QT and violence

now i dunno if this is in the right section and this may have already been discussed before but why do people think QT’s films are so violent? seriously when i saw reservoir dogs and pulp fiction i had no clue why people thought it was sooo violent. correct me if im wrong but doesnt worse shit go on in slasher/horror films?

I think Reservoir Dogs is pretty brutal when you think about it, but it’s more brutal then violent, like there is about 5 or 6 shootings you actually see and they all were for no real reason (execpt Mr Blonde) but Marvin nor that woman in the car deserved it. Same goes for Pulp Fiction, Brett and Flock o Seaguls really didn’t see it coming and after Jules said that quote that was like the meaning of brutality, I really don’t think Pulp Fiction is violent. Jackie Brown had the violence toned back to almost nothing really, there was like 4 shootings in Jackie Brown and most were offscreen, Beaumont was killed in a brutal way, but that’s it. But Kill Bill is violent, mega violent, but it was done in a silly way so it’s not something to be taken seriously.

I think Jackie Brown’s violence had more impact. All the deaths seemed really sudden and unexpected.

We didn’t expect Ordell to kill BEaumont like that, without even saying a word. just BAM BAM

Then Louise casually kills Melanie because she was pissing him off. That was unexpected and pretty brutal. Killing a dumb bitch just cause she wouldn’t shut the fuck up. just because she wouldn’t shut up doesn’t mean she deserves to die.

And Louise got fucked up. I didn’t think Ordell was gonna fuck him over like that.

Then Ordell is shot dead without even getting a chance to say anything.

I’ve seen far more violent films other than reservoir dogs but I haven’t seen so much blood being lost e.g. Mr Orange. Seeming that for the majority of the film he’s lying in his own pool of blood in and out of consciousness.

i think everybody’s vision of violence is pretty subjective, and i completely agreed with QT when he said that people tend to find repulsive only the violent acts that could actually affect them, and that’s why people usually consider pulp fiction, where people get shot, more violent than, let’s say, freddie vs. jason… :slight_smile:

as for me, i think maybe only reservoir dogs can fit in the “violent” category, but then again, everytime there’s blood on the screen, there’s also some touch of humor that makes you pay less attention to the violent act, so i’m not really sure. kill bill is pretty violent, in a way, but it’s so over-gory, and over-dramatic that it all becomes a sort of cartoon, and there’s just something in your head teling you that noone of that is real…and that’s probably what makes me consider whether a movie is violent or not: i was squirming on my chair when i watched “the pianist” by r.polanski, i wasn’t when i watched fdtd, and the amount of blood and bullets is really different…

The only two parts that got to me in Kill Bill were the anime and when Go-Go guts that motherfucker at the bar. I expected the Crazy 88 fight to be violent as shit, but it was more cartoonish and silly, which took away from some of the impact.

The less Hyperactive the violence the more brutal it is.

NOT THAT BAD: HOtBL, The Pawn Shop, all of FDTD

BAD: Bride getting shot in the head, Orange, Vince’s shooting.

Violence in films is realism. Too much violence or unrealistic violence can make a film cheesy. Tarantino uses the right amount of violence in his films… realistic yet not over the top.

He pushed the boundaries with kill bill though :wink:

as said before, Kill Bill was so ludicrous it nullified its own vioklence, like Itchy and Scratchy on the Simpsons

[quote]as said before, Kill Bill was so ludicrous it nullified its own vioklence, like Itchy and Scratchy on the Simpsons[/quote]

except for the anime and Go-Go at the bar. those were fuckin graphic

ESPECIALLY the bar scene. The second viewing, I made sure to pay attention to that part. I saw fucking intestines fall out. Ouch.

The anime scene got to me too. The blood leaking through the bed and dripping on her face, that was just some cold shit right there.

[quote]

The anime scene got to me too. The blood leaking through the bed and dripping on her face, that was just some cold shit right there.[/quote]

What gets to me is when O-Ren plunges that shit deep into Matsumoto’s chest. HOLY SHIT THATS A LOT OF FUCKIN BLOOD.

And the blood sprayed all over her face and made a silhouette on the wall. It looked like spray paint, and it was fucking beautiful. Anyone who says they didn’t like the anime art style of KB has semen up their ass.

And what I liked about the sniper scene so much is that it was a homage to my favorite Japanimation, The Professional Golgo 13. That movie is so fuckin great, you seriously should see it.

Too bad I don’t know jackshit about anime. I’m not really that into it at all. At least I like the anime in Kill Bill. That’s all I got. ::slight_smile:

I’ve only seen like 10 anime, but from what I’ve seen-Japanimation is pretty kickass. I never was really able to get into the shows tho, but Cowboy Bebop is the shiznit.

The only anime show I got real into for a while was Inuyasha. The only problem with anime is that most of the stuff on tv is really confusing and annoying, not worth the cool fights and everythin.g

[quote]The only anime show I got real into for a while was Inuyasha.  The only problem with anime is that most of the stuff on tv is really confusing and annoying, not worth the cool fights and everythin.g[/quote]

I hate that kiddie bullshit like YU-YU Hagusho and Dragonball-Z. I tried to watch one episode of DBZ, and it was the stupidest and most conufsing thing that i had ever seen.

I hate anime, didn’t like it to much in Kill Bill either :-/

Ahh another thing I noticed about QT films, a woman gets shot in each one. Think about PF, where Marcellus by accident shoots a woman bystander, this isn’t seen in many films and adds to the realism of it.