Is Rodriguez still making Machete?

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
ingloriousbastard

Is Rodriguez still making Machete?

Post by ingloriousbastard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Is Rodriguez making Machete still or is that in the 'can'?
Or has it gone the same way Barberella is going?

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Re: Is Rodriguez still making Machete?

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Well there is no news on Machete, it's been in "pre-production" for a very long time on IMDB, I've tried searching for news but it's dated. And Barbarella was just a bad rumor, hopefully.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:17 pm

He's doing Red Sonja right now.

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Just read that red sonja is pretty much done or near finish and released in 2009 - Barberella (according to Empire mag) ran into one problem after another with pre-production (from all sources I know they never say what problems - I heard he wanted his girlfriends - actress from death proof and planet terror - to be the lead in Barberella) so have no idea what happened to machete, I'm sure I read somewhere shortly after the grindhouse release that rodriguez had shot plenty of footage already and severely cut it down to make the grindhouse trailer - maybe he has machete in the can?

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Machete started as a story idea, and they shot the trailer specifically for the purpose of being a trailer, but RR did express interest in making it a feature.  God knows what that man is thinking,,,, or what head he's thinking with nowadays.  He needs to get his BIG head back in the game.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Geoi wrote: Machete started as a story idea, and they shot the trailer specifically for the purpose of being a trailer, but RR did express interest in making it a feature.  God knows what that man is thinking,,,, or what head he's thinking with nowadays.  He needs to get his BIG head back in the game.
Meh, finish off Machete, then head down to Sin City 2. The wisest decision in my mind.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:00 am

At comic con he said he wants to film it at the same time as Sin City 2. I just posted a tidbit in the Sin City 2 thread that Frank Miller says that he is "very close" to starting Sin City 2. My guess is after he's done promoting The Spirit and Robert's done promoting Shorts.

I read a while ago that Robert actually wrote Machete back in 1993 and has been using bits and pieces of the script in his other films.

I think the Barbarella halt was because the studio wasn't willing to pay for a big budget movie without a more famous lead actress. 
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a preacher with no pulpit. Spewing a sermon that goes on and on and on."

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:30 am

Yes!  I remember reading that about Machete!  I thought it was just an idea that he'd cannibalised for Desparado...  Well, I guess that's still right then. 

I don't blame the studio for not wanting to shell out for a film lead by RMcG.  I still can't stand her... and not for lack of trying.  I really tried to like her...  But once I heard that she'd fucked Quentin WHILE fucking Robert,,, I lost ALL respect for her. (reliable source)  Not to say that Quentin's not irresistable... <3
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:38 am

Geoi wrote: But once I heard that she'd fucked Quentin WHILE fucking Robert,,, I lost ALL respect for her. (reliable source)  Not to say that Quentin's not irresistable... <3
Never heard that. Kinda sounds like typical hollywood gossip BS to me though.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:42 am

I'm editing to get rid of what I've just typed,,(for some reason the delete post button isn't working)... so, uh, yeah, you're probably right Dex.
Last edited by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:08 am

Danny is about 65 now so they better start filming soon or its never gonna happen. I guess Ill have to watch Spy Kids to get my Machete fix.
"Im sorry!" - Stuntman Mike

Image Image

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:41 pm

machete may bappear like another risky grindhouse venture on paper - I'm sure rodriguez wants to make it at some point but he may have been put off by execs and 'fat-cats' who dont think its a good thing to distribute etc Maybe Rodriguez should have the Machete revenge storyline interwoven with another story making the overall plot more intricate and introducing more characters?

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Well, if he films it at the same time as Sin City it shouldn't be an issue so long as he can piggy back off it's budget. I'm pretty sure he's planning on it being a straight to DVD film as well so that makes it a lot less risky. Either way I'm pretty sure it won't be a very expensive production and he's already got 40 minutes of the film in the can.

Honestly though, I think if Robert doesn't come out with something that makes a decent profit pretty soon he's gonna lose a lot of the freedoms that he's had as a filmmaker in the past. I think that's why they've been talking about Sin City 2 again recently. Although if The Spirit ends up being as bad as it looks it could end up hurting their chances of the Weinsteins wanting to make another one.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:46 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

ldyzmb

Post by ldyzmb » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 am

i dont know if it in the can yet but hopefully it will get made

dandadub
Hard Drinker

Post by dandadub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 am

dimension extreme could easily distribute machete, they have some terrible films in their collection they would make a profit with machete easily based on rr fanbase and even the grindhouse fanbase

Revenge is a dish best served cold

dandadub
Hard Drinker

Post by dandadub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 am

by the way heres rr on machete in comicon 2008, sounds like good news...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KrS5XRfeLtU

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 am

RR just needs to quit talking about what he's "gonna" do next.  QT too.  They just talk about shit, then it gets me all happy and excited, then they leave me hanging.  That reminds me of something I need to post in another topic.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 pm

He hasnt made anything since Grindhouse... That Rose fiasco really messed his career up

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 pm

He made that new kids flick.  It's just in post-production still.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I guess I keep expecting him to do Sin City 2 or Barberella with someone other than Rose McGowan

I keep forgetting about his fondness for kids movies..

dandadub
Hard Drinker

Post by dandadub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 pm

yeah but hey thats a talent to be able to do both action flicks and kids flicks isnt it. anyway kids films aside rr we need to see sin city 2, sin city 3, machete, machete kills and machete kills again! tbh ive no interest in barberella or red sonja. btw was listening to the commentary of once upon a time in mexico he said hed love to do a trilogy of ouatim so that he has two miriachi trilogies but with five films and banderos said hed definitely do it... just more projects to add to the pile aye rr!!! >:( ??? ::)
Last edited by dandadub on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 am

As much as I wanna see Machete it just doesn't make much sense to me. Why would they fast track Machete when they've still got Sin City 2 sitting on the back burner? Maybe they just think they can do it cheap and make a quick buck since most of it's done?

I think they should stick to filming it at the same time as Sin City 2 and then they can just keep filming the rest of the trilogy once Sin City 2 wraps. Either way, the longer they hold off on Sin City 2 the more and more interest dwindles.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 am

Dex wrote: Either way, the longer they hold off on Sin City 2 the more and more interest dwindles.
True. Many of the anti-social 13 year old kids who loved Sin City in 2005 will have already moved on in 2009/2010.

*Ba-dum tish*
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 am

Crazy Kenneth wrote: True. Many of the anti-social 13 year old kids who loved Sin City in 2005 will have already moved on in 2009/2010.

*Ba-dum tish*
The anti-social 13 year olds who loved Sin City are our only hope. It's the casual movie goers who dug Sin City that will be completely over it after having seen movies like 300, Max Payne, and The Spirit. All the movies that ripped off Sin City's visual style have all but killed it's sequel potential. Shit, I've got more faith in the Anti-social 13 year olds than I do in any other film going demographic when it comes to Rodriguez movies. They're the ones in the theater who everytime they see a trailer for those rip-off movies yell out "I WANT MY SIN CITY 2!"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 am

Dex wrote: ...300, Max Payne, and The Spirit. All the movies that ripped off Sin City's visual style have all but killed it's sequel potential.
well they only prove that there is a market for this kind of excessive stuff. You're right, now is the time. This fad could be over soon.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Exoskeletor
Cowardly Lion

Post by Exoskeletor » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 am

manchette trilogy? sounds cool, when i saw the trailer for the first time i say "wtf why he is not making this movie, it could be glorious"
Live And Let Die
Amiga Will Never Die PC User

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Last edited by NonStop on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Filming starts in June!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40867