How Quentin Tarantino portrays women

Hello I am in my second year of A-levels and I am currently doing a topic on women in film. I have chosen to concentrate on the specific question, How does Quentin Tarrintino portray women in his films .I would appreciate any comments and feedback.

Regards Francesca

People in QT movies are like only “moviepeople”. They serve a role that is entertaining and has a purpose in the movie.

Male and female are the same. Qt’s movies are about entertainment, not about portraying real life or anything. Just portraying a movieworld.

So he doesnt portray women in his movies, because his movies arent about reality.

kinda like seth said, you could argue that the women in his films appeal to the archetypes of female characters in the history of cinema e.g. mia wallace as the femme fatale, jackie brown as the strong female of blaxploitation flicks. the brides more interesting though as she takes on a kind of masculine role in vol 2 as she is made an icon with the kind of long takes (e.g. when shes walking over to bud’s trailer) that were previously used for males in westerns.

actually theyre all kinda twisted up like the bride in a way, as most of the aura of mia being a femme fatale comes from the bullshit rumours surrounding her (i.e. the guy getting thrown out of the window for her) so tarantino plays with these archetypes in an ironic way… very postmodern innit, read linda hutcheon for the idea of revisiting the past ironically

Seth ok i shall re word my question ,i am nt deluded and i am well aware films serve the purpose to entertain ,and are not real life ,bt i am tryin to understand how Quentin tarrantinos characters challenge sterotypes ,and how the women in his films are shown e.g femme fatale, or love interest or victim and how this has evolved overtime and throught different films thankyou x

Its Simple… He felt so guilty that his first movie didnt have any women so for his next 3 movies he made the main character a woman! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

This is for my coursework folks…

He likes kick ass, no bullshit chicks with nice feet.

Quentins movies may not be based on reality, and that goes for almost all movies made. That does not mean he doesn´t portray women. He has female characters in his movies, and everyone of them has a personality.

Now, the question was; how does he portray them? Well, I think his women are basically strong, and self sufficient people. Yes, they are vulnerable at times, but they can take care of themselves and they are strong. In my opinion, they seem to have more depth than the male characters. The men are cool badasses with sharp tongues. The only male character that is allowed to be a bit vulnerable imo, is Budd. So does this mean the women are sterotypes or the men? Well, I wouldn´t call the women that stereotypical just because they are allowed to be vulnerable. They just have more sides to their personalities. While the men in his movies can be disrepectful to women, by how they talk sometimes (like objectifying them) it does not mean Quenting portrays them as objects. Overall I would like to say that he empowers women in general.

thankyou luxie that is really really helpful x keep em coming folks

[quote=“Francesca123”]
Seth ok i shall re word my question ,i am nt deluded and i am well aware films serve the purpose to entertain ,and are not real life ,bt i am tryin to understand how Quentin tarrantinos characters challenge sterotypes ,and how the women in his films are shown e.g femme fatale, or love interest or victim and how this has evolved overtime and throught different films thankyou x
[/quote]

In other movies you could compare the actors and real life. Qt on the other hand DOES NOT portray women. He portrays movie characters. Looking for any meaning connecting to real life in a QT movie is pointless. It’s ALL for entertainment value within a movie universe. Unlike other directors or movies…thats the exact thing that seperates QT from most others.

A woman in real life -> You have an abstract form of what a woman is -> woman in movies based on “real life” woman-> QT’s women in movies based on the former.

Its 2 steps away from reality and has nothing to do with it. So saying anything about it is pointless. I suggest another topic for your essay…or just bla bla about something that isn’t really so. I don’t think a teacher would know it anyway…

The effect of doing this however could be interpretated as that he uses men and women in the same way. So they are equal in a sense, but it’s not really the purpose to say anything with that fact.

^^^ Thats why I love Quentin!

Just one question: how does he NOT portray women? Granted he doesn´t portray real life women, but they are still women, although fictional. So, are they robots, or what? The question was, how are the women in his movies, not if they are based on reality or not.

The anwser is: he doesnt portray women, he portrays fictional women from other movies…just like he does with men… :wink:

Yeah, fictional, but still women. :wink:

Yeah, but its like portraying aliens…they dont excist. It doesnt say anything…just in a movie kinda way…

Thats just the basics…after that you can talk about how he portrays them, sure! :slight_smile:

Well, they don´t exist, that is true. But how are they? What is his view on them? You get what I mean?

Yeah! Of course! :slight_smile:

I think its pretty revolutionary…its pretty stereotype, but he does that with both men and women…so it makes it alright or even better…in an unconventional kinda way.

Both male and female are equal and can be kick ass superhero’s within his movieworld 8)

Uma (the bride) might as well be a man in Kill Bill, which says a lot about how he values males and females equal…

The gender doesnt seem to matter in his world…only for artistic or entertainment value.

Ok, so now we are on the same page I think, haha.

Well yeah…

Its just that newbie people just go like: QT says this and that about women…which AINT true…

So I just provided the background, while you skipped to business :wink:

I like to get to the point, yes :wink: