Robert Rodriguez's Sin City

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)

Which story is the most kick ass out from the film?

The Hard Goodbye
13%
The Hard Goodbye
13%
The Big Fat Kill
19%
The Big Fat Kill
19%
The Yellow Bastard
18%
The Yellow Bastard
18%

Total votes: 110

SteveZissou

Re: Robert Rodriguez's Sin City

Post by SteveZissou » Fri May 27, 2005 2:23 am

$30 for a dvd with no special features? Fuck that. I spent $30 for Kill Bill Vol.2 in Hawai'i because i wanted it on the release date. I like, had to go everywhere looking for that fucking disc. I'm never going back to Hawai'i. But yeah, $30 is way over priced. Maybe if it had the theatrical cut with three additional discs for each story it'd be worth it. Then i could see buying it.

God

Post by God » Fri May 27, 2005 3:35 am

Uh, you guys are high. 30 dollars it the retail price. They say that for every upcoming dvd, when in reality it'll only be like 15-20 bucks at any Best Buy or random place that sells movies.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri May 27, 2005 6:39 am

20 bucks is still a lot for a bare-bones "buena vista double dip suck my clients dry" dvd. i mean, everyone KNOWS there's a bigger one coming. so why buy it? just rent it!
i didnt buy the kill bill dvds either. 1) i can wait 2) there's a better one coming 3) if i just want to see the movie i just rent it

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Fri May 27, 2005 3:18 pm

Spoilers ahead.

I saw Sin City and there was nothing that could get my attention. Everybody kills everybody, HOW FUCKING COOL. You see a guy killing another one and talking silently and in the "cool" tone, then another one comes up and shoots him, and talks the same way, then a whore comes up and shoots him, for revenge we don't care about, then another guy comes up and shoots her, but dies of a heart attack because he didn't took his medicine. Serious, there were like five tough guys who needed medicine all the time, everybody sucked. Only the silent guy, but he got killed. Wow. The best part was the beginning opening credits. I don't like comics.
[img width=500 height=66]http://i41.tinypic.com/9sqlpu.jpg[/img]

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri May 27, 2005 3:27 pm

haha fuck, why did i just read that spoiler, i was warned and everything

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Fri May 27, 2005 3:30 pm

Dude, you lose nothing. Go and see it. By the way there's Madsen and he looks JUST LIKE in Reservoir Dogs. Yeah by the way I went home and watched RD to  somehow wash away the disappointment.

God

Post by God » Sun May 29, 2005 5:04 pm

Bleach wrote:
Serious, there were like five tough guys who needed medicine all the time, everybody sucked.

hahaha, that's funny

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Sun May 29, 2005 9:32 pm

Seb
3) if i just want to see the movie i just rent it
Yeah but how many times have you rented it? how much you spent?

(why is my quote button not working?)

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Mon May 30, 2005 3:49 pm

wednesday's the time  8) just saw a new commercial on tv, "Sin City ... Robert Rodriguez ... Quentin Tarantino..." hhaha, made me laugh, annyways, cant wait to see it

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Tue May 31, 2005 4:12 pm

i just saw the trailer in its entirely and it called it "the new pulp fiction" lol, thats a bit much isnt it

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Tue May 31, 2005 4:23 pm

Those bitches. Just because of three parts starring Bruce Willis in one of them.

The general rule in Sin City - shoot, never talk cool shit before killing, because the victim will shoot you, you will survive, shoot the victim again, he'll survive and then kill you. Almost close to truth.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Tue May 31, 2005 11:00 pm

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" - Tuco

WeaselCo

Post by WeaselCo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:58 am

Seb (admin) wrote: 20 bucks is still a lot for a bare-bones "buena vista double dip suck my clients dry" dvd. i mean, everyone KNOWS there's a bigger one coming. so why buy it? just rent it!
i didnt buy the kill bill dvds either. 1) i can wait 2) there's a better one coming 3) if i just want to see the movie i just rent it
I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!! Why the fuck does Quentin keep disappearing and nothing happens. In between Vol. 1 and 2 he dissapeared, the website wasn't maintained and turned to shit, and then he comes out and its like so here the second part of my movie, go see it, its like my western, I'm going to release the whole dvd in April, then he disappears again only popping up to receive awards and shit. Quentin, just release the fucking bloodbath complete version, throw 30 bucks on it and ship it. I don't care if it don't have 3 minute interviews with you commenting on, you see what I mean, like, Sergio leone was the man, see, and like his movies, like, had this essence that just blows your frigging mind. Yada yada yada. After this long there better be a frigging commentary covering the whole 3+ hours.

And Bleach you just need to learn to appreciate a good action movie. A movie with balls. First you say neither to Die Hard vs. Last Boy Scout and now you're dissing this film, give me a fucking break. Sin City kicks ass and it looks good doing it.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:33 am

didnt buy the kill bill dvds ether, waiting for the ultimate edtition

21grams
Basterd

Post by 21grams » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:37 am

Yep, I liked the movie a lot. There are some great things in it. Liked the most the story with Rourke, but the others rocked too.
I really appreciated the style. =)

brides_head

Post by brides_head » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:40 pm

I wholeheartedly agree.  I loved this film and am really excited to see a Sin City 2 -- props to Rodriguez for adapting this faithfully.

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:24 pm

I'm off to see it NOW!!

Premiere
Hard Drinker

Post by Premiere » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:22 pm

I saw it yesterday, and was truely impressed.  I'd go as far as saying every scene is a stealer.  If I were to compare with Kill Bill, it's probably even more violent, gritty and dark.  I literally couldn't believe they could get away with a lot of this stuff, but stylistically it's been accomplished in such a way as to be acceptable to censors. 

I can't wait for a few more issues on celluloid next year.... freakin' great.
My CD collection: here
My DVD collection:here

savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Post by savage_henry » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:10 pm

yeah saw it over the weekend, just came out over here in uk. i thought it was definitely the best movie ive seen in years, couldnt take my eyes off it! the best audience reaction came from the bit when they arrow went through the guy and he did his fonz like 'heeeey' lol

to be honest i didnt really dig quentin's scene. maybe i built it up in my head too much, and it WAS a great idea of his to get jackie boy to actually talk instead of doing the voice over, but it just seemed so out of place. he went for a more ironic kind of humour like in kill bill so it kinda stuck out but i thought it was too hammy compared to the rest of the movie where they had well violent gory humour but it still had that grittiness e.g. marv's interrogation techniques.

also why wasnt miho wearing roller blades? i hope they include the story where she does, skating across the rooftops until she is silently called upon to make her attacks, in the next movie coz itd be the coolest 

Tim
Hard Drinker

Post by Tim » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:45 am

roller blades arent as cool lol. Best film of the year.

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:17 pm

Breaking down the favoritism a little:

Best character: Marv
Acting wise along with character. "Not the killing part, but everything upto it's gonna be a real gas"

Best Story: That Yellow Bastard
I'm not into comics at all, it's just something I never got into. It seems the down point of the movie is they can't fit the entire background of each into a one of three part into a 2 hour movie, equalling the storylines don't seem as strong as they would in a comic. But with That Yellow bastard gives the background at the begining and carries it on. That for me makes it the best story.

Best Scene: Marv & Kevin Show down
That was awesome! Elijah really suprised me if I was listing scariest character he would definalty get it, without mentioning to much it was defintly a high point.

And overall I can't wait for the DVD releases, I read recently that Rodriguez filmed so much that they could not fit it all into the feature. An The perfect Sin City DVD's for me would be SEPERATE release's of each story... The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill, That Yellow Bastard all complete, delted scenes added equaling 3 feature lengh films, As I would like to see any future releases seperatly.

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:27 pm

I found a yarn from Sin City!!

Rats: A Sin City Yarn [2004]
An emaciated war criminal lives in filth as Death comes knocking on his door. From Frank Miller's Lost, Lonely, & Lethal comes a bone-chilling tale of revenge.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2655362

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:01 pm

I've been doing some research into Sin City and I LOVE it all the more... I wish I was a fan before the film was released, so for anyone who dislikes the movie, I advise you look at the mythology of the comics, as I said before the movie does not give enough...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_City
http://hem.passagen.se/fm4/sincity.html
http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptions ... ncity.html

Some comparions:
http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-c ... ncity.html

A few facts:
Director Robert Rodriguez can be seen wearing his trademark white cowboy hat in Kadie's bar as Hartigan enters when he's looking for Nancy.

The swords used by Miho (Devon Aoki) in this film are the same ones used by some of the Crazy 88 in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003). That film's director, Quentin Tarantino, had been keeping them in the back of his garage.

Cameo: [Quentin Tarantino] appears in the conclusion of "That Yellow Bastard" during the bar scene, sitting next to Marv as they watch Nancy dance. He is the special guest director.

When John Hartigan (Bruce Willis) comes into Kadie's Bar, Shellie (Brittany Murphy) is carrying a bottle of "Chango beer". This is the same fictional brand used in other Rodriguez movies including Desperado (1995) and From Dusk Till Dawn (1996).

I am now to collect the complete works of Sin City.

Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth
Fucking Professional

Post by Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:13 pm

Damn that's some cool trivia man. I had heard about the Hanzo swords, but never noticed QT's or R.R.'s cameos. I'll have to watch for 'em when it comes out on DVD.

savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Post by savage_henry » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:45 pm

yeah i saw robert rodriquez' cameo the second time round, you can see him in the mirror, walking past - took me out of the movie for a second though coz hes dressed normally (one of the few people id count as normal when wearing a cowboy hat)!

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:46 pm

haha fuck ive seen sin city 3 times now and just 5 minutes ago i read that quentin has a cameo, i didnt notice anything, is there a pic of it? dont feel like searching the thread

i did notice robert's cameo, the first time, without notice, its the hat that tipped me i think

Jot

Post by Jot » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 am

Hazzar! FINALLY it got released here ,and I saw it the other night, defintiley not what I was expecting but I thought it was great...my fave story was defintiley 'The Big fat kill'....so cool....

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:23 pm

That movie was awesume! Just saw it today, I'm a little confused on which story is which, is the Big Kill the one with Marv? If it is then thats my fav.

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:39 pm

No wait, I think I got it figured out,  ;) lol

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:02 pm

Maybe it was the huge expectation I had of it (come to think about it, I really didn't have a high expectation actually), but for some reason I fail to see this as the masterpiece almost everybody that went to see it hails it as. It really was brilliant and breathtaking but it made no other impact on me whatsoever. Also there were no really stand out moments and no shit scenes either, the whole film was on the same level and never moved (I guess that's an advantage as well as a disadvantage). The characters were cool, and the dialogue was great, but after watching it the first thing that came to my head was "That was not better than Revenge Of The Sith" I even told my friends this who went with me to watch Sin City and they agreed.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT