

Let Me In (3/4) - best vampire movie i’ve seen

RARE EXPORTS

3.5/5

Not the best Finnish movie I’ve seen but definitely very cheery one after watching dozens of shitty Finnish movies. The Rare Exports short films are great.

THE GREEN HORNET 6/10

Gets a big fat MEH.

That’s right you suckas, i got to see a super-early press screening for this. Enjoy waiting for it another month, assholes!

Crazy Kenneth away!

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]THE GREEN HORNET 6/10

Gets a big fat MEH.

That’s right you suckas, i got to see a super-early press screening for this. Enjoy waiting for it another month, assholes!

Crazy Kenneth away![/quote]

Well, I wasn’t interested in it at first place O0

well i for one thought it was gonna be great, especially after the first trailer. Kick ass level great, or even greater. didn’t think it would turn out that forgettable Hollywood cookie cutter kind of way.

Did you know Kick Ass was written by Jonathan Ross’ wife? I didn’t know until I watched the Chris Moyles’ Quiz Night. Pretty cool.

[quote=“Angel”][quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
[/quote]

As far as I am concerned, the golden age was just a time when HK (and other countries with burgeoning film industries) was rapidly changing, producing tonnes of films, but still working with a very outdated health and safety standard.

Hollywood was too slick and organised by that time to make films of that intensity and genuine danger. That’s why Mad Max/Roadwarrior was so successful, because Australia had woeful safety standards too :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a blessing. All the actors in HK were athletes and artists and the result was amazing. But you’re right, HK is not going back to those days. They can’t put their actors in those risks anymore and most of them are movie stars now, not martial artists.[/quote]

Damn our safety standards. I’d bet that there are plenty of actors and stuntmen still willing to risk life and limb for movies. If only there was a director as indifferent to getting into trouble, action movies might get somewhere.

Master of the Flying Guillotine - 3.5/5

Damn cool, but I was expecting way more from a movie with such a bad ass villian(?). And that one extending arm fighter just got on my nerves, I draw the line at limbs extending.

Damn our safety standards. I’d bet that there are plenty of actors and stuntmen still willing to risk life and limb for movies. If only there was a director as indifferent to getting into trouble, action movies might get somewhere.
[/quote]

Any director working in the studio system doesn’t have much of a choice really. The only place you’d find directors whose hands aren’t tied when it comes to safety is in the independent film scene. The problem is that most of them aren’t making studio films because they don’t want to make genre pictures, or they don’t have the money so they get creative (like in the case of Reservoir Dogs where virtually all of the heist scene is excised), or they use CG/aftereffects to solve their problems.

One of the biggest issues that Woo faced when he came to the US was the restrictions for an R rating. He had to cut down the amount of shots fired in a scene and the amount of times each person was shot, which in an old Woo film is a lot on both of those counts.

Beneath Hill 60 8/10

Pretty decent Australian war film about a bunch of engineers and miners tasked with tunneling under German lines in World War 1 and detonating explosives. Based on a true story.

Freddy Got Fingered 6/10

Wut? I just don’t even…

What the fuck! I just looked at the date and it really occured to me that this year is already over. Nothing’s happened! Aside from Scott Pilgrim and The Ghost Writer I didn’t give a shit about anything once I left the theater. Oh, and The Last Exorcism. This is like the year that never was, slipping quietly into the night…

Elevator to the Gallows -3.5/5

My first Louis Malle movie, and I ain’t impressed. Maybe I missed something, and I do want to see the movie again because it feels like I did, but I was expecting more from what people said about it. One positive, I kept thinking of Pedro Almodovar. I think he’s taken alot from this movie over the years.

This has been out for a little while, but man this trailer is so fucking awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPe0fHuZsc

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]What the fuck! I just looked at the date and it really occured to me that this year is already over. Nothing’s happened! Aside from Scott Pilgrim and The Ghost Writer I didn’t give a shit about anything once I left the theater. Oh, and The Last Exorcism. This is like the year that never was, slipping quietly into the night…[/quote]

Yup.2010 was a terrible year for movies.

It’s hard to do a good 2010 list until like March.

I’m waiting on Blue Valentine, Somewhere, Black Swan, 127 hours, True Grit. Some more I can’t think of at the moment.

[quote=“Angel”]It’s hard to do a good 2010 list until like March.

I’m waiting on Blue Valentine, Somewhere, Black Swan, 127 hours, True Grit. Some more I can’t think of at the moment.[/quote]

127 Hours seems dumb :frowning:

Mostly for movies you mentioned waiting for True Grit.

I really want to see 127 hours, if only for the part where he cuts his arm off.

[quote=“Angel”]I really want to see 127 hours, if only for the part where he cuts his arm off.[/quote] It’s a Hollywood movie, so most of that will be off camera I’m sure.

The only way I’m gonna watch a movie about some dude going in the mountains is if he fights a Ninja Clan or mercenaries hunt him down or something.

I don’t know. I haven’t heard anything, but I read the page of the script and it describes in great detail the severing of nerves and ripping of muscles. I heard Danny Boyle wanted to do the film for that scene, so it has to be a bit more than a cutaway shot of a rock.

Aside from Somewhere, True Grit was the only other movie I was excited about seeing.

True Grit - 4/5

Shockingly simple, especcially for a Coen Brothers movie, but that isn’t a bad thing. It reminded me of how great a western can be. A simple story told simply, and masterfully.

The Killer - 5/5

It isn’t perfect but fuck me if it doesn’t have me cheering and hollering at my own TV. Showed it to my little brother and he really dug it, started calling me Shrimphead.

Does anyone else see the gay allegory between Little B and Shrimphead. The four other times I’d seen the movie it had never occured to me, but my brother called it like twenty minutes in and I couldn’t get that out of my head the whole rest of the movie.