Tarantino Cult- or Commercial Director?

Right now, in the commercial world Tarantino is considert to be a cult director.

Yet in the cult world, Tarantino is considert to be one of the more commercial directors of the cult genre. (He loves media attantion and his name is almost a brand)

At 15/16 years it was Tarantino that first drew my attention to cult films. I still think Tarantino films are a great way to introduce people to cult films. And afcourse, because of Tarantino’s commercial approach to the movie bussines he gets to reach a lot of people to see his films.

So Im interested; Wich are you filled with? What do you consider Tarantino to be more? A Cult director? Or a Commercial director?

Well I don’t think he is mainstream (commercial), I think definately a cult director, and I hope it keeps this way

kill bill wasn’t much of a cult movie… IB probably isn’t gonna be either

Tarantino is a very well known director, but he makes cult films. He strays away from the normal Hollywood cliches and makes his movies for a select audience.

[quote=“Johny_Exhale2”]
kill bill wasn’t much of a cult movie… [/quote]

its not old. wait some years, its gonna be. i mean, no cult movie is a cult movie right away. “cult” by definition needs some time to develop a certain “fellowship” ;_)

What is a cult movie? I’ve heard that Pulp Fiction was a cult movie and Fight Club too. I didn’t like Fight Club very much, though.

a cult movie is a movie that’s not meant for a very wide audience, it’s meant for a small group of people that actually understand it and follow it day by day, you cleraly aren’t part of the fight club audience but i am

it’s the direct oppisite of a ‘commercial’ movie wich is meant for everybody to see and understand and like

I don’t think a cult movie is meant for a small audience. In my opinion, a cult movie impacts a group of people in a special way that makes them see it millions of times, quote its characters, share the whole concept behind the story and love everey single bit of it, but I don’t think the amount of ppl who follow it makes it cult or not cult.

In my view, tarantino is a cult director (just see how his movies still make us talk about them, even when some are more than 10 years old) and yet he has loads of fans.

why should tarantino only be one of it ?

cult or commercial ?

could it be possible that he´s both ?

i think we all agree that all tarantino movies are or will be cult, anyway wasn´t kill bill a film which everybody looked ?

if you would go out and ask some people, how much of them would know the film ? i would say about 3/4, or even more

My question was, what do you consider him to be more. But I think I asked my question the wrong way.

What I mean is. How do you see Tarantino? Do you only see him as a strong cult movie maker? Or do you also see him as the tv personality? Not many cult directors appear on shows like american idol.

[quote=“ChosenClone”]
why should tarantino only be one of it ?

cult or commercial ?

could it be possible that he´s both ?

i think we all agree that all tarantino movies are or will be cult, anyway wasn´t kill bill a film which everybody looked ?

if you would go out and ask some people, how much of them would know the film ? i would say about 3/4, or even more
[/quote]

I didn’t know many people my age who had heard of Quentin Tarantino before Kill Bill came out, I was astonished to find this out. But I want it to keep this way. I hate when things I like go mainstream. For example, I like Eminem. I think his songs are great and regard him as a lyrical genius and the best rapper alive. I hate when he releases songs like “My Name is”, “The Real Slim shady”, “Purple Pills (Hills)”, “Without Me” etc, these are solely made for the mainstream market, and I hate when people start talking about Eminem like they know everything about him and know what he’s talking about and stuff when they clearly have no real idea. They only listen to those pop-type songs and have no regard of his other ‘proper’ raps and hip hop music. So regarding QT, people go to watch Kill Bill, talk about his movie which they know nothing about and dont understand and sometimes proceed to criticise him wrongly. So, in a sense QT is a cult director, yet when a lot of people go see one film and it becomes really popular, people call him a commercial director when in fact he isn’t, but due to the film he has created, it has caused a tremendous amount of interest from people who wouldn’t normally go see his films or who haven’t heard of the guy.

I think him constantly stepping in the limelight is something he wants to do and has nothing to do with the type of film maker he is, it has everything to do with the type of person he is. Just because he appears on American Idol and other TV shows doesn’t men ahe is a commercial director because most of the time his appearances have nothing to do with his affiliation to film, he just likes these kinds of things and is into a lot of different things with film making on the top of his list.

[quote] I hate when things I like go mainstream.[/quote]
i know exactly what you mean.

maybe i get something wrong, but i agree 100% with you.

so, lets say, he´s a cult director and not a commerercial, but his name and face is all known ?

The Mainstream knows him as a usual film director or personality in film buisness, maybe only as artist, they watched KB or maybe more, but didn´t get it really ?

can i say that so ?

[quote=“ChosenClone”]
[quote] I hate when things I like go mainstream.[/quote]
i know exactly what you mean.

maybe i get something wrong, but i agree 100% with you.

so, lets say, he´s a cult director and not a commerercial, but his name and face is all known ?

The Mainstream knows him as a usual film director or personality in film buisness, maybe only as artist, they watched KB or maybe more, but didn´t get it really ?

can i say that so ?
[/quote]

Yeh. They think they know stuff about it, but have no idea why QT does what he does or what it means etc.

I think the mainstream movie people don’t really care who the director is.

[quote=“Vince_Vega”]
I think the mainstream movie people don’t really care who the director is.
[/quote]

True dat.

Yeah, right Ify. That’s absolutely true. But those people don’t care much about Tarantino, they just talk abut what they think of for example Kill Bill. Example: I see a movie, I say what I didn’t like, and one fan comes and begins to explain that I don’t understand it, I know nothing about it and so on. But I don’t want to know.

So I don’t care much about people who don’t understand Tarantino and sometimes make stupid comments.

Oh, let’s not think we’re the only ones who understand QT… that sounds a bit arrogant, doesn’t it? Maybe he’d just laugh his pants off if he read our posts, and think "this guys didn’t get any of it"

Let’s just say some ppl don’t have a taste for QT stuff… which is respectable… but also “allow me to retort”, that makes those people uninteresting to me :wink: (at least regardin cinema)

Anyway… let’s not get all big headed and think we Do understand and the others DON’T. Maybe they just have bad taste! hehe…

[quote=“Big Mans Wife”]
Oh, let’s not think we’re the only ones who understand QT… that sounds a bit arrogant, doesn’t it? Maybe he’d just laugh his pants off if he read our posts, and think "this guys didn’t get any of it"

Let’s just say some ppl don’t have a taste for QT stuff… which is respectable… but also “allow me to retort”, that makes those people uninteresting to me :wink: (at least regardin cinema)

Anyway… let’s not get all big headed and think we Do understand and the others DON’T. Maybe they just have bad taste! hehe…
[/quote]

Hey, take it easy, I aint sayin I know everything about his movies, I am trying to say other people start wrongly criticising his movies, when they dont know the logic behind it. Eg, i have heard loads of people say, how can someone fly? that is just stupid and unreal, well Kill Bill isn’t in the real universe, it is in a ‘fantasy land’ if you will and therefore anything can happen, instead of knowing this, they just blurt out comments when in fact they have no knowledge of why she flies and such. Stuff like this just really get’s to me. I also aint saying hat you have to know about the director in order to enjoy or understand a film, quite the contrary. I’m just saying before you something stupid, make sure you justify your answer or make sure you are right.

Pardon me? I hope you’re not talking to me, “Fatale”… coz if you were, that would mean YOU are the piece of shit who doesn’t have anything better to do than get exaggeratedly outraged and show how vulgar you are. I never expected anyone to justify anything…

Oh, and maybe you were talking to Ify… well, that doesn’t make you any better. Your post was disrespectful and out of place. I got some news for you: saying the word “Fuck” a lot without a reason doesn’t make you cool like Quentin, you know?

But you know what? You’re not worth my time… so I won’t say any more.

Here’s a message to the admins: I wish this was an idiot-free place

Idiot-free place? It already is.