Tarantino Absent From Sukiyaki Western Django Featurette

I just watched Sukiyaki Western Django–Miike offers us an amazing retelling of characters somewhat created by and offering appropriate nods to one of the greats of the Italian Westerns: Sergio Corbucci.

Loved the film–genuis…more later–but what I really want to know is…

As I finished the Featurette–Q is mentioned but there is nothing showing him on the set, during the shoot, commentary afterword…What is up with that?

And QT did very well–but I always enjoy what he offers to the story. I pray that he is still doing these roles when he actually is a very, very–very old man. Q always offers a true dimension.

[quote=“Is It My Scar”]
As I finished the Featurette–Q is mentioned but there is nothing showing him on the set, during the shoot, commentary afterword…What is up with that?
[/quote]

if his cameo is really small he might’ve been on the set for only a day or two, when the documentary crew wasn’t there… happens all the time :wink:

He’s on the R2J interviews, talking about Macaroni Eastern Zatoichi.

His cameo wasn’t that small, imo

DVD Times is listing Q&A with Quentin Tarantino for the UK dvd.

Apparently the film will be presented in the same cut version as the US dvd.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
if his cameo is really small he might’ve been on the set for only a day or two, when the documentary crew wasn’t there… happens all the time :wink:
[/quote]

Actually, the documentary crew was present during the scene (They showed footage of preparations being made on the soundstage before shooting was to begin. Even the narrator mentioned that this was where Tarantino was supposed to appear) but for some reason, everything with QT was edited out! Time constraints for the featurette could have been reasonable, but I find it odd that they couldn’t have even acknowledged that QT was even there!

Exactly, Laydback!

Plus QT played an older version of himself in the wheel chair. Plenty of opportunities to get a word or two…or even time to just film the geriatric makeup being applied. It’s just very odd that he’s not included. I think that QT might of been able to throw a sentence or two together.

This QT behind the scenes absence is all that is downer for the DVD–The film kicks ass on all levels (revenge, photography, acting, blood, humor, action, dialogue, eccentric characters). SEE SWD NOW. How can you miss with Miike?–and of course if you need some background on the Corbucci films rent/buy Corbucci’s Django (for some characters) and The Great Silence (my favorite of Corbucci’s films).