20 Greatest Directors of all time (by EMPIRE readers)

Anthony Minghella. Yet another ‘worthy’ director. File next to Ridley Scott and Alan Parker and stick a Cadbury’s Flake in him. Only nine true greats on that second list.

I dont agree about Minghella. English Patient is just boring. Talented Mr. Ripley loses a lot after a second viewing. Cold Mountain was just okay.

i bought Empire the other day. Could have guest before opening it Spielberg would win.

Isnt Empire Quentins favorite movie magazine?

[quote=“porkfriedrice”]
Isnt Empire Quentins favorite movie magazine?
[/quote]

Yes, apparently. He loves them, they love him, but for some reason the Empire Readers who post at the Empire forum hate the guy.

Also, In Empire they always do this thing where they state something e.g. “Office Time Waster” or “Small Person” and then have one column for “IN” and one column for “OUT”. In the issue before last, one of their headings was “Special Guest Director” and as “IN” they put Steven Spielberg and as “OUT” they put Quentin Tarantino, which admittedly was a bit of a shock. They never say a bad thing about the great man, and are always licking his arse.

PS. Just out of curiosity, what did Steven Spielberg guest direct? Revenge Of The Sith?

[quote=“Ify”]
Yes, apparently. He loves them, they love him
[/quote]

He probably does. But it would be a bad career move for a director to be critical of a movie magazine. Like acting, filmmaking is an insecure profession.

The list is made by a lot of people…and knowing that…the list is pretty descent!!

Empire is a good magazine by the way! It’s all about the love for cinema and it shows…sure they cant just make articles about genre films, because it aint that kinda magazine…for a magazine that reaches a lot of people and is pretty popular, its pretty good!

They also made these great specials a few years back with the best: crime movies, horror movies, action movies…etc…great stuff!

anybody got these?

Need a hint how they made the list? It’s all about how profitable movies they made, the more money you earn - the better director you are. Some Peter Jackson’s LOTR beats other directors who made much better movies. Yeah sure, everybody agree. For everyone there is his own list.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Need a hint how they made the list? It’s all about how profitable movies they made, the more money you earn - the better director you are. Some Peter Jackson’s LOTR beats other directors who made much better movies. Yeah sure, everybody agree. For everyone there is his own list.
[/quote]

The Empire readers voted for those directors. Are you trying to say that the readers compiled their list purely on how profitable their movies were?

I don’t think The Coen Brother’s movies made more money than George Lucas’ movies

Still Empire readers stand for the standard audience, a nice beautiful group of people that are the main target for Hollywood money-making film directors. Still, there will always be people that can tell good movies from bad ones. The list is somewhat true, I mean we have true great directors there, but between them we see those who just provide thrillers for the biggest possible target audience and A LOT of them read Empire.

Awful list, now all the Jackson fans on IMDB who are like 9 years old having seen LOTR (Which are very bad IMO) are like 'Greatest guy ever’

No, idiots, he’s a B list horror direvtor who sctored luck and over used CGI in a crap film.

Sergio Leone should be 1 with tarantino at number 2.

Alright, first of all…spielberg is a legendary director…just look online at his filmography at movies he’s made and you will realize how many classics he’s made. Regardless of how “commercial” you think he is, that doesn’t change his skills of directing or make his movies bad, so anyone saying sh!t about spielberg doesn’t know what they’re saying. That list wasn’t too bad though…although i don’t think Woody Allen should have been on there…and as great as a person and actor clint eastwood is, i don’t know if he should be the top 20.

please explain! why is this a bad list?

we all pretty much live in democracies or are dominated by them, so this vote isnt so bad in my opinion…

remember: lots of people voted…so if you take that in consideration, it isnt a bad list! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes democracy doesn’t work. Many moons ago BBC Radio 1 had a list of the top 100 albums voted in by listeners and something like Bros or New Kids On The Block was number one. How many in the 16-24 age bracket (I presume Empire’s target audience) have heard of people like Jean Vigo or Michael Powell let alone watch their films. The poll could also be rigged. Here is a quote from ex-Empire editor Andrew Collins.

“Less scrupulous magazines might ‘tweak’ their readers’ polls for a more rounded result (I know this to be the case - I have worked in magazines)”*

More than half of the people in the top ten are still alive and thus available for interview. Flattery, flattery, flattery.

most of the time democracy doesnt work…I dont agree with the list at all, but all I am saying taking in account that a LOT of people voted for this list, it isnt all that bad…

my faith in democracy was worse than this list makes me believe it is…:stuck_out_tongue: