Awards for Inglourious Basterds

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Awards for Inglourious Basterds

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 am

With the National Board of Review naming the movie among the top ten of the year, and the Washington D.C. critics giving QT best original screenplay and Christoph Waltz best supporting actor awards, it dawned on me that awards are happening this year for Quentin and Company; and when I scanned the Basterds forum for a topic on it I couldn't find one
so...

Cannes Film Festival - Best Actor - Christoph Waltz

National Board of Review - Ten Best List

Washington D.C. Film Critics - Best Original Screenplay
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz

Bloomy92
Cowardly Lion

Re: Awards for Inglourious Basterds

Post by Bloomy92 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 pm

I think it will be nominated for best picture,screenplay,and tech nods but it unfortunately will only win best supporting actor i think

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 am

Hands down best supporting actor (fingers crossed :) ). Who do you think might have it beat in the screenplay category?

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:11 am

I don't know why, but I have a feeling the Oscars are going to have either UP, Star Trek, the Hangover, or that stupid James Cameron CGI crap a place in the top 10 films. Watch.

I have watched the Oscars the past 2 years (the first year for Marion Cotillard, PTA, and Day-Lewis to win, and last year for what reason, I don't know) so will prob watch this year to see QT and company.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:04 am

I was thinking that Star Trek would clean up this year as well. Like The Dark Knight did last year. It is an amazing film. Too bad for QT... Stiff competition. But if Forest Gump hadn't have come out in 94, Pulp would have cleaned house.

The Academy Awards really doesn't hold much weight with me. They are a giant let-down most of the time. Hollywood can bite it. QT's too good for them.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 am

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:I was thinking that Star Trek would clean up this year as well. Like The Dark Knight did last year. It is an amazing film. Too bad for QT... Stiff competition. But if Forest Gump hadn't have come out in 94, Pulp would have cleaned house.

The Academy Awards really doesn't hold much weight with me. They are a giant let-down most of the time. Hollywood can bite it. QT's too good for them.

I actually don't want Star Trek to win anything is what I am saying. ;D

roulette67
Basterd

Post by roulette67 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:

best supporting actor and (I hope, i hope) original screenplay. He'll get nods in other areas, but like you said, The Academy Awards s a real let down.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

*G* wrote:

Yes sir, I understood that you didn't WANT Star Trek to win anything, but it's going to, and we all know it. ;)

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:
*G* wrote:

Yes sir, I understood that you didn't WANT Star Trek to win anything, but it's going to, and we all know it. ;)
I do know that. ;)

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 am

That'd be almost as traumatic as watching Slumdog Millionaire clean up last year was.

G, really, "stupid James Cameron CGI crap"? This could be the long awaited redemption of James Cameron after Titanic!

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:10 am

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:That'd be almost as traumatic as watching Slumdog Millionaire clean up last year was.

G, really, "stupid James Cameron CGI crap"? This could be the long awaited redemption of James Cameron after Titanic!
Not a huge fan really.

I only like The 2 Terminators and Aliens. Also don't like CGI, and this movie is geeked with CGI. I didn't know you care for it either, since that Wolfman trailer and the CGI in it, I remember you didn't care for it. ;D

I just never got the huge amount of praise for him. I guess because he made Titanic, The Abyss and Terminator. His other "big" films were sequels, so I don't really know.

But hey, everyone loves different things.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm

These are a couple of Simon's tweets this morning:
Simon Pegg wrote:Re: Avatar, the prob with Jar Jar was never the fact that he was animated it was a matter of poor writing, characterization & choreography.

Advances in tech shouldn't be blamed for poor artistic execution. Folk are so quick to dismiss CG. It ain't the brush, it's the painter.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:These are a couple of Simon's tweets this morning:
Simon Pegg wrote:Re: Avatar, the prob with Jar Jar was never the fact that he was animated it was a matter of poor writing, characterization & choreography.

Advances in tech shouldn't be blamed for poor artistic execution. Folk are so quick to dismiss CG. It ain't the brush, it's the painter.

I wouldn't dismiss it if the director who gets credit for the film does the CGI himself, but he doesn't.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Like 23 years ago, my dad told me that they were going to be making movies with computer generated graphics in the foreseeable future. I thought he was talking like Tron or something.

I guess I like CGI if it's done well, and if it's actually needed. I don't like when they CG something that could have been filmed.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 am

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:I was thinking that Star Trek would clean up this year as well. Like The Dark Knight did last year. It is an amazing film. Too bad for QT... Stiff competition. But if Forest Gump hadn't have come out in 94, Pulp would have cleaned house.

Bullshit, Geoi! You're just madly in love with Simon Pegg! Hahaha!

But seriously, we're taking about the same award ceremony where All About Eve won for Best Picture. Star Trek is a good effects movie - and it is nothing more and nothing less.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:01 am

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:That'd be almost as traumatic as watching Slumdog Millionaire clean up last year was.

I hate the fact that a film like Titanic tied All About Eve with 14 Academy Award Nominations, it was the top grossing film in the world, yes - but that doesn't mean the film was that good. James Cameron is a great action director and he's a master in the CGI use to enhance viewing experiences. Look at T2, the film still stands - it looks like it was made recently when I see it here and then. I think Avatar will get some nominations for the CGI stuff and costumes - but Best Picture?

Hell no.

Does anyone remember how good the films of the past actually were?! - Can you hear yourselves saying this? - Star Trek for Best Picture?! - Wake up and smell the semen people! The Academy Awards recognize true directorial and feature film talent.......or they used to.

And "Precious"? Oprah is buying up Hollywood with her Blaxploitation crap. Ugh, that movie is terrible. "Ohhh, look at me I'm fat and black, I cry in the subways cuz they be hatin'!" - No! Fuck you Oprah!

Remember Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, The Hunchback Of Notr Dame (1939), The Best Years Of Our Lives, not that feel sorry for me cuz I'm black, kitchen-drama bullshit!

And Basterds better get a fucking Oscar or else I will burn the fucking Kodiak Theatre down - or whatever they call it these days!

Bette Davis love!

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 am

Oh, and fuck Simon Pegg is AWESOME!

edited by Take a guess, Bucko!

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:07 am

You people have to seriously read my blogs:

http://fan.tcm.com/_Do-You-Remember-Cla ... 66470.html

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Lt. BioBasterd wrote:Oh, and fuck Simon Pegg is AWESOME!

edited by Take a guess, Bucko!

Wow, yeah, Simon Pegg IS awesome, dude! Cheers.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:Wow, yeah, Simon Pegg IS awesome, dude! Cheers.

WHA?!

I must be high on Roach poison! :o

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:09 pm

funny how it's blue aliens versus the bear jew

http://www.themoneytimes.com/featured/2 ... 93918.html

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 am

*G* wrote:
Not a huge fan really.

I only like The 2 Terminators and Aliens. Also don't like CGI, and this movie is geeked with CGI. I didn't know you care for it either, since that Wolfman trailer and the CGI in it, I remember you didn't care for it. ;D
I suppose the way I feel about it is if you can do it for real (the Wolfman costume, or lately the disturbing Hollywood practice of shooting cars against a green screen even for the tamest conversational pieces (Live Free or Die Hard)), by all fucking means do it for real. If you can't do it for real (Avatar) by all fucking means show me giant blue people kicking ass. And fucking.

I suppose there might be an exception or two, but it's about the same way I feel about HD. In the right hands, and as long as it remains a rarity, why not. Oy, how big I dream. No CGI or HD!? That's the fucking future! Where film is no longer used and actors and sets are no longer necessary :'(

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:55 am

But hey, this hear topics for awards! ;D

The Basterds have picked up a slew of nominations at this years Detroit Film Critics something or other! To be honest I've never even heard of this society but whatev! Nominations! Five to be exact including two for Christoph, one for Quentin, One for Melanie, and a best pic nod! How fun ;D
http://detroitfilmcritics.com/Home_Page.html

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:11 pm

What are people's thoughts on the movie "The Single Man" that is coming out? Looks interesting and a sure bet for award noms.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:43 pm

*G* wrote:What are people's thoughts on the movie "The Single Man" that is coming out? Looks interesting and a sure bet for award noms.
Looks very "awardsy", and by the look of things at the critics associations will probably get some nom love.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:46 pm

The Los Angeles Film Critics Association announced their winners for the year, and Inglourious Basterds walked away with the expected Best Supporting Actor win but nothing else.

LAFCA, Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz

complete listing here:
http://www.lafca.net/news.html
Last edited by Ordell Rodriguez on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Just to make something clear I'm no awards guy. Unless I got a movie I'm really rooting for (There Will Be Blood, Inglourious Basterds etc...) I really don't invest too much time reading predictions and all the other shit that goes along with it. But seeing as this year Quentin appears to have a shot (albeit a slim one at this point) I thought I'd keep track. Moving on!

The New York Film Critics Online (another group I had only a passing knowledge of) named their best of 2009 and Inglourious Basterds makes a few weighty appearances! Although it lost the big two prizes to Avatar (pic) and The Hurt Locker (dir., will this be our first female best director?), it did manage to pick up the expected Waltz award (this years Anton Chigur) as well as a best screenplay win for QT.

NYFCO
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
Best Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino
Breakthrough Performance - Christoph Waltz
Best Cinematography - Robert Richardson

complete winners list here:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61600

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:48 am

Is "Two Lovers" considered 2009 in Oscar standards? Didn't come out in the U.S. until then, but was released in other countries in 2008

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 am

*G* wrote:Is "Two Lovers" considered 2009 in Oscar standards? Didn't come out in the U.S. until then, but was released in other countries in 2008
I was always under the impression that it had to be released in the year in the USA to be nominated. Although I don't know if when it was made comes into account, Army Of Shadows wasn't released in the US till recently but I doubt it could get a nom for best foreign film.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:15 am

Boston Society of Film Critics named their best of the year, and the Basterds were almost completely absent from the list. Waltz picked up another award though. No matter how anyone else does come oscar time, Inglourious Basterds will soon officially be referred to as academy award winning Inglourious Basterds.

BSFC, Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz (again!)

Oh yeah, complete list of winners:
http://www.joycekulhawik.com/2009/12/bo ... wards.html