Sin City - QT related stuff here only

All other Tarantino films, his cameos, TV cameos, general discussions about music and DVD - check out the child boards!
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Re: Sin City - QT related stuff here only

Post by cyber-lili » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:11 pm

I was noticing this fact : in the old trailer, there was no mention to QT special guest shooting. It was great because he was fan of him, you know it, and it's just great to be a little number of people who knows it (not because we aren't very much to be of QT, on contrary, but because, compare to all the people who will see the movie, if the trailer didn't notice this fact, I doubt that a lot of people didn't know it !)

Allright, anywhay, I'm downloading it to say what I think about it compare to the old trailer and the teaser...

SteveZissou

Post by SteveZissou » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:26 am

LOL. Did you all catch that nose peice Benicio had on?! "You're making a big mistake man, A BIG mistake."

mitsuman

Post by mitsuman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:00 am

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but I did not see it.  In the Entertainment Weekly Spring movie preview they did a piece on Sin City.  Rodreguiz talks about tarantino shooting the scene.  The scene he talked about was with Del Torro and Clive Owen in a car, so it is going to be the scene with Dwight and Jackie Boy in the Car.  That could be really interesting :). Rodreguiz said that Quentin was hesitent with the digital stuff at first, he wanted to use a real car.  After some shots he said fuck it though.  He just had them sit on crates b/c he couldn't get the angles he wanted.  So thats all I know.  Can't wait to see it!

GATSU

Post by GATSU » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:02 am

There's a featurette with Quentin here.

GODFATHER

Post by GODFATHER » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:24 am

GATSU wrote: There's a featurette with Quentin here.
ya was gonna post it, added it to my site..u went ahead :)

Jules_Winfield

Post by Jules_Winfield » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:15 am

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS FUCKING MOVIE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JW

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:36 pm

Rodriguez spits it out:

http://www.tarantino.info/index.php?opt ... 7&Itemid=2

awesome. read that

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:13 pm

"Bringing The Graphic Novel To Life"

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/sincity.html

Has short Interviews with QT, RR & Frank as well as the cast.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:32 pm

isnt that the same featurette as posted 3 posts above?

savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Post by savage_henry » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:59 pm

how much do you think quentin directed? because they intended it to be a whole short story but ended up with the longer versions for the second dvd, so that means quentin's scene will be mixed with robert's stuff in one of the longer stories?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:11 pm

savage_henry wrote: how much do you think quentin directed? because they intended it to be a whole short story but ended up with the longer versions for the second dvd, so that means quentin's scene will be mixed with robert's stuff in one of the longer stories?
read the interview and watch the featurette, then you have the answers

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:05 pm

Seb Himself (admin) wrote: isnt that the same featurette as posted 3 posts above?
Oops yeh sorry, I don't remember clicking on that link.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Post by savage_henry » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:06 pm

Seb Himself (admin) wrote: read the interview and watch the featurette, then you have the answers
yeah i did, but im still confused coz they say one scene but then in another they say a short story, so is the whole short story a one scene shot, or what?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:10 pm

Robert can you tell us which part Quentin Tarantino directed and how that went?

Rodriguez: He was great. Originally, I had thought there would be more shorter stories in the movie as well when I first told him about it and then it ended up being the longer ones. So, I told him “Well, you can direct one of the sequences,� because Frank (Miller) originally issued them in small issues. That’s why you always see these characters die every ten minutes because he always wanted you to come back to the next comic book. So, each book was made up of several smaller issues. I had to basically do an issue which was where Benicio and Clive were in the car together and Benicio’s got the gun barrel and he’s talking. It was Quentin’s idea to have him speak in an outer voice, where it was voice over, to actually speak it out.

He did something kind of like that in Reservoir Dogs and Clive didn’t know until the day. Quentin was like, “Wait a minute. All this monologue that you were going to do with voice over later, you should do it on the set. Can you learn it real quick?� Clive really impressed the hell out of Quentin. That’s all he ever talks about is the fact that Clive went away for five minutes and did the whole monologue right there off the cuff. Especially since he’s trying to do an American accent so he had to figure that out as well right there on the day. Quentin came in so prepared. Frank and I had been shooting already. This was our last episode. He was afraid he’d be unprepared so he over prepared and made Frank and I look like bums. He came in with every shot written up, all this visionary stuff – “Oh, it’ll stay black and white and we’re going to use colored flashing lights on them.

He’ll speak in an outer voice and the camera will come down…� and I’m like, “Wow, you really worked this out.� He said, “I was so afraid I’d be unprepared that I over prepared.� We just blasted through it. He had a blast doing it. The first shot I said, “We’ve got a car there that you can put the actors in but truthfully, we haven’t been using the cars. We can’t quite get the angles. We’ve just been sitting them on a green apple box with a steering wheel.� He was “Oh, no. Put ‘em in a car. I want to see ‘em in there.� Quentin’s very real for real – “I want to see them in there squeezed together and confined.�

After one shot he’s like, “Okay. Get rid of the car.� The rain, the car, the road, nothing was there. He got to just concentrate on getting performances. That’s the beauty of a green screen for us. All that other stuff that used to take up time for rigging, then hurry, hurry and get the performance. All of that was gone. You were just getting performance. That’s why the performance was so great. That’s all they were concentrating on was eye-to-eye, working with each other.

Murphy: Then Quentin stayed.

Rodriguez: He stayed. He loved Brittany and said, “We can have a little Brittany Murphy film festival after this." He was like, “Brittany is terrific. I’m going to try to weasel my way into tomorrow’s work.�

Murphy: My first day I had three directors: Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino. That wasn’t planned and there were certain shots where I remember you guys saying “That’s too Quentin.�

Rodriguez: He’d say something because he wanted to get in on working with you. You said, “Oh my God. There’s three of them.�

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm

wow thanks for that Seb!

When RR talks about Clive, he means Clive Owen right?  ???
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:45 pm

Yep

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:14 pm

ahhhh okay thanks  :D
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 am

And what about the sequence where you’ve got the gun barrel in your head and you’re in the car?

Del Toro: That’s when Quentin came in and what do you call it, the guest director?

Rodriguez: Special guest director! I was like, “Hey, we got a special guest director today.� It was strange, but you guys flowed with it. You’d think it’d be weird, with suddenly a new director coming in, but the sequences were all kind of stand alone. They were all prepared for anything. And they loved it.

Del Toro: We sat down and we talked about it. Is it a voice over? Is the character going to really talk? And Quentin said, “Well if you talk like this, we lose the voice, come back down, get the voice.� And it was all done there on the spot.

Rodriguez: The coolest thing is I kept the camera rolling so I’ve got a lot of that footage. There’s one sixteen -minute take where just kept rolling from the position of the real camera, not like behind the scenes, the real camera. So you are just like, you get to see all process. You actually get to see Quentin come into frame and give y’all direction. You guys were just going off.

Del Toro: It was like organized chaos.  It was like this – people all talking at the same time…

Rodriguez:  All over the place. It was just great.  People are going to learn a lot from seeing that. I’m going to put that on the DVD. An uninterrupted 16 minutes and you see pieces that we used and you see a lot in between with Quentin coming in and being like, “No, I think we should do it like this.â€? Effects guys coming in and fixing your neck.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=7043

GATSU

Post by GATSU » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:20 am

Yahoo has a clip of the premiere.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:40 pm

cool article:

http://u.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,14 ... 92,00.html

(thanks to dillontino)

jeffkantoku
Hard Drinker

Post by jeffkantoku » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:15 am

Here is a link to an excellent NPR radio interview with co-directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller done by fellow director Kevin Smith:

They mention Quentin as being a role model for Frank Miller's directing style.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4569989

Just click on the Listen button.
You beat a man, they call you tough. You beat an army, they call you... THE STREET FIGHTER!

AWARD FOR MOST INNOVATIVE TOPIC IDEA: "Most embarrassing situation in a movie theater" September 9th

guiltygenius
Kiddo

Post by guiltygenius » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:24 am

I just saw the movie.  The visuals are awesome!  Many parts of the movie seem to have Quentin written all over them, so I'm certain he had an impact.  Great movie!  I can't wait to buy a copy of my own.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:43 pm

LisaLovelace
Hard Drinker

Post by LisaLovelace » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:02 am

I thought you die-hard fans would be a little bit more up-to-date. The English media here tells me that:
The whole movie is filmed on green screen (Special Effect);
Quentin is definitely a guest director with his 'brother' Robert Rodriguez;
Johnny Depp was in talks about appearing in the film, but doesn't like the idea of not being able to 'act probperly and traditionally';
Sin City is already a film, quite an old film- doesn't really have anything to do wih the new one;
It is based on a comic book- hence the fact Quentin is guest directing;
It is in production now and will be released later on this year- hopefully!

I hope I've set you all straight!
Ya sure? Cristal. It's the best. I never liked champagne
before I had Cristal, now I love it.

SteveZissou

Post by SteveZissou » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:56 pm

LisaLovelace wrote: I thought you die-hard fans would be a little bit more up-to-date. The English media here tells me that:
The whole movie is filmed on green screen (Special Effect);
Quentin is definitely a guest director with his 'brother' Robert Rodriguez;
Johnny Depp was in talks about appearing in the film, but doesn't like the idea of not being able to 'act probperly and traditionally';
Sin City is already a film, quite an old film- doesn't really have anything to do wih the new one;
It is based on a comic book- hence the fact Quentin is guest directing;
It is in production now and will be released later on this year- hopefully!

I hope I've set you all straight!

was that a joke?

LisaLovelace
Hard Drinker

Post by LisaLovelace » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:37 pm

Does it sound like a joke? This isn't any kind of English joke or anything, why, does it sound funny?  :)

guiltygenius
Kiddo

Post by guiltygenius » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:10 pm

Well, for one thing, the movie has already been released (in the U.S., anyway).

LisaLovelace
Hard Drinker

Post by LisaLovelace » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:24 pm

You are the only person who will ever prove me wrong. I have to admit I didn't know it had been released yet. Why do I have to be so fuckin' English?  :-[ Anyway... the rest is stand-up! :P

tracystarlight
Kiddo

Post by tracystarlight » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29 pm

Sin City comes out in the UK at the start of June.  :(
with enough soap, you can blow up just about anything

LisaLovelace
Hard Drinker

Post by LisaLovelace » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks TracyStarlight- you know how I feel I guess! Thanks for not taking the piss! Where abouts in sunny ol' England you live then?