RZA doin' da score for KILL BILL

Everything about Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 music/soundtrack
Jules_Winfield

RZA doin' da score for KILL BILL

Post by Jules_Winfield » Sun May 12, 2002 12:18 am

Who likes the fact that Wu-Tang Clan's RZA might do the score for Kill Bill.
I think it's fucking awesome!
Why? Coz..
a) I am a Wu Tang fanatic and RZA is one of my best members and also one of the most original and unique rap producers out there.

b) it would go good with Kill Bill coz its a martial arts flick and if any1 listened to Wu Tang they'll know that these dudes are all about martial arts. They usually include kung-fu movie samples in there songs and nearly all their names are from old martial arts nicknames (ex: Master Killer is Masta Killa in Wu Tang and so on)

c) I would get a chance to have my favorite director and favorite music at the saamee tttiiiiiimmeee. AMAZING!

WHat do you think?

Jules

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Re: RZA doin' da score for KILL BILL

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue May 21, 2002 9:43 pm

Im not too happy about it. Im not into hip hop anymore, Im hoping QT uses his own music (like in PF. RD and JB) for the film. I dont want the film to a hip hop crazed piece of crap. Plus, The Matrix had techno music in it, so I dont want another copy of that.

All Im gonna say is : It better be fn awesome music, if not Ill be pissed.

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Sat May 25, 2002 1:18 am

So what if Matrix had techno? It has no connection with rap and neither does Matrix with Kill Bill so i dont really understand what ur getting at.
Anyway QT always makes good choices when it comes to music so i believe in him and in whatever choice he makes.

JULES WINFIELD

MrOrange

Post by MrOrange » Thu May 30, 2002 4:42 pm

Tito & Tarantula would have been cool ... just remember the FDTD-Soundtrack.

Greetings,
MrOrange

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu May 30, 2002 5:06 pm

So what if Matrix had techno? It has no connection with rap and neither does Matrix with Kill Bill so i dont really understand what ur getting at.
Anyway QT always makes good choices when it comes to music so i believe in him and in whatever choice he makes.

JULES WINFIELD

Well, First off, the whole rap music/ action stuff has been done already. I didnt say I disliked the the music in the Matrix, in fact the whole techno music fight scenes worked great in that setting. But, in the context of a film thats "30 years of Exploitation films in one" I dont want a hip hop soaked score by RZA. Id much rather see QT use music from his own collection (like in RD, PF and JB) for the score.

Tito and Tarantula's music worked great in FDTD, again because of the setting. Theyre from the Southwest and their music (along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, etc) was excellent background music for the film.

The music in Kill Bill will be just as important as anything else in the film for me. So since Im not a hip hop fan (I still like old school, but the new rap is shi*) Im concerned about this report.

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:20 pm

I dont know how Tito and Tarantula or Les Lobos would be to the soundtrack of a kung-fu flick. Then again rap is the ideal choice either. Besides I believe this is rumour.
I would like maybe a really nice score for this movie maybe from Hans Zimmer or something. It would sound sweeeeeet.

JULES

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:31 pm

Well, the thing is, all of QTs films are 100% his. From the dialogue to the music he picks for the movie. Hes said when hes writing a screenplay, he picks music from his collection to use in it. Why would he use a composer? I highly doubt hes gonna have a person score it. Pulp Fiction, Res Dogs and Jackie B wouldntve been as cool if they didnt have those tunes that QT picked for them. The songs in his films are just as important as the dialogue is. "Little Green Bag", "Miserlou", "Jungle Boogie", "Stuck In the Middle", "Didnt I Blow your Mind", these songs are part of the atmosphere and feeling of the films. Lets just hope QT is picking some rare classics for Kill Bill. Thats what I wanna see. No hip hop, no techno please.

Tito and Tarantula or Los Lobos might be ok for the part of the film that takes place In Austin, TX or Mexico.

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:18 am

Yeah u gotta point there about the Mexican/Texas locations. Los Lobos would be perfect.
Im just taking it as a general thing u know? A kung fu movie with Tarantino-esque songs? I dont know. I believe in this guy and im sure he will make the right choice or choices when it comes to music but until then i wonder...

JULES

bill

Post by bill » Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:04 am

Hi,

I really hope that this doesn't come to pass.  Although I respect Wu Tang Clan and like their music and connection to the Kung Fu movies of the past, I don't think that rap or hip hop is the way to go with the soundtrack for Kill Bill.

Now, you all might think I'm drunk, and maybe I am, but ever since I heard that Tarantino may use Billy Idol's "White Wedding" as the opening song during The Bride's wedding scene, I've thought he should use various songs from the 1980's to score the flick.

He's already put a lot of 70's songs in his other movies, now I think it's time for some killer 80's tunes to be employed.  I can't think of any particular songs off the top of my head he should use, but it just seems right to me for this film.

Who knows?  Whatever music he ends up using, I'm sure it will be perfect.  The man know his music!!!

"Now you tell me, am I lying?"

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:15 pm

Well Ive been thinking about it. QT has said Kill Bill is going to be "30 years of Grindhouse film going in a duck press". Now I could be wrong, but, maybe QT will be using pop music from the past 30 years in the film to go along with the themes and the characters in the film. From the early 70s thru to the 90s. Another thing Ive noticed about QTs films, none of them are time specific. Like Res Dogs, that couldve taken place in the 80s or the 90s or even 2002. Same with Pulp Fiction. Thats another reason why the retro music works so good in them.

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:57 pm

I dont know. Ur right of course but i know that i want some cool kung-fu style songs not just pop songs coz this is very different from Res. Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown.

J.W.

SWizard

Post by SWizard » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:01 am

I actually haven't heard a thing about RZA doing Kill Bill's soundtrack.I think those against RZA doing KB's soundtracks are only going on the fact that he's a hip-hop artist. Check out his albums Bobby Digital or Digital Bullet. He uses live instruments and uses a lot of retro sounds. Also check out the sondtrack to Ghost Dog.

Captain_Koons
Cowardly Lion

Post by Captain_Koons » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:14 am

Haven't heard anything about RZA, but I did find a very interesting tidbit in a brief article on "Kill Bill" in a movie magazine. (Movieline, I think, but not sure.) The blurb said that Tarantino is actually planning on having Ennio Morricone, Leone's main composer, to do the score. There wasn't anything for sure, but just the thought of it raises the stakes. Has anybody heard anything about it at all?

Tony_Rocky_Horror

Post by Tony_Rocky_Horror » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:57 pm

Nope, I haven't heard anything about this so far, but that would be THE BOMB :D  If a week ago, you would've asked me who I'd like to do the Kill Bill score, I would've said Ennio Morricone ! Wow, that would rule ! I bet the Vengeance Theme would rock the casbah if Morricone wrote it ! Yay ! :)

SuperCool_Freddy

Post by SuperCool_Freddy » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:22 am

I Love the RZA. He did a great job with Ghost Dog:The Way of The Samurai.

SpongebobDurden

Post by SpongebobDurden » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:14 am

The RZA has to do it!  He samples old kung fu scores all the time, his score for Ghost Dog is fucking amazing--

Perfect fit.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:33 am

Sorry Sponge but Kill Bill isnt a urban hip hop themed movie. Ghost Dog is something totally different.

Please QT, please get "Il Maestro" Ennio Morricone to do the score for Kill Bill. That would be beyond awesome. Imagine seeing "Score by Ennio Morricone" on the credits? Holy shit! Id be in heaven. Hell, even Lalo Shifrin would be awesome for Kill Bill. :)

NO RZA, NO WU TANG, NO P DIDDY, NO TLC, NO HIP HOP!!!

KILL BILL IS NOT A HIP HOP MOVIE!!

SpongebobDurden

Post by SpongebobDurden » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:26 am

It is really funny that you said Lilo Shirfin.  Because in the script QT says that he needs him to write a piece for it.

PERLsoprock

Post by PERLsoprock » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:42 pm

I think RZA can't do stuff that dosn't sound like hip hop though.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:21 pm

It is really funny that you said Lilo Shirfin.  Because in the script QT says that he needs him to write a piece for it.
Lalo Shifrin should DEFINITELY do the Brides Revenge theme. He would be perfect for that part.  

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:22 am

Initially i wanted the RZA to do it. But now after i know more about Kill Bill and its origins and shit i dont think that anymore.

ENNIO MORRICONE would be perfect i believe.
I dont know who the hell Lalo Shifrin is but ill get some of his music and see what kinda music the man plays.

I still think that Wu Tang should do one track for Kill Bill.
Aaah just the thought of Uma jumping in the air with her sword in slow motion with the voice of Method Man in the background over some great RZA beats makes me druel.

J.W.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:37 am

Heres some info on Morricone and Schifrin for ya:

Ennio Morricone
(1928 -     )
Biography from Baseline’s Encyclopedia of Film

Prolific composer whose hypnotic scores have graced a wide range of international films from the early 1960s to the present. Morricone began composing for the screen in his native Italy and came to prominence for the haunting score that whined and whistled through Sergio Leone's classic spaghetti western, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964)â€â€
Last edited by Toothpick_Vic_Vega on Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyle

Post by Kyle » Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:50 pm

QT will need to have someone score the "Vengeance" theme and 'Remembering Theme"  I have no idea what they are gonna sound like or what QT plans for them  to soundtrack.

One_Little_Fonzy

Post by One_Little_Fonzy » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:03 pm

First of all, you're right, don't know who said it, the new Hip Hop stuff sucks. It's no Hip Hop anymore, it's pop, espacially Ja Rule and Nelly. But you can't compare RZA with these suckers.
I also agree that he did a great job with Ghost Dog, but Kill Bill is really something different. RZA's music is very dark and Kill Bill didn't look very dark on the pictures I've seen yet. But I could be wrong.

Saulo

Post by Saulo » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:30 am

My take on the hip hop scene is that yes most it sucks, right now.
But i also think that no other type of music can bring out the "dont fuck with me" attitude that is in this movie better then hip hop. There is just something in those beats that you can feel. But there could be other music out there i havent heard.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:55 pm

My take on the hip hop scene is that yes most it sucks, right now.
But i also think that no other type of music can bring out the "dont fuck with me" attitude that is in this movie better then hip hop. There is just something in those beats that you can feel. But there could be other music out there i havent heard.
Maybe they should just call this movie "DA BRIDE KICKIN AZZ YO" ;)

I highly doubt QT is going to use straight up hip hop for the Revenge Theme. It might have some beats that are sampled from hip hop, but it will probably be like a slow thumping sound when we first see The Bride's vein in her forehead pulsing, then suddenly a loud fast BANG BOOM BAM! type thing where we just get blasted with it everytime The Bride goes Krakatoa.

When I think of how the Revenge theme will sound, I hear the sound of a chainsaw idling then it opens up and just RIPS!

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:49 pm

:o i have to get something out here....

who said it's gonna be hip hop? RZA is a rapper alright, but after watching ghost dog, reading stuff about that bro' and checking out some of his music videos i came to the conclusion that that bro' ain't a loser. he knows music and i think he and quentin will come up with some cool tunes, know what i'm sayin'?

besides, they got the metallica guy, and probably more guys.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:42 pm

:o i have to get something out here....

who said it's gonna be hip hop? RZA is a rapper alright, but after watching ghost dog, reading stuff about that bro' and checking out some of his music videos i came to the conclusion that that bro' ain't a loser. he knows music and i think he and quentin will come up with some cool tunes, know what i'm sayin'?

besides, they got the metallica guy, and probably more guys.
Seb after reading what you just said, I have to say your definitely right.

Just because RZA is a hip hop artist, DOESNT mean his film scores will be hip hop.

Look at Danny Elfman (Oingo Boingo), Stewart Copeland (The Police) and David Byrne (Talking Heads).  All of them have done movie scores and none of the music was in the style of their band's music. So, your right. We shouldnt think just because RZA's part of hip hop, hes going to limit his movie music to just that genre.

BTW I havent seen Ghost Dog, and I hate MTV so I havent really seen any of RZA's work. I may have seen him in a Wu-Tang video or two but thats it.

dave

Post by dave » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:22 pm

My take on the hip hop scene is that yes most it sucks, right now
then you're looking at the wrong scene.
BTW I havent seen Ghost Dog, and I hate MTV so I havent really seen any of RZA's work. I may have seen him in a Wu-Tang video or two but thats it.
toothpick, if you havent seen/heard any of rza's work then why are you commenting on his ability to do the score? and i doubt you'll see any of rza's/wutangs work on mtv these days.
just because RZA's part of hip hop
>:( you make it sound like hiphop is 'thing' totally removed from music.

like the people have said.. what makes you think the score is going to be hiphop? rza is a muscian and is more than capable of producing a decent score. youre NOT going to hear ja rule or nelly screamin in the background throughout the movie.
Last edited by dave on Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:19 pm

then you're looking at the wrong scene.

toothpick, if you havent seen/heard any of rza's work then why are you commenting on his ability to do the score? and i doubt you'll see any of rza's/wutangs work on mtv these days.

>:( you make it sound like hiphop is 'thing' totally removed from music.

like the people have said.. what makes you think the score is going to be hiphop? rza is a muscian and is more than capable of producing a decent score. youre NOT going to hear ja rule or nelly screamin in the background throughout the movie.
Dave, whats your point? We are having a discussion on what we think about hip hop and if RZA will be using hip hop in the movie. Personally I hate new hip hop, Im an old school fan myself.

Im sure RZA's gonna do something really cool for Kill Bill, QT wouldnt have picked him otherwise. Believe me, Ill be first in line when Kill Bills soundtrack comes out.