QT on Turner Classic Movies

The sub-section for TV (show) appearances of all sorts...
neptunewan
Cowardly Lion

QT on Turner Classic Movies

Post by neptunewan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 pm

On June 28, 2208, director Quentin Tarantino will be interviewed by noted film critic Elvis Mitchell on his new Turner Classic Movie show, Elvis Mitchell: Under The Influence.

Elvis will also interview Sydney Pollack (his last interview), Bill Murray and Laurence Fishburne. There will be 4 more interviews later in the year. I couldn't figure out how to embed the video, but I'll definately TIVO it when it debuts. I'm working on getting the Sydney Pollack episode online.

July 28, 2008 on Turner Classic Movies at 8:30 pm/ET. You can see a few clips on the link below.
http://www.tcm.com/2008/elvismitchell/index.jsp

Quentin on Caring
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_c ... cid=204749
JULES Fuck nigga, what the fuck did you do to his towel?....
VINCENT Maybe if he had some Lava, I coulda done a better job.
JULES I used the same soap you did and when I dried my hands,
the towel didn't look like no fuckin Maxie pad!

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Re: QT on Turner Classic Movies

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 pm

interesting! thanks for posting

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:46 pm

I watched the first one last night with Sydney Pollack. Cool show but its so short. Its only half and hour long.

neptunewan
Cowardly Lion

Post by neptunewan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:51 pm

PutneySwope wrote: I watched the first one last night with Sydney Pollack. Cool show but its so short. Its only half and hour long.
I know! That's what really sucked about it. I do wish it was at least an hour, but what can you do? Hopefully if its successful they will extend the time. I had a friend to was invited to the QT session and enjoyed it.
JULES Fuck nigga, what the fuck did you do to his towel?....
VINCENT Maybe if he had some Lava, I coulda done a better job.
JULES I used the same soap you did and when I dried my hands,
the towel didn't look like no fuckin Maxie pad!

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:42 am

woops. Damn you! This is what I get for not posting in a long time. I just got through watching the bad and the beautiful.

Mods take down my other topic.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 pm

QTs movie pick is The Marrying Kind starring ALDO RAY  :)

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Biohazard wrote: woops. Damn you! This is what I get for not posting in a long time. I just got through watching the bad and the beautiful.

Mods take down my other topic.
I locked your other topic. Can you delete it, Seb ?

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 am

Great show. QT and Elvis were really talking movie geek style as you'd expect.

QTs first movie that scared him: Last House on The Left

Random Movie related names mentioned: Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese, His Girl Friday, The Marrying Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One thing people who love Kill Bill should know is that QT created alot more background mythology than we'll ever know about. For instance, he said that once a Hanzo sword is taken out of its sheath, it must get some blood on it or a curse is placed on the person who is handling it. So that means you'd have to nick your thumb on it either/or slice someone up with it before you can put it back in its holder.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:04 am

I can't believe he's not a John Huston fan! By the way John Huston once said: "Casting is the most important element in directing." PT Anderson also comes from that same school.

By the way I love Judy Garland in The Wizard Of Oz and The Harvey Girls: when she goes inside the opposing cabaret with those two magnums when she's recovering the meat. Fucking great.

Great interview.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:14 am

PutneySwope wrote: Great show. QT and Elvis were really talking movie geek style as you'd expect.

QTs first movie that scared him: Last House on The Left

Random Movie related names mentioned: Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese, His Girl Friday, The Marrying Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One thing people who love Kill Bill should know is that QT created alot more background mythology than we'll ever know about. For instance, he said that once a Hanzo sword is taken out of its sheath, it must get some blood on it or a curse is placed on the person who is handling it. So that means you'd have to nick your thumb on it either/or slice someone up with it before you can put it back in its holder.
I like the subtext that QT revealed when Budd sees Elle. "Stupid bitch". Ha!

Hey where the fuck is everybody? Every time I get on there's no one around to talk to.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 am

Biohazard wrote: I can't believe he's not a John Huston fan!
I was shocked at this too. But since Hawks and Huston often worked in different genres, it's no surprise that he would perfer Hawks.
PutneySwope wrote: Random Movie related names mentioned: Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese, His Girl Friday, The Marrying Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Forgot Pedro Almodovar. He doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot at this forum, but QT is a BIG Almodovar fan.

The Kill Bill factoid is proof that QT HAS to eventually do a commentary for that movie....Or any other movie of his.  >:(

I really loved the Jimmy Fallon diss.  :D

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:20 am

I stayed up and watched Meet Me In St. Louis and Paper Moon.

I loved Meet  Me In St. Louis, the halloween sequence was very well shot and all. Great story too - they don't make em like they used to. It's a feel good movie, a little gay but cool nonetheless.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:54 am

Sometimes when QT says he doesnt like certain classic directors like Huston and Hitchcock, I think its almost like a competitive thing he has towards them. Those guys were great. Like Woody Allen has the same reaction to Charlie Chaplin. Which is funny to me.

I love Paper Moon, one of my favorite movies. I havent watched Meet Me in St Louis.

Douglas Sirk: After I heard his name come up in Pulp Fiction I watched Magnificent Obsession, Written on The Wind, Imitation of Life. Such beautiful, entertaining 50s melodramas. Been a fan ever since.

Pedro Almodovar: Oops, Forgot him. Ive seen a couple of his films, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down and another one. Cant say Im a big fan.

I still dont think QT will ever do any commentaries on his own movies unless he changes his philosophy about giving up all the info and background on his ideas. I wouldnt mind having just a critic, cast and crew do a commentary track as opposed to nothing at all.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

21grams
Basterd

Post by 21grams » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm

About Almodovar, did you see High Heels (aka Tacones lejanos), All About My Mother (aka Todo sobre mi madre), or Volver? I love those ones =)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Nope. Havent seen those.

21grams
Basterd

Post by 21grams » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't know if you'd like them but I think they're really good. However I haven't seen all of Almodovar's flicks.

Didn't know Tarantino loved him by the way, cool!

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Any way to get a hold of this interview?

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Not sure if the whole thing is online yet, but you can see a couple clips from the show here:

http://www.tcm.com/2008/elvismitchell/index.jsp
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertdiggs36
Real McCoy

Post by robertdiggs36 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 pm

I watched the show at 8 p.m. and then I watched and recorded it at 10:30.  I wanted to watch Meet Me in Saint Louis, but I was being a good uncle and let my niece watch Hannah effin Montana.  I watched the Lawrence Fishburn one last weekend and it seemed long with no commercials.  When I watched Tarantino's it flew by so fast, there was not a millisecond of dead air between Mitchell and Tarantino.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:26 am

interesting three 3 clips. I hope they make the whole conversation available some time. How long is that show?

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:42 am

Sebastian wrote: How long is that show?
30 minutes. But as others have said, it feels like 15 minutes.

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Wow, I haven´t seen it.
Can anyone post the names of the favourite movies he mentioned.
Which films of  Almodovar, Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese he named.
What did he say about Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:22 pm

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=201677

Woops, your out of luck. no video.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Judy Garland he showed "Meet Me In St. Louis" - he saw that film with his girlfriend,a dn The Aldo Ray film was.....er...damn i forgot.

the subject was melodrama and how he loved it and how it is impossible to show it to audiences today. Almdovar is the only guy who can do it.....this interview is at least 3 months old.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 pm

it was the marrying kind, by george Cukor, with Judy Holliday (check out The bells are Ringing by Minelli.. her costar in this film is Dean Martin... fantastic film!)

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm

does anybody owns a copy?

I heard he said that magnificent obsession is his favourite movie th show an younger audience ...

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:03 pm

of marrying kind? i do have an old videotape but the film is out on DVD now.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 pm

BioBasterd wrote: the subject was melodrama and how he loved it and how it is impossible to show it to audiences today.
100% correct. This is because we live in a time where audiences are oversaturated by TVs and movies' ficional drama. This is part of the reason why cold hearted cynical bastards and bitches today roll their eyes at "old school" movie meldodrama. May they all die horribly along with their degenerated zeitgeist.

Kenneth Brannigan - sharing wisdom since 1985.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 pm

is that cowboy wisdom? ;D

i remember an interview back when pulp was released. qt was saying that almodovar's films are melodramas but that he adds some kind of distance to the genre, so he can make it acceptable to the modern audience. according to him, the only modern director who has the same serious approach than the masters from the 40s and the 50s was John Woo. which is true, when i went to see the killer in theater half the audience was laughing out loud during the serious scenes !

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:59 pm

tonyanthony wrote: which is true, when i went to see the killer in theater half the audience was laughing out loud during the serious scenes !
OMG, I watched The Killer too in a theater, only in my case the WHOLE audience was laughing it's ass off. That's what I find sickening as hell. That BY FUCKING FAR the worst movie-going experience I ever had, because it made me loose hope in young people today. Sure the rotten translation in the subtitles ("Dumbo" and "Mickey Mouse" as the protagonists nicknames, WTF?) added some unwanted humour, but the whole damn thing was a serious DRAMA, for fucks sake! Soon after, I wrote a script about a guy who kills asshole teenagers that raped and killed his girlriend. But I'm still not over my traumatic movie-going experience yet.

True story.

I mean those basterds where laughing in the scene were two main characters were blinded and robbing on the floor, searching for each other. It was heartbreaking, but not as heartbreaking as hearing those assholes laugh at it like they are watching the funniest scene ever.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker