My Best Friend's Birthday

All other Tarantino films, his cameos, TV cameos, general discussions about music and DVD - check out the child boards!
Tarantino32
Cowardly Lion

Re: My Best Friend's Birthday

Post by Tarantino32 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 am

Robert Gordon - Rockabilly Boogie
Clarence's answering machine (27:50)

ThaDuke

Post by ThaDuke » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:51 pm

Wow, so that only leaves one more, huh?: Misty waiting for Micky in the living room (21:09).

badmutha77
Kiddo

Post by badmutha77 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 am

Actually, it's ELVIS: "Are you lonesome tonight?" playing when Mickey walks in his apartment.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:39 am

Some parts of this movie really made me laugh! Like the part when Clarence snorts the coke "Call 911!"
The dialogue scene near the end of the movie is phenomenal - when Clarence and the call girl are chatting it up after fucking. "Brian DePalma - he is one mean...scooter".

I already burned it the movie to a DVD, just need to make my own DVD cover!

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Post by Bad Max » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:42 am

I have a dvd cover, I would sent it to ya put the external harddrive or whatever it's called doesn't work so I can't send it.
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:01 am

Damn you to hell!

But I forgive you, just don't let that happen again!

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:00 am

Instead of watching the crappier version on youtube you can watch it here without interruptions, the original QT version.

http://www.freemoviescinema.com/content/view/2069/83/

redragon
Cowardly Lion

Post by redragon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 pm

I would love some DVD cover art if anyone has one.

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:36 am

I'd totally buy My Best Friend's Birthday as it is on DVD. I just wish they'd put it on DVD. I'm sure every Tarantino fan will be eager to have his early work on a DVD. It would be like those DVDs that have "The short films of David Lynch" or whatever.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:59 pm

I bought it on -I don't know on which site now- dvd, it's a copy of course, no official release, but with a menu, and with a cover. I'm not sure it'd look great if I scan the cover cause it's printed and not like commercial dvds. I'll try to scan it when I got time.

redragon
Cowardly Lion

Post by redragon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 pm

I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

HoneyBunny0357
Cowardly Lion

Post by HoneyBunny0357 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=2

google video has it and you can download it for free. all 36 minutes of it..

Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Post by Eastern Beauty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:41 pm

HoneyBunny0357 wrote: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=2

google video has it and you can download it for free. all 36 minutes of it..
Cool 8)
Anybody here remember me? Anyone?!

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 am

Lucio Fulci wrote: .... the original QT version.
there is no other one I'm aware of ;-)

and why would anyone release this on an official DVD? it's half an hour of crappy footage of a film that was never finished. this might be a nice extra in a documentary about QT's career at some point, you know like they included all the Game of Death footage in that Bruce Lee a warrior's journey documentary, but aside from that... meh

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Sebastian wrote: there is no other one I'm aware of ;-)
Some fucker on youtube made his own version of it. He added music and edited some of the footage....not realediting but......you know.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Sat May 10, 2008 10:49 pm

i found a guy on ebay who sells dvd copies of it for $9.99, if anyone wants to pick it up.
Last edited by Jjp on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun May 11, 2008 12:55 am

I found that same guy on the web.  If you get it, let me know if it's any better quality than what I watch online.  I really wish the money would go to Quentin for it though.  Ya know?
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Tarantino32
Cowardly Lion

Post by Tarantino32 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 am

badmutha77 wrote: Actually, it's ELVIS: "Are you lonesome tonight?" playing when Mickey walks in his apartment.

I don't listening this music. What the time when it plays?

Thanks

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:24 am

Geoi wrote: I found that same guy on the web.  If you get it, let me know if it's any better quality than what I watch online.  I really wish the money would go to Quentin for it though.  Ya know?
why would it be better quality? i say fuck that bloodsucker for making money off something you can download. not a penny goes towards those who made it....

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Sebastian wrote: why would it be better quality? i say fuck that bloodsucker for making money off something you can download. not a penny goes towards those who made it....
I usually dont download shit but im gonna see if its available on lime wire now.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 pm

I was watching the Partridge Family at hulu earlier, and I didn't know what episode number it was before, but I watched the episode where Danny gets in trouble with the mob guys...  That's the episode Clarence sited as his reason for not going ahead with killing himself when he was three.  Just thought it was cool that I found it online for free.  I'd actually forgotten how much fun this show is.  If anyone wants to watch, it's here.... http://www.hulu.com/watch/6835/partridg ... s-p4-so-i0

Don't make fun of me for being old.  Such great memories get sparked while watching this show.
Last edited by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 pm

I don't know if someone post this already, but this is a great review of My bestfriend birthday. It's from Steven Puchalski's Shock Cinema, my favorite zine ever:

MY BEST FRIEND'S BIRTHDAY (1986).
www.shockcinemamagazine.com/mybest.html
The trailers for KILL BILL proudly proclaim that it's Quentin Tarantino's fourth film. Technically, that's correct, because nobody would consider his first, uncompleted 16mm project (made when he was still clerking at Video Archives) to be a finished work. This b&w screwball comedy was written by Tarantino and acting-class comrade Craig Hamann, photographed by Roger Avery, and funded by his video store pals. But after numerous technical problems, Quentin scrapped the project and moved onto bigger and better things. After all these years, 37 minutes of this legendary film have finally surfaced. At first glance, it's just a bunch of jumbled scenes, as crude as any Richard Kern flick, with comedy that rivals MEATBALLS PART II. But when it was over, I was hooked. I wanted to see more of these eccentric characters, as they dealt with love, loss, potential violence, and their unending obsession with the movies. Most of the footage is from early portions of the film, beginning with a shockingly-young Quentin (sporting Stray Cats hand-me-downs) as motor-mouthed radio-d.j. Clarence Pool, who recalls how -- at the tender age of 3 -- he was saved from suicide by The Partridge Family. But when Clarence snorts a Baggie full of coke during a commercial break, he has an on-air meltdown. In another subplot, Mickey (Craig Hamann, who directed the 1997 Mark Dacascos thriller BOOGIE BOY) discovers his ex-girlfriend in his apartment and is thrilled -- until he learns that she's just there to collect her shit and has a new Yuppie boyfriend. Meanwhile, it's poor rejected Mickey's birthday and Clarence, his best friend, needs a suitable present. How about hiring a novice call-girl named Misty (Crystal Shaw, who went onto write and star in the 1998 short film HAVE A PERIWINKLE DAY)? These scenes might be raw and disconnected, but they also display the same snappy dialogue and oddball characters that energize Tarantino's current work. In fact, this often seems like the Rosetta Stone of his future career. All of the influences and answers are here, crammed together into one big hodgepodge. There are obscure film-references galore, Aldo Ray jokes, discussions about the genius of DePalma, and Quentin gives himself a romantic scene with Misty, whose career choice was inspired by Nancy Allen's whore in DRESSED TO KILL! Allen Garfield (who was Tarantino's acting teacher at his Beverly Hills' Acting Shelter) turns up as a bakery owner, when Clarence buys a cake for Mickey and argues about Elvis Presley's limited acting abilities. Plus, a background one-sheet collection includes cool, cult-movie faves like THE FURY, SISTERS, BLACK OAK CONSPIRACY, THE NINTH CONFIGURATION, and (of course) a Sonny Chiba flick. He even squeezes in a lame martial arts showdown between Mickey and Misty's black pimp, Clifford, and includes background tunes like "Ballroom Blitz" (long before Quentin could actually afford to buy the rights).
© 2003 by Steven Puchalski.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:33 am

Hey anybody, i've only seen bits and pieces of the flick where i could find it but is there anywhere I can get the whole thing (or what's left of it) uncut and maybe burn it onto a disc or something?
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:08 pm

It's on youtube, and another site... scroll back in this thread to find the link.  That is apparently all there is to it.  The third reel was supposedly lost or destroyed or something.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Geoi wrote: It's on youtube, and another site... scroll back in this thread to find the link.  That is apparently all there is to it.  The third reel was supposedly lost or destroyed or something.
Thanks.

Apparently it was in a film lab fire is what I've read on it.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:54 pm

yeah not only was it never completely filmed, but of the footage that existed, only 40min or so survived...  and that's all you can get on the net, too

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:34 am

Sebastian wrote: yeah not only was it never completely filmed, but of the footage that existed, only 40min or so survived...  and that's all you can get on the net, too
What I've read is that when he finally had some dough to process the footage it wasn't so great then the fire destroyed what most of it there was.

Just read your gonna be hospitalized (be wary of blonde one-eyed beauties whistling up and down the halls) hope all goes well and you get your ass back soon.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 am

i understood the fire destroyed 2 or 3 reels.. and also that the 40 minutes we have are from the first year of shooting.. the rest of the footage has never been edited

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm

That's shocking, because what we do have, is a pretty good little short film.  I wish we had the actual script.

My favourite part is Quentin's voice as "Eddie" on the answering machine.  LMAO ;D

Dimmick89
Cowardly Lion

Post by Dimmick89 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:52 am

I read a review where the guy said My Best Friend's Birthday stole stuff from other movies (he still loved the short though) and I was wondering, what exactly did he steal? I've seen the short numerous times and can't recall anything stolen from other films. Any ideas?