Is Rodriguez still making Machete?

Is Rodriguez making Machete still or is that in the ‘can’?

Or has it gone the same way Barberella is going?

Well there is no news on Machete, it’s been in “pre-production” for a very long time on IMDB, I’ve tried searching for news but it’s dated. And Barbarella was just a bad rumor, hopefully.

He’s doing Red Sonja right now.

Just read that red sonja is pretty much done or near finish and released in 2009 - Barberella (according to Empire mag) ran into one problem after another with pre-production (from all sources I know they never say what problems - I heard he wanted his girlfriends - actress from death proof and planet terror - to be the lead in Barberella) so have no idea what happened to machete, I’m sure I read somewhere shortly after the grindhouse release that rodriguez had shot plenty of footage already and severely cut it down to make the grindhouse trailer - maybe he has machete in the can?

Machete started as a story idea, and they shot the trailer specifically for the purpose of being a trailer, but RR did express interest in making it a feature. God knows what that man is thinking, or what head he’s thinking with nowadays. He needs to get his BIG head back in the game.

[quote=“Geoi”]
Machete started as a story idea, and they shot the trailer specifically for the purpose of being a trailer, but RR did express interest in making it a feature. God knows what that man is thinking, or what head he’s thinking with nowadays. He needs to get his BIG head back in the game.
[/quote]

Meh, finish off Machete, then head down to Sin City 2. The wisest decision in my mind.

At comic con he said he wants to film it at the same time as Sin City 2. I just posted a tidbit in the Sin City 2 thread that Frank Miller says that he is “very close” to starting Sin City 2. My guess is after he’s done promoting The Spirit and Robert’s done promoting Shorts.

I read a while ago that Robert actually wrote Machete back in 1993 and has been using bits and pieces of the script in his other films.

I think the Barbarella halt was because the studio wasn’t willing to pay for a big budget movie without a more famous lead actress.

Yes! I remember reading that about Machete! I thought it was just an idea that he’d cannibalised for Desparado… Well, I guess that’s still right then.

I don’t blame the studio for not wanting to shell out for a film lead by RMcG. I still can’t stand her… and not for lack of trying. I really tried to like her… But once I heard that she’d fucked Quentin WHILE fucking Robert, I lost ALL respect for her. (reliable source) Not to say that Quentin’s not irresistable… <3

[quote=“Geoi”]
But once I heard that she’d fucked Quentin WHILE fucking Robert, I lost ALL respect for her. (reliable source) Not to say that Quentin’s not irresistable… <3
[/quote]

Never heard that. Kinda sounds like typical hollywood gossip BS to me though.

I’m editing to get rid of what I’ve just typed,(for some reason the delete post button isn’t working)… so, uh, yeah, you’re probably right Dex.

Danny is about 65 now so they better start filming soon or its never gonna happen. I guess Ill have to watch Spy Kids to get my Machete fix.

machete may bappear like another risky grindhouse venture on paper - I’m sure rodriguez wants to make it at some point but he may have been put off by execs and ‘fat-cats’ who dont think its a good thing to distribute etc Maybe Rodriguez should have the Machete revenge storyline interwoven with another story making the overall plot more intricate and introducing more characters?

Well, if he films it at the same time as Sin City it shouldn’t be an issue so long as he can piggy back off it’s budget. I’m pretty sure he’s planning on it being a straight to DVD film as well so that makes it a lot less risky. Either way I’m pretty sure it won’t be a very expensive production and he’s already got 40 minutes of the film in the can.

Honestly though, I think if Robert doesn’t come out with something that makes a decent profit pretty soon he’s gonna lose a lot of the freedoms that he’s had as a filmmaker in the past. I think that’s why they’ve been talking about Sin City 2 again recently. Although if The Spirit ends up being as bad as it looks it could end up hurting their chances of the Weinsteins wanting to make another one.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

i dont know if it in the can yet but hopefully it will get made

dimension extreme could easily distribute machete, they have some terrible films in their collection they would make a profit with machete easily based on rr fanbase and even the grindhouse fanbase

by the way heres rr on machete in comicon 2008, sounds like good news…

COMIC CON 2008: Robert Rodriguez talks Machete - YouTube

RR just needs to quit talking about what he’s “gonna” do next. QT too. They just talk about shit, then it gets me all happy and excited, then they leave me hanging. That reminds me of something I need to post in another topic.

He hasnt made anything since Grindhouse… That Rose fiasco really messed his career up

He made that new kids flick. It’s just in post-production still.