El Mariachi

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
BadMotherFucker

El Mariachi

Post by BadMotherFucker » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:24 am

Is el mariachi good at all? If so, is it as good as desperado? I was just wondering because i noticed that you can get a two pack with them both and if it's good i would probobly do that. thanks.

QTfightclub
Real McCoy

Re: El Mariachi

Post by QTfightclub » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:30 am

El Mariachi is 10x better than Desperado! It has really great characters, and it is a truly great piece of filmmaking. Can't wait for O.U.A.T.I.M.!

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:43 pm

the real point about El Mariachi, is the genius way how it was made. It's really amazing filmmaking. El Mariachi shows you how talented Robert Rodriguez is. This was a bullshit budget he had, and the equipment sucked, and he had trouble over trouble, but it didn't stop him to put ideas and ideas into a little film that looks like it was shot with twice the budget he had.

Also read his book and watch the special features, it's damn interesting.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:35 pm

Anyone else think the guy who plays the BOSS looks like James Spader?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:11 pm

I forgot what the boss looked like; it's been quite a while since I saw "El Mariachi". But regarding the 2 DVD pack; I think it's definetely worth the price. There is a very interesting feature called "The 10 minute Film School" which basically shows how Rodriguez managed to shoot certain scenes with the minimum budget and resources possible. "El Mariachi" is a great movie considering its budget, but "Desperado" is a far better movie IMO. It is more ambitious, has great action, an awesome cast (including the man QT himself), and the ever-gorgeous Salma Hayek. Hell, I still have to buy this 2-pack myself; it's been quite a while since I last rented it.  

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:41 am

for real - selma can't act but she's an amazing piece of ass!

Cherry_Licker

Post by Cherry_Licker » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:21 am

Salma Hayek is just fucking hot. PERFECT body, NICE BIG ASS, NICE LEGS, NICE TITS, NICE FACE.....holy shit.

But she can act dude, she just has a stron accent which deprives her from certain roles in Hollywood. Kinda gay.

Hm....I wonder if I used the word "deprived" correctly.... ::)

But yeah, Desperado is better than El Mariachi just because I think the music and acting in El Mariachi is just fucking annoying. I hate Spanish movies like that.....but El MAriachi was definetely great for what it did, which is pave the road for independant filmmakers like myself.

Desperado is such a stylistic film, the opening monologue bu Steve Buscemi makes the movie a classic. Definetely one of the best Action films made
Last edited by Cherry_Licker on Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:28 pm

for real - selma can't act but she's an amazing piece of ass!
Check out "Frida" dude. You'd probably be surprised by her acting.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:54 pm

thanks im definately gonna get it now. thanks alot.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:54 pm

Yeah I hear she does a good job in FRIDA

Anyhow - I got the Desparado New Edition and enjoyed the sneak peak of OUTIMexico and the 10 minute showcase of how he shoots scenes

good stuff

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:14 am

where'd you get it? i couldn't find it.

Spike

Post by Spike » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:57 am

Check out "Frida" dude. You'd probably be surprised by her acting.
And if you don't like the acting, she gets topless a lot, too ;)

Seriously, though, it's a good movie.  Better than the usual biopic fare.

One of the things I love about El Mariachi and Desperado and OUATIM are the goofy character names he gives people.

The bad guy in El Mariachi is named Moco - which means booger.  The guy who originally had the guitar case full of weapons is named Azul, which means Blue - The guy wears a blue T-shirt the whole movie!  Mocho's second in command is named Bigoton, which means big Mustache.  Guess  what kind of facial hair he has?  I find it funny anyway.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:11 pm

where'd you get it? i couldn't find it.
amazon.com, please use my links. thank you ;-) the DVD is worth every cent. great special featuers

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:42 am

oh, i was planning on it. i was going to buy it on amazon if i couldn't find it at best buy or something.

Spike

Post by Spike » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:32 am

I'm glad I preordered the set because they only have the new editions of each movie by itself at Best Buy.  THey are charging 15.00 a piece.  They have a Once upon a time in Mexico preview on them.  I hope the set I got has that too.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:14 pm

I just bought them both and i thought they were really great. For some reason i liked Desperado more than el mariachi, but thats probably just because of the Salma Hayek fuck scene. I really liked el mariachi and thought it was really good for 7000 dollars or whatever he had. The only thing i didn't really like about desperado was the rocket launcher. That was pretty stupid. other than that they were both awesome films.

QTfightclub
Real McCoy

Post by QTfightclub » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:14 am

Yea, the whole rocket launcher guitar case thing was a little cheesy, and far fetched.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:18 pm

that's exactly what i was thinking.

Spike

Post by Spike » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:33 pm

Yea, the whole rocket launcher guitar case thing was a little cheesy, and far fetched.
The whole movie is kinda cheesey and far-fetched, but that's what's so great about it.  Over the top cartoon gun action in a hyper realized southwest setting.  Crazy over-the-top stuff is what keeps this from being just another schlocky, hollywood action picture.  

When El Mariachi shoots someone, they don't just fall backward dead, they explode through air like they were shot out of a cannon! C'mon!  That makes it great!

I just got a pic of the three Mariachis from Desperado from badassmovieimages.com and put it on my desktop.  Looks pretty cool.  And far-fetched. :)

Puck

Post by Puck » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:36 am

If you weren't turned off by the bad guys' complete inability to hit Banderas in the barroom scene, despite having superior numbers and weapons, I don't see how you can be turned off by a rocket launcher in a guitar case.

I, myself, start falling asleep everytime I watch Desperado some time right after Buscemi dies.  For me, the movie peaks out somewhere between that scene and the bar scene, and despite the increased explosions and violence, it never quite reaches that perfect mixture of decent story telling, adrenaline, and testosterone, again.
Last edited by Puck on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:56 am

Rodriguez doesnt really seem to have much range as a writer/editor/director imo. I know he does all his own stuff, but that guerilla filmmaking stuff doesnt work in the long run.  I mean OUTIM seems like a rehash of Desperado with just more characters and more action (BIG DEAL). I'll probably see it, but its nothin thats going to be a classic of the action genre. Rodriguez isnt that kind of director. Anyone that makes 3 Spy Kids movies isnt gonna be hailed as a great director in their career.  He seems to just be goin for the quick bucks like a mexican version of Michael Bay.

Someone needs to tell Robert that the John Woo gunfighting stuff is old hat. Its 2003 not 1994. I honestly dont really find Rodriguez as intriguing as I did when he first came out.  I think hes kind of a goofball. lol.
Last edited by Toothpick_Vic_Vega on Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

saulo
Kiddo

Post by saulo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:04 am

I think RR can be a fucken awesome director. He just needs to take the time to fully developed his scripts/stories. I actually think he is a good director I look at the camera angles in his movies and they are nicely placed. And if only cared about money I don’t think he would take so much time into making one of his films. I think he loves making movies. And  I think someone here once read that he said that he hated the film making process, then remarked with something like see he only makes it for the money or implied that. Ive heard a lot of directors making the same comment and it doesn’t mean they are in it just for the money.
If RR and QT would have worked together on the script and RR directed it, there is NO doubt in my mind that it would have been an instant classic.
And he didn’t make Spy kids 2 and 3 just because there was money to be made. He had always wanted to make a family adventure film staring Latinos. And that what he did. The fact that people liked it gave his the excuse to make more of what he already wanted to do in the first place. SO BACK THE FUCK OFF of Spy Kids what made for kids. Im so fucken tired of hearing people saying, “spy kids suck spy kids suck� well don’t see it then. Just like Quentin said if you don’t like his movie then fuck you it wasn’t made for you. He did it for him self.
Last edited by saulo on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did they look like psychos, they were vampires, psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them I don’t give a fuck how crazy they are!!!
Seth Gecko-From Dusk till Dawn

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:28 pm

If RR and QT would have worked together on the script and RR directed it, there is NO doubt in my mind that it would have been an instant classic.

And he didn’t make Spy kids 2 and 3 just because there was money to be made.
I think RR should do his own dialogue, QT shouldnt be helping him write stuff. The same goes for Roger Avary. Those guys need to find their own voices and stop leeching off QT.

Spy Brats series wasnt about money? I dont know about that. Cranking out 3 of those movies loaded with CGI shit in em isnt the mark of a  master filmmaker.

RR needs to show he can be more than just a mexican John Woo/George Lucas wannabe. You saw what happened to Woo and Lucas, they both suck now.

I think everyone knows exactly what I'm saying. I'm just being honest about what I'm seeing in front of my eyes.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:52 pm

pete, you have to consider what a technical genius rodriguez is. he is a true filmmaker. he makes his movies way under budget, has enourmous ideas and tricks and he is the first director who used High Definition in a way that it looks good (fuck Lucas). He hasn't really made any "great" movies and all but his work - the work itself! - is awesome. I watch Desperado and I know that all the stuff is just made on this "little" budget and i watch the documentary and all and its just amazing how this guy works.

he's not a great writer or anything, he's a great film-maker, because he knows how to handle camera, editing and all....

saulo
Kiddo

Post by saulo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:31 pm

what are talking about leeching. Tarantino touches up scripts all the time. Its not Tarantino makes movies all the time. And some directors arent always writers. He is far from a George Lucas wannabe. Just cause he does some effects in his movies to save money doesnt make him one. Im sure he knows what happen to lucas and woo. But what was the one thing people kept buging him about when he kept making those spy kids films. "fuck spy kids wheres OUATIM"
I hope he does make a different type of movie as well. who knows maybe theyll let his ass do that preditor movie he wrote years back.
Did they look like psychos, they were vampires, psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them I don’t give a fuck how crazy they are!!!
Seth Gecko-From Dusk till Dawn

Spike

Post by Spike » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:07 pm

I like Rodriguez, but those spy kids movies are pretty hard to watch.  I also like special effects/fantasy movies, but spy kids 3 had some of the worst special effects I've ever seen.  It just really felt slap-dash, like he wan't putting enough time into it.

The interviews I've seen with Rodriguez lately don't help things.  He comes off very arrogant.  He talks shit about all the failures of the "studio" system or the traditional way of filmaking, but isn't really putting out superior product, IMHO.  He does seem happy with it, though.  Most DVD commentaries from directors seems to focus on failures or things they are not happy with, but not Rodriguez.

Say what you want about him, there is no doubt that that is his vision on the  screen.  He does so many jobs now that there is really only him to blame for failures or give the credit for successes.  Production designer, cinematographer, camera operator, editor, director and now he learned how to score film for OUATIM.

He said that the reason OUATIM was delayed was because he wanted to take the time to learn how to do real film scoring.

I also applaud him for being one of the few mainstream directors out there who employs or makes stories about Latinos.  He's also a populist, in that he seems to really encourage people to learn about filmmaking and that's nice.

He seems to make his money back each time he makes a film, so I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more movies from him in the future.

QTfightclub
Real McCoy

Post by QTfightclub » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:13 am

I love RR, he is such a great filmmaker, and he is just about as insparational to me, as QT. He tells people to go for it, and make their movie, and that you don't need all the circumstances to be just right. And he is such a pioneer, he made a decent cheap movie, he did a 3D movie, and he is shooting in HD (that looks good transfered to film.) And he never said that he hates the actual production process, he has often said that he doesn't understand why other directors say this, in his book for one, he said that he was listening to the Scorcese commentary on the Taxi Driver laserdisc, and that Scorcese said that, and he didn't understand why he felt that way, because he (RR) loved shooting the movie.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:06 am

i agree with little parts of what everyone has said. he is a good director but all his movies are shot similar. i don't think he thinks about why he's doing certain  things, he just does them because they look cool, which kind of gets boring. Oh yeah, and the bar scene where banderas never gets hit did piss me off, i just forgot about it. I'm definatley going to see once upon a time in mexico, but i'm not sure what to think right now. hey, only three days right.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:15 pm

I sooo wanna see a 3-D movie; I've never seen one in my whole life. But my friends 'll probably laugh at me if I tell them to go watch "Spy Kids".
Last edited by Scarface on Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

oifnolykous

Post by oifnolykous » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:46 pm

I haven't seen any of the Spy Kids movies-I will someday, but I saw yesterday, the only movie by Rodriguez except SK that i hadn't see. "The Faculty" what a piece of crap!! Awfull! The only good thing was the homages to "The Thing" I can't believe that Rodriguez made that a-la Scream flick! :-X