Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
DangerMouse
Hard Drinker

Re: Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Post by DangerMouse » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:19 am

I've only watched it twice. Once on VHs and then on TV.
even def bitches say hi to me, she tell ehr blind bitch and she say "i gotta see"

BlazeAlpha
Hard Drinker

Post by BlazeAlpha » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:56 pm

In my opinion "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" is the weakest of the three films. The story was too thin, Salma was hardly in it, and the action scenes aren't as entertaining as the ones in "Desperado". I enjoyed "Desperado" a lot more.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:00 pm

BlazeAlpha wrote: In my opinion "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" is the weakest of the three films. The story was too thin, Salma was hardly in it, and the action scenes aren't as entertaining as the ones in "Desperado". I enjoyed "Desperado" a lot more.
i mean, stylewise and directing wise its a pretty outstanding effort. but robert didnt succeed in squeezing all the stories into it. come on look at how much potential it had. you could've made 4 hours movie out of it. what about the ex-cop? the palace revolt? and so on, Rodriguez puts so much stuff into the movie, but only shows us glimpses of it... whats left is the style and an incredibly cool Agent Sands

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:16 am

I agree. The script and story flat out sucked, but Mexico had some of the craziest and coolest action scenes i've ever seen in a movie. I don't think Desperado is all that great anyway, so I'd rate this # 2 in the Mariachi trilogy

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:40 pm

Oh, for god's sake I don't care about the script if I have seen Johny Depp with eyes cut out of his head.
[img width=500 height=66]http://i41.tinypic.com/9sqlpu.jpg[/img]

der-hans-wurst

Post by der-hans-wurst » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:21 pm

i totally agree   

personally i think this is depps best and coolest roll ever

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 pm

I agree with you there. He totally rocked in it - he was the perfect choice for that role.
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

brides_head

Post by brides_head » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:44 pm

I was expecting something really terrible cause I'm a huge fan of El Mariachi and Desperado, but not only was Johnny Depp a really good fit but the action was still there.

black-jack

Post by black-jack » Thu May 05, 2005 7:46 am

Yeh Depp rocks! he totally made Secret Window! and pirates of the Caribean as well, come to think of it, he can make any movie great...

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri May 06, 2005 10:39 am

i watched this movie again yesterday, and i come to love it. i mean, the action still looks pretty low budget and the script ist just not Rodriguez's best, he has too much to tell but just doesnt find the time to do it (the rourke character, the former fbi agent, the flash backs, the sands backstory etc). but the film is full with nice moments.

i kinda dont like the score though, rodriguez should hire guys, not take on the score himself. it just doesnt sound "mariachi" enough :-)

FedayKinn
Kiddo

Post by FedayKinn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:58 pm

The Seb wrote: whats left is the style and an incredibly cool Agent Sands
Agree. I like Sands too :)

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:46 am

heard they are coming at with a Once upon a time in mexico video game. Anybody heard of this?

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Has anyone seen Johnny Guitar - a movie by Nocholas Ray (1954) - director of Rebel Without A Cause.

Well anyway it's a western that features this gunfighter who walks around with a guitar, very much like El Mariachi. I just thought Robert might have gotten the entire idea for his character from this movie.

I think they're replaying this movie on the retroplex channel, I saw it last night after watching Rumble Fish on demand. Tv has never been better!

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 pm

El Mariachi was the first film with the character with the guitar. This is the third film in the series.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 pm

I know that. The character "Azul" carried the case with weapons and El Mariachi wasen't really a gun fighter - he is just mistaken as one.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:40 pm

OK, I mustve misread what you were saying there.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 pm

Yeah. I was referring to the character that Banderas plays "El Mariachi".

Has anyone actually seen Johnny Guitar - dopey title but it's a pretty unique western.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 pm

No I thought you were saying that OUATIM was the film that was inspired by Johnny Guitar. As if it was the first film with El Mariachi.

And Ive seen Johnny Guitar, its a really good film.

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:55 pm

I just thought Robert might have gotten the entire idea for his character from this movie.
I meant Robert got some ideas from Johnny Guitar.

Anyways, have you ever seen so many stiff women in one movie - yeeesh!

VALVESTINO
Cowardly Lion

Post by VALVESTINO » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Dear Sebastian and members,                                                                                                      last saturday I've seen at last "Once upon a time in Mexico"  of Rodriguez in home video version.              I've read some advices of other fans that have founded that Mariachi as character is like a mexican 007.  But the best impression is that all three actors, Depp, Banderas and Rourke can suggest a memory of      previous films played; not only the guns are the first objects but also the guitar that Mariachi is taking      in every place to find occasions to play. For us in Italy the memory of S. Leone "Giu' la testa" is strong.    In conclusion, for director Rodriguez not only a show, but a walk in the recent story of cinema.              Giuliano Giuricin    Grado Italy

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:31 pm

VALVESTINO wrote: Dear Sebastian and members,                                                                                                       last saturday I've seen at last "Once upon a time in Mexico"  of Rodriguez in home video version.              I've read some advices of other fans that have founded that Mariachi as character is like a mexican 007.  But the best impression is that all three actors, Depp, Banderas and Rourke can suggest a memory of      previous films played; not only the guns are the first objects but also the guitar that Mariachi is taking      in every place to find occasions to play. For us in Italy the memory of S. Leone "Giu' la testa" is strong.    In conclusion, for director Rodriguez not only a show, but a walk in the recent story of cinema.               Giuliano Giuricin    Grado Italy
I don't understand fully what you are trying to say, but the "El Mariachi" character in Rodriguez's Mariachi films is based upon or atleast is reference to Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" character in Leone's "Dollars trilogy" and much less to do with Duck, You Sucker. The thing he wears around his hand is similar to (if not the same as) the one Eastwood wears in those films. Furthermore, as both Rodriguez and QT love Leone, QT suggested that El Mariachi and Desperado could be Rodriguez's "Dollars Trilogy", and that he should name the final installment "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". This film in particular has a few references to Leone's films, and implements certain Leone styles as well such as the "mexican standoff", the Spaghetti-Western-like music and of course as already mentioned, "the man with no name character", a man with almost no past, almost no connections, who travels to different towns to sort out unfinished business.

I'm sure others here could give you a much better answer.   :)

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Really didn't like this film. Some bad acting, the story is weak, and there were too many ridiculous scenes that went beyond just being 'fun'. desperado is definitely the best of the trilogy.