Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
badassmovieman
Hard Drinker

Post by badassmovieman » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:09 am

I'm seeing this Robert Rodriguez movie "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" next Tuesday and a premiere of it on Sep. 10th..... RR will be @ premiere so if anyone here has a question you've always wanted to ask him let me know and I'll be sure to ask him then. I know we have some pretty big RR fans on here.

Also if you can find a uncut copy of the early 70's Fernando Di Leo movie "Caliber 9" definitely check it out... its one of the best gangster movies of all time...

saulo
Kiddo

Re: Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Post by saulo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:48 am

Ask him what he kinda project does he want to do next.Thanks
Last edited by saulo on Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did they look like psychos, they were vampires, psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them I don’t give a fuck how crazy they are!!!
Seth Gecko-From Dusk till Dawn

Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:37 am

Cool.  Lucky you.

Ask him what part he was going to give Quentin.  If you can follow it up with if an actor replaced Quentin or he just took out the character.  Thanks.  

Where is this screening, and how did you get tickets?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:51 pm

Quentin was being considered to play Dany Trejo's "Cousin" the character was called "knife cousin".

yeah ask him

1. what are his next projects

2. is he going to to more of that spy kids CRAP

3. is he making a full feature film out of Bedhead?

4. will he make a movie with Salma Hayek starring?

Spike

Post by Spike » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:26 am

That's funny.  Navajas was Trejo's character in Desperado.  Navajas means Knife.  I can't see Quentin as a relative of Trejo, though.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:34 pm

that was in the very early stages of the script, I think. Remember when that Rodriguez site (russian one, i knew the webmaster very good) was still around? that was years ago.... I wonder what happened to that russian girl who made that site.... I hope nothing bad happened.

badassmovieman
Hard Drinker

Post by badassmovieman » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:27 am

I'll be at the Austin premiere next week but I saw "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" last night at a different screening... they didn't have the print fully in focus last night so that was a bit annoying and a older lady movie critic sitting next to me told me although she was legally blind she still worked as a movie critic writing reviews.

"Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is a dark, moody and edgy entry into the El Mariachi series... this is a revenge movie... much similar in moody revenge tone as the 77 movie "Rolling Thunder." Though a revenge movie their is many light hearted moments and seriously funny moments and about 2 pretty good scares - where something happened suddenly by surprise that scared the crap out of people in the audience. The action is incredible... its definitely cranked up even higher here than in previous 2 Mariachi movies... the guns are loud REAL LOUD... and some serious violence goes down. Johnny Depp has many great lines and moments in the movie and Danny Trejo from what I got was in this movie the brother of the character he played in Desperado. I don't want to spoil anything... and with so many great moments in the movie... and critics bound to spoil parts of it... know as little as possible going into it and see it before anyone can ruin anything... but just go in expecting a much darker, edgier El Mariachi movie thats a revenge movie at its core... and there are no Salma love scenes... and their is a brief 1 sec thing at the very very end of the closing credits (though you won't miss anything if you don't wait for it). This is definitely my favorite Robert Rodriguez movie.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:51 am

It's cool to hear you liked it; can't wait to see it myself. But my favorite Rodriguez movie will probably remain "From Dusk Till Dawn"   :-*

badassmovieman
Hard Drinker

Post by badassmovieman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:42 am

The version I like the best of *From Dusk Til Dawn* is that extended directors cut I have on laserdisc (not sure if that version has found its way to dvd yet). Any fans of the movie that haven't seen that version - definitely seek it out.

I'll definitely hold a special place for that movie as it was the first time I ever saw Rodriguez and Tarantino in person. It was at a press screening and they seemed to both be wanting not to be bothered and go under the radar... but Tarantino standing next to bandana wearing Robert Rodriguez - stands out like a sore thumb in a crowd to any movie lover.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:24 pm

this is already the second OUATIM topic and people started a third one!!! ..which i deleted.
here's what they posted:

BadMotherFucker:
I saw OUTIM and it was   my favorite Rob Rodriguez movie so far (which in my opinion isn't saying a lot) I liked the first two El Mariachi's and this one was the best. The only thing i didn't like was how Johnny Depp (Who was really good by the way) was in it 2.7 times as much as Antonio Banderas. El mariachi was almost the smallest character in the movie, except for Salma Hayek, who didn't get naked... yet. And SPOILER johnny depp is in the movie.   If you wanna see the Kill Bill trailer on the big screen it does play before OUTIM. That's it.  

QTfightclub:
Great movie, looked beutiful, but only the old Kill Bill teaser before it. (in my theatre.)

please check the boards before you start a new topic, there might already be one

Puck

Post by Puck » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:06 pm

I caught Once Upon a Time in Mexico last night, and I thought it was the better than Desperado (haven't seen El Mariachi yet).  Everything in this movie was bigger and better than anything that came before it in the franchise with the exception of Antonio Banderas' part.  And, of course, if you despise Banderas (the way I do) then you're certainly glad when the movie shifts to Johnny Depp's (who steals the movie as always), Mickey Rourke's, Wilem Dafoe's, or Ruben Blades' point of view.  IMO, the constant shifting and sub plots upon sub plots keep the movie from turning into the snooze fest that was the last forty minutes of Desperado.

I would give a longer, more in depth and professional review...if I weren't such a bastard.  At the moment, you'll have to settle for a, "if you liked Desperado you'll love this one".  Good script, great cast, great action, and a lot more ambitious than any of the previous movies in the franchise.

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:05 am

2. is he going to to more of that spy kids CRAP

I have had enough of this small minded hatred for Spy Kids. There is nothing wrong with those films. They are well made and entertaining family pictures.

Also, if I can remember correctly, he said that he was doing (or at this point, it would be has done) the final installments of bothn the El M. and Spy Kids series.
Last edited by Holiday on Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tab665

Post by tab665 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:54 am

i want to see this movie, but i havent seen the first two yet. can anyone tell me if ill be confused as hell walking into this movie without having a clue what the first two were about?

QTfightclub
Real McCoy

Post by QTfightclub » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:00 am

I saw it twice, once with my mom, who saw the first two, and again with two friends that haven't. My mom completly dug it, and so did my friends, but they (and you) will like it so much more having at least seen Desperado. And some stuff in it will mean sooooooo much more to you having seen both. But I have to say it again, IT WAS SO GOOD! I loved it, one of the best movies I've seen all year (so far). And I see a shit load of movies (Commercial, and Art House, more art though).

Puck

Post by Puck » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:55 am

You'll like it just as much as if you had seen Desperado if not more, depending on wether or not this is your type of movie.  In my opinion, Once Upon a Time in Mexico is much more self contained story than Desperado, not really relying on the other films at all for its strength of plot or character depth.  

Spike

Post by Spike » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:29 pm

I saw it and loved it.  Better than Desperado in some ways and worse in others.  The story felt less focused than Desperado with all the ancillary plotlines going one, but that sort of made it more fun for me.  I didn't find them confusing at all, either.  The double crosses are all explained as they happen.  

I didn't feel like Depp took over the movie, he was the second "main" character, though.  Kinda like Bucho in Desperado.

Anyone catch that Rourke's dog's name was "Moco".  That part really cracked me up.  There are also some super close close-ups.  We got way too close on Banderas a couple times, so close you could see every pore in his cheeks, every blackhead in his nose.

I can't believe there was no Kill-Bill trailer at all in front of this movie.  What a wasted opportunity.  The perfect audience for it.

I saw it on DLP and it looked beautiful, except for the one handheld scene where Depp goes into the kitchen of the resteraunt he meets Banderas at for the first time.  It looked to video-y.  Like an episode of cops.  Maybe that was done on purpose, I don't know.

youngdilatedjunkie

Post by youngdilatedjunkie » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:14 am

Once Upon A Time In Mexico I'll say deserves a C +.  I loved how Rodriquez went all out by making it seem like a great epic but unfortunatly it didn't work.

Johny Depp was great and his character was brillant, but what about the others?  Did anyone give a damn about El Mariachi or his guitar slinging friends?  Where was Salma? She takes up half the movie poster, yet is in the movie for about 5 minutes?  Defoe was good but we didn't get enough of him.  A very ambitious movie with not enough character development.

Also, was it just me or where the action scenes made a bit half fast?  Where was the excitement which made the shoot-outs in Desperado so lovely to witness.  Everything was staged perfectly in Desperado and in this movie it seemed like they came up with stunts to do right on the set.  Not enough preperation is seemed.

It had an alright story, but it still didn't get close to the power the original movie bestowed upon us.  Rodriquez wanted this to be so great and complicated that it just fell off towards the middle.

I good movie but far from a great one.  Has it's moments like all movies, but not much else. See it if you loved the first two.  If you didn't, just wait for a better movie like Kill Bill to come out for your action movie needs. Long live the original El Mariachi.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:45 am

I liked it, but i don't think it was really great. i liked it best out of all the El Mariachi's, but i can't really say why. Antonio banderas had a much smaller part in this one. It seemed to me like Depp was the lead. Also, where i saw it it did play the Kill Bill Trailer, i don't know where you guys saw it but in LA it did.

jkybrown3278

Post by jkybrown3278 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:44 am

Mild Spoiler****

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I agree with youngjunkie the shoot-outs were lacking.  I would have also liked more of Salma, it would have added more depth and pain if we could have spent more time with them married that was a sorely neglected plot point.  But one of my favorite characters was Mickey Rourke's, he was on-point! He was funny without being silly, I felt like Depp's shit was silly most of the time, I actually didnt even like his character until he lost his eyes, then he became interesting.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:33 am

I would have liked to see more Salma too, but for different reasons. I did think the shootouts were a little lacking, but i do think it was still a really good movie.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:25 pm

yeah the kill bill trailer was in front of the film i saw.

definitely needed more rourke and dafoe

tab665

Post by tab665 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:33 pm

well i went and saw this movie without seeing desperado, and i didnt have a problem understanding what was going on or anything, but i did have a problem liking this movie. about halfway through i had to talk myself into staying through the rest of the movie. theres just something i hate about one man in the middle of a crowd, and while that whole crowd is shooting at him noone manages to shoot him, yet hes able to kill every single one of them. plus i hate bandaras, i wanted him to die the whole movie. this movie stinks like shit.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:40 am

The movie isn't supposed to be serious. The whole point of him not getting hit by anything is that he's making fun of the other two movies, where that happened but it was more serious, specifically El Mariachi. Try not to take it seriously, it's a genre film that knows it's a genre film.

Puck

Post by Puck » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:07 am

The movie isn't supposed to be serious. The whole point of him not getting hit by anything is that he's making fun of the other two movies, where that happened but it was more serious, specifically El Mariachi. Try not to take it seriously, it's a genre film that knows it's a genre film.
Yep.  Think of El Mariachi (the character not the movie) as a Mexican James Bond, and you'll have a much better time in theaters.

superflyTNT
Hard Drinker

Post by superflyTNT » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:37 pm

Haven't seen cause it's not out here...
It's actually coming out after Kill Bill, how lame is that. I want to be seeing some trailers on the big screen before i go into Kill Bill and that was meant to be my movie.. dammit.

Anyways, i have listened to the soundtrack which was quite good. I presume the soundtrack in the movie was good too?
"you have a destiny: forget joy, forget sorrow, forget love and hate, forget everything except vengeance." -- Lady Snowblood

jkybrown3278

Post by jkybrown3278 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:59 am

^^^ I was very impressed with the score of the movie.  I loved the music of Desperado so when I heard Robert Rodriguez scored the movie himself I was skeptical, but the soundtrack was really good.  

I'll probably go see the movie again next week,  this time just to sit back and enjoy it, I think I was compariing too much to Desperado so I may have cheated myself.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:03 am

Yeah. A lot of times when i watch movies for the first time i'm far too critical. I need to just sit back and enjoy el filmo.

Spike

Post by Spike » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:47 pm

I liked the score, it was a little bombastic, over-the-top, but I think it fit well.  I thought the score was mixed really high in the theatre, too loud almost.  I guess Rodriguez was really proud of it and wanted to make sure we heard it.

jkybrown3278

Post by jkybrown3278 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:24 pm

^ or he was going for the "epic" sound.

badassmovieman
Hard Drinker

Post by badassmovieman » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:05 am

Sorry just getting back here... my main computer died and @ my place of work couldn't get this site pulled up for whatever reason til today. So anyway... went to Austin regional premiere and still working on all my notes and trivia I wrote down from what Robert Rodriguez said. He was pretty tight lipped about his future movie project, there is some sorta animation thing up next and then he's doing as he says "a thriller that will take full use of the latest generation of Hi-Def cameras."

In the meantime here is some snippets of info I got:

* Robert is writing another book about filmmaking for those out there wanting to learn or be a filmmaker... says its currently at 10,000 pages and when he finishes it he will post it on a Web site and let people download it for free.

* "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" is actually closer to being the 4th movie in this series according to Robert, the 3rd would be the movie you see in flashbacks during the 4th one.

* A great scene Robert cut between Danny Trejo and Mickey Rourke talking about not being able to eat Mexican food will be on the dvd.

* Enrique came into the movie because Robert was like "you know Ricky Nelson was in Hawks "Rio Bravo" and I love that movie so I gotta have a Ricky Nelson in this one... so he cast Enrique

* During the church shoot out they had no guns... because they were shooting everything so quick (thanks to hi-def camera's) they were will ahead on shooting schedule and guns had yet to pass through being allowed into Mexico. So all the actors had to basically pretend they had guns and later on in post Robert had guns digitally added. At one point when they were shooting Antonio would provide his own sound effects for gun going off (like kids would do when their little playing w/ toy guns), to which Robert had to tell him "don't worry about gun shot noises will add those later." At a later point in the movie they had to film something quick minus a gun for Antonio so Robert told him "OK time to do fake gun again."

* The tune you hear Dafoe play on Piano in one scene is actually the score of Spy Kids II

* Johnny Deep based his character on an old attorney he used to have that was somewhat subdued and never cussed and always substituted bad words w/ really loony words. Robert wrote most all of dialogue Johnny said... only real difference is in Robert's draft the character cussed like crazy to which Depp put in/replaced with corny words and dumbed his overall character to be like his older attorney

* Robert Rodriguez asked Johnny Depp (he is a musician after all) to write a musical theme for his character. So the actual theme you hear for Depp's character intro and other parts that involve him are all accompyanied by a musical score that Depp wrote.
Last edited by badassmovieman on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.