Shorts

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
NonStop
Basterd

Shorts

Post by NonStop » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Only just heard of this, latest film he's directing - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1100119/

I personally wish he would just finish off Machete, though that looks like it'll never see the light of day now, and then do Sin City 2.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Re: Shorts

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52 pm

Well, Rose isn't in it at least.  But Rebel is.  I'm surprised I didn't get wind of this either.  I haven't exactly been paying much attention to RR lately though...  All his projects seem to be so talkie talkie and no shootie shootie. 

Not all that surprised...  He does tend to be spontaneous in what he decides to do.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 am

All his projects seem to be so talkie talkie and no shootie shootie.
You got that right. What surprises me his how bad whoever his assistant his I mean unless he suddenly decides to finish off Machete or do Sin City 2 straight after this, he hasn't exactly been looking after his fans.

Annie Hall
Hard Drinker

Post by Annie Hall » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:31 am

Another movie just for kids? What's the point... I believe that we'll be waiting for decades to watch Sin City 2!

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm

I like Robert's kids movies.  Plus I have a 6 year old, so I get to take her to see a movie I'll probably like that doesn't have blood, cussing, and nudity.  And she thinks Rebel's cute. 

To be honest, I'm just glad he's been doing something.  Also, SC2 can be filmed very quickly, but it'll still be in post-production for two years, so I can wait for that.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:21 pm

I think I've mentioned this a couple times already. Shorts is the movie Robert did while waiting for Frank Miller to do The Spirit. I'm pretty sure when they're both done promoting those two movies they'll move on Sin City 2. He's going to try filming Machete and Sin City 2 at the same time.
"I'm a preacher with no pulpit. Spewing a sermon that goes on and on and on."

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Argh!  I totally forgot about it Dex!  You DID mention it!  I'm sorry. 

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Dex wrote: I think I've mentioned this a couple times already. Shorts is the movie Robert did while waiting for Frank Miller to do The Spirit. I'm pretty sure when they're both done promoting those two movies they'll move on Sin City 2. He's going to try filming Machete and Sin City 2 at the same time.
Fraid I didn't see. Where did he say he's going to try and film them at the same time? I don't see why he didn't film Machete whilst waiting for Miller to finish The Spirit.But if this is so, I can understand why he's had to wait so long.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:06 pm

I thought he was just going to produce Machete not direct it.  I must have missed something.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:55 pm

It's too weird to think of Robert only doing one job on a movie he wrote. 

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:07 pm

NonStop wrote: Fraid I didn't see. Where did he say he's going to try and film them at the same time? I don't see why he didn't film Machete whilst waiting for Miller to finish The Spirit.But if this is so, I can understand why he's had to wait so long.
I think he said it at Comic Con this year. He's already got 40 minutes of Machete done and with how fast he shot the first 40 he'd probly have been done with it while The Spirit was still in pre-production.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Teaser Trailer's finally been released. This looks considerably sillier than I first imagined it.

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/12875 ... ardformat/

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Kids will love it.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 pm

It looks really fun, I will watch it. Plus, it has Leslie Mann, she is HOT.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm a kid. And I'm loving it.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:46 pm

BioBasterd wrote: I'm a kid
That explains so much.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Cyd wrote: That explains so much.
Just like Tom Hanks in "Big", only prettier of course.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:07 am

Crazy Kenneth wrote: It looks really fun, I will watch it. Plus, it has Leslie Mann, she is HOT.
I'm right there with you. Silly, fun, but looks way better than Shark Boy and Lava Girl. I'm there opening day. I mean it's Robert Rodriguez, no matter what it is it's always been interesting.

And yes, Leslie Mann is HOT. Judd is a lucky mofo.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Fri May 01, 2009 5:07 am

Has anybody realized that Warner Bros. is distributing Shorts and not the weinstein company. Maybe I'm the only one who it seems kind of weird to, but haven't the weinsteins and robert been tight since From Dusk Till Dawn?
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Fri May 01, 2009 10:40 am

Didn't they turn down a lot of Robert's ideas because he wanted to cast Rose McGowan in everything he came up with.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 pm

They said she didn't have the "star power" to play a leading lady.  Haha.  Maybe it's her fault that Grindhouse didn't do so well.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 pm

That was Barberella which was set up to be distributed through Universal Pictures.

I think there's been some tension between him and the Weinsteins over Sin City 2. Apparently it was them who stalled on it first and that's why Robert and Frank went off and did other things.

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Fri May 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Geoi wrote: They said she didn't have the "star power" to play a leading lady.  Haha. 
Whores are fine, but not leading ladies :)

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Cyd wrote: Whores are fine, but not leading ladies :)
When god gave out charm, you didn't exactly raise your hand twice, did you?
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Kenneth, it comes to a point where one gets fed up of having to defend her views with opinions she has, so I really don't know you were hoping to achieve with that remark.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Cyd wrote: Kenneth, it comes to a point where one gets fed up of having to defend her views with opinions she has, so I really don't know you were hoping to achieve with that remark.
You don' t have to defend your views or (by others presumed) personal character here! It would be perfectly boring if everyone had the same views. In your case your taste is pretty much different than most, so that always brings extra contrasts. Blergh, what I want to say: Just keep on posting and don; t worry about remarks ;)  :angel:
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri May 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Geoi wrote: They said she didn't have the "star power" to play a leading lady.  Haha.  Maybe it's her fault that Grindhouse didn't do so well.
The fact that Quentin casted her was all the more disturbing. I mean when Hitchcock said that the audience loved seeing blonde women die on the big screen, he didn't mean a fake blonde!

But oh well. It's done. It's printed. Live with it.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri May 01, 2009 8:00 pm

I actually thought she was better in Death Proof than she was in Planet Terror. I think people right now, when it comes to her and Robert, tend to focus too much on the Gossip Column bullshit and not nearly enough on actuality.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Nope, her transition from being a TV actress to being a film actress was too abrupt, the audience wasn't ready for that. And her role in Death Proof was good, I'm just saying Quentin should have used a real blond.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Too abrupt?  Like, she was doing TV, then did a film?  What do you mean?  Like an actor needs to go from a TV show, to a mini-series, to a made for TV movie, to a short film, to a real film?

I don't think Rose was good in either DP, or PT.  She's got a weird demeanor.