The movie references thread for Pulp

Containing everything about Tarantino's breakthrough masterpiece, this is the cult section for all pulp fans!
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

The movie references thread for Pulp

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:07 pm

If someone starts pasting stuff from the imdb.com again, I'm gonna get medieval on his ass.

let's work out references by telling them, what scene they're out and so on.

I'll start: The entire Jack Rabbit Slims scenes are a gold pile for references. All the movie posters on the walls, the waiters and so on.

Examples:
- Attack of the 5 foot woman
- Frankenstein

Also, at Butch's apartment:
- The motorcycle movie

brutality_dog

Re: The movie references thread for Pulp

Post by brutality_dog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:22 pm

well, of course there's the reference to the TV show "kung fu"...

mr.pink286

Post by mr.pink286 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:05 am

The poster from Frankenstein is not on the wall of Jack Rabbit Slim's

The  posters on the walls are the posters from these films: Dragstrip Girl, Rock All Night, Motorcylce Gang, Daddy-O, Sorority Girl, Machine-Gun Kelly, Roadracers, and Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.  The poster from The Young Racers that is hanging over the slot car track at Jack Rabbit Slim's restaurant.  

The waiters are
Buddy Holly
Marilyn Monroe in her ''Seven Year Itch'' Dress
Zorro
James Dean in his ''Rebel Without A Cause'' garb
Mamie van Doren

The dance scene between Vincnet &  Mia was a reference to Godard's Bande à part.
Last edited by mr.pink286 on Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Shepherd
Real McCoy

Post by The Shepherd » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:21 pm

when vincent is driving in his malibu after shooting up on heroine at lance's and the background looks really fake, it is another Godard and French New Wave reference (also when butch is in the cab)

Cherry_Licker

Post by Cherry_Licker » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:36 am

when vincent is driving in his malibu after shooting up on heroine at lance's and the background looks really fake, it is another Godard and French New Wave reference (also when butch is in the cab)
i don't know if that was a direct reference to that, movies all the time do that (especially really old ones up through the 70s) So I wouldn't consider that a direct reference to French New Wave...considering even James Bond movies use this technique a lot.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:40 am

Someone said a long time ago on this board that the Mia overdose scene closely resembles the Pacino one from "The Panic in Needle Park".

Cherry_Licker

Post by Cherry_Licker » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:41 am

The suits worn by Jules and Vincent are similar to what is worn in quite a few Asian Action films, Tarantino himself has talked about "A Better Tommorow II" as being the main inspiration behind the black and white. Also quite a few surf bands from the late 1960s would perform in black suits and thin black ties...and Pulp does have Surf Music.

The sodomy scene in the Pawn Shop along with the hillbilly esque characters are obviously inspired by Deliverence.

The way Butch searches for a weapon in the pawn shop reminded me of a scene in "Last House on the Left" in which the father character (out for revenge) looks through his garage for a weaon suitable to kill the convicts.

butch, with a sword drawn on Zed saysm "You want that gun Zed? Go on, pick it up. I want you to- There ya go!" is similar to a line in Rio Bravo in which John Wayne and Dude go into a saloon searching for a shooter, they have all the patrons remove their guns, one guy tries reaching for his gun and John says to him, "you want that gun? Pick it up, I wish you would"

A reference to Ragin Bull is how Butch waits inside the Pawn Shop with a beer bottle, then SMASHES it on Marcellus upon entering. In Raging Bull Joe Pesci does this outside a restuarant.

Lance selling the heroin to Vincent reminded me of theguy in Taxi Driver selling Travis the guns.

A street fight busts out in Foxy Brown and a shot is used similar to that of Butch punching Marcellus.
Last edited by Cherry_Licker on Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.pink286

Ezekiel Speech/Sonny Chiba

Post by mr.pink286 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:00 am

I know the Ezekiel speech by Jules came from a Sonny Chiba film  but which one did it come from?

Cherry_Licker

Post by Cherry_Licker » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:33 am

The Bodyguard

mr.pink286

Some other references

Post by mr.pink286 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:50 am

Lance has a ''Speed Racer'' shirt on.

The scene where Butch is driving pulls up and sees Marsellus is like the scene in Psycho where Janet Leigh's sees her boss.
while she pulls up to him.

The Wolf's remark to Vincent and Jules that a cab ride is in their future is a reference to The Dead Zone.  

Jules talks about The Guns of Navarone and Superfly T.N.T. while he and Vincent are cleaning the car.

The show Young Butch is watching is ''Clutch Cargo''

The Three Stooges Short Lance is watching is
''Brideless Groom''.  

When Butch is looking for weapon in the pawnshop he picks a bat which is a reference to Walking Tall and then he picks a chainsaw which is a refrence to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then he picks up a Kantana a possible reference to Hattori Hanzô: Kage no Gundan    
Last edited by mr.pink286 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:12 pm

The dance competition is clearly influenced by Jean Luc Godard's 1964 film 'Bande A Parte' which Tarantino has named his production company after.

The unknown contents of the briefcase are a homage to Robert Aldrich's film 'Kiss Me Deadly', made in 1955.

The pawn shop rape is clearly reminiscent of 'Deliverance', made in 1972 by John Boorman.

'The Bonnie Situation' contains Jules and his friend Jimmy, clearly a reference to Francois Truffaut's film, 'Jules et Jim'.

The character of Wolf in this story is taken from Jean Reno's portrayal of a 'cleaner' in Luc Besson's 'La Femme Nikita', a role reprised by Keitel himself in the American remake 'Point of No Return'.

MiaWallace

Post by MiaWallace » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:48 pm

It's strange, in france we call 'La Femme Nikita' just 'Nikita'. I wonder why they changed the name of the movie out of france. But it doesn't matter anyway lol  :)

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:51 pm

This may sound a bit odd. But the scene where Marcellus accidentally shoots the woman, was a partial influence from Takeshi Kitano's Violent Cop. Where Kitano kicks the gun outta the guys hand and then........

See it for yourself.   ;)

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:00 pm

-The movie on the TV in Butch and Fabienne's hotel room is Jack Starrett's (one of Quentin's favorite directors) "The Losers" starring William Smith and Adam Roarke. Its a Vietnam biker film.

- One of the kinds of heroin that Lance has is called "Bava". Its a homage to one of QT's favorite filmmakers Mario Bava, an Italian horror director who's own film, Black Sabbath was inspiration for the 3 story plot of Pulp Fiction.

- Jimmys' unseen nurse wife Bonnie is inspired by Pam Griers character in the blaxploitation film Coffy (1973).

- When Captain Koons visits the young Butch to give him his father's watch, his recollections refer to an airman named "Wynocki" who transports the watch back to safety. "Wynocki" is the name of John Garfield's character in Howard Hawks' film Air Force (1943). Hawks is one of Tarantino's favorite directors.

- After Butch kills Maynard, Marsellus Wallace says that he's going to call some friends "to go to work on [Zed] with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch." In Don Siegel's film Charley Varrick (1973), a character named Maynard warns a bank manager that some mobsters "will go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch".

-Wilson is the name of the fighter to whom Butch is instructed to lose.Wilson was also the name of the fighter against whom Terry Malloy took a dive in On the Waterfront (1954).

- The book that Vincent reads is "Modesty Blaise" by Peter 'ODonnell . In that book, a killer indulges in a Biblical rant very similar to that of Samuel L. Jackson's character.

- Mia calls Vincent "cowboy" - John Travolta starred in Urban Cowboy (1980). Vincent calls Mia "cowgirl" in return; Uma Thurman starred in Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1993).

- Mia asks Vincent "Can you dig it? I knew that you could" - a dialogue reference to Saturday Night Fever (1977).

- The many extended tracking shots in Pulp are obviously inspired by Brian DePalma whos known for his tracking shots.

Mr._Blonde

Post by Mr._Blonde » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:28 am

can i have one of those cowboy ( john travolta urban cobway)
you can have this one cowgirl ( uma thruman cowgirls dont cry)
Last edited by Mr._Blonde on Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 pm

I was watching the movie the bravados and when that guy comes out of the bathroom and sees his friend being shot reminded me of the end of PF when vicent comes out.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:41 am

I was watching DRESSED TO KILL and nacy allen's character said, " Im going to powder my nose, and when I come back your cloths better be on the floor " Mia also talked about powdering her nose

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:45 pm

i  didn't know this stuff. this is freakin awesome.

Tarantular
Cowardly Lion

Post by Tarantular » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:48 pm

vincent tells lance he'll be a "grease spot" ... i think it is a reference to grease ... furthermore i think the character of vincent is like what would have happened to to john's character in grease if he had taken the wrong path
Pulp Fiction is slightly better but reservoir dogs came first

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Wed May 31, 2006 6:52 pm

I was watching De Palma's The Fury the other night, known to be one of Quentins Tarantinos favorite directors. Anyway when peter sticks the gun at the guys armpit he says Im scared were gonna run over a bump. Or he says something like that, anyway kind of like in PF.

Hans

Post by Hans » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:08 pm

Scarface wrote: 'The Bonnie Situation' contains Jules and his friend Jimmy, clearly a reference to Francois Truffaut's film, 'Jules et Jim'.
Do you really think QT specifically named his characters Jules and Jimmy just so he could put a Truffaut reference in the film? That sounds a little far-fetched to me.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Hans wrote: Do you really think QT specifically named his characters Jules and Jimmy just so he could put a Truffaut reference in the film? That sounds a little far-fetched to me.
Could be, could be not. Nobody knows for sure. I admit the words "clearly a reference" are misleading in the sentence you quoted. But then again I wrote that 2 and a half years ago.  ;)

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Seeing the mood of pulp and more connections to french cinema in it, I wouldnt be surpriced if that was the exact case...
I mean the man IS cinema...of course he makes these kind of connections...
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:21 am

I think if you were just going to name one small character after a film it wouldn't be too out there, but naming a lead character and another pretty big character certain names just to reference a film doesn't sound very feasible if you ask me. But who knows, anything's possible.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:39 pm

Hans wrote: I think if you were just going to name one small character after a film it wouldn't be too out there, but naming a lead character and another pretty big character certain names just to reference a film doesn't sound very feasible if you ask me. But who knows, anything's possible.
Its Truffauts most popular movie...and I think QT LOVES it, so well, of course nobody knows for sure, but I think its not that out of the ordinary if he named his main characters for pulp after this movie...especially seeing the style of pulp and all. LOTS of french influence...
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Deadly Viper

Post by Deadly Viper » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree with Seth

Hans

Post by Hans » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:33 am

I don't know; I think people just jump the gun sometimes when saying which film was referenced and what scene is an homage and so forth. The Truffaut film was Jules and Jim anyway; it wasn't called Jules and Jimmy. If QT was so intent on making it a reference, I think he would have just named the character Jim instead (or at least had everyone call him that).

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Oh I agree with Scarface and Seth, it must be a reference to Jules et Jim. It would have been too obvious if the guy called Jim, so Jimmy is the nickname of Jim  ;)

Deadly Viper

Post by Deadly Viper » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:17 pm

I agree with cyber-lili

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Deadly Viper wrote: I agree with cyber-lili
;D So you agree with Scarface and Tim... Ahah, then Hans you have to understand it can be a reference, even we will never know if QT thought of it or not  ;)