Robert Rodriguez

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Re: Robert Rodriguez

Post by Sebastian » Fri May 02, 2008 11:01 pm

looks like the neverland ranch, haha

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat May 03, 2008 1:01 am

Haha.  Dunno.  I think it looks like a Mexican castle.  It's nice.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

peppermint819
Cowardly Lion

Post by peppermint819 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 am

it look like a caslte very nice

Schatzi
Kiddo

Post by Schatzi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 am

:) Looks nice.

here you can see more (his studio): http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... s_creation

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:08 pm

Is that the same thing that's on the OUATIM featurette?
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

FoxForceFive
Real McCoy

Post by FoxForceFive » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Geoi wrote: Is that the same thing that's on the OUATIM featurette?
Yeah, at least its on the DVD I have anyway.  Really cool.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 am

I figured it was.  I couldn't get that screen to load.  How many times do you think Robert uses the word "Creative" in that featurette?

FoxForceFive
Real McCoy

Post by FoxForceFive » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 pm

- "creative, creative, creative, creative."

- "How many creatives is that!?"

- "A lot!"

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:20 am

LOL ;D

"I got Madonna's big Creative coming out of my left ear, and Toby the Jap, I don't know what coming out of my right"

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:47 am

I found this pic of Robert, and I couldn't help but think that it looks like his nose is a penis.  Like, a tiny penis pointing up... like the head is up at the bridge of his nose.  Yes, I'm high right now.

Yasmin

Post by Yasmin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Well... he is a bit of a penis now so it is accurate enough.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:53 am

Troublemaker Studios really is like a smaller Skywalker Ranch. Does it support other projects or is it just exclusive to Robert Rodriguez. It'd be cool if it branched out, like a Skywalker for independent movies.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:19 pm

depends if more companies settle down there in Texas. if Rodriguez has an entrepreneurial mind, then he might manage to pull off some movie industry growth there around his little studio....

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm

yeah I wouldn't let a bunch of squarely amateurs touch my expensive equipment if I were him.
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:26 am

BioBasterd wrote: yeah I wouldn't let a bunch of squarely amateurs touch my expensive equipment if I were him.
I'm not talking amateurs, I'm saying more independently minded filmmakers like say Jim Jarmusch.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to post this.  I found out a while ago that Robert no longer owns Troublemaker Studios because Elizabeth got the rights to it in the divorce.  It was her money that built it.  Which is why Planet Terror was produced by Rodriguez International Pictures instead of Troublemaker.  And as far as I know, she's not doing anything with it.

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Fri May 01, 2009 2:27 pm

Geoi wrote: Oh, I forgot to post this.  I found out a while ago that Robert no longer owns Troublemaker Studios because Elizabeth got the rights to it in the divorce.  It was her money that built it.  Which is why Planet Terror was produced by Rodriguez International Pictures instead of Troublemaker.  And as far as I know, she's not doing anything with it.
To RR:
That's rough buddy.
The Tunehunter. I love my nickname just becouse i have earned it.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm

VikingWithNoName wrote: To RR:
That's rough buddy.

Well he should have behaved himself.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Fri May 01, 2009 3:23 pm

yes exactly.  After all their years working together and getting dumped the way she did, she deserved to get that studio

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Fri May 01, 2009 3:53 pm

nublob wrote: yes exactly.  After all their years working together and getting dumped the way she did, she deserved to get that studio
You are probably right.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 pm

He's doing Shorts, Predators and Machete under Troublemaker Studios. I'm pretty sure Rodriguez International Pictures was something he did just for Grindhouse. The RIP logo was meant to reflect AIP (American International Pictures) who was known for releasing Grindhouse movies back in the day. But Planet Terror was still produced by Troublemaker as well.

He and his Ex-wife own Troublemaker together.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a preacher with no pulpit. Spewing a sermon that goes on and on and on."

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Fri May 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Dex wrote: He and his Ex-wife own Troublemaker together.
Even if they are not married any more douse not mean they can't get along.

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Fri May 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Geoi wrote: Oh, I forgot to post this.  I found out a while ago that Robert no longer owns Troublemaker Studios because Elizabeth got the rights to it in the divorce.  It was her money that built it.  Which is why Planet Terror was produced by Rodriguez International Pictures instead of Troublemaker.  And as far as I know, she's not doing anything with it.
Good for Elizabeth. She's a true pioneer behind Austin's film movement.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri May 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Really? Taking the Producer credit in your husband's movies doesn't really strike me as Pioneer material.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Dex wrote: He's doing Shorts, Predators and Machete under Troublemaker Studios. I'm pretty sure Rodriguez International Pictures was something he did just for Grindhouse. The RIP logo was meant to reflect AIP (American International Pictures) who was known for releasing Grindhouse movies back in the day. But Planet Terror was still produced by Troublemaker as well.

He and his Ex-wife own Troublemaker together.
The word around Austin is that she has the rights to it, not Robert, which was why Robert took a bigger hand in re-opening Austin Studios. 

My buddy's best friend's brother worked for Troublemaker for years, then it was shut down and Robert got him a job at Paramount in LA.  A couple of months after working for them, Paramount started laying people off, and he was one of them.  Now he's stuck in Cali working as a waiter and trying desperately to save enough money to come back home.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Well, if she does own full rights to the studio Robert's still the only one using it to actually produce movies.

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Dex wrote: Really? Taking the Producer credit in your husband's movies doesn't really strike me as Pioneer material.
Are you on glue? She hasn't just slapped her name on a few of her husband's movies. As an executive producer, she has actually had to work. She didn't become a founder of a movie studio overnight. A producer, like her, is responsilble for getting financial backing for the movies created at Troublemaker, hiring crew who help make the movies and arranges the distribution of them. And probably a hell of a lot more.

Did you think Robert Rodriguez just clicked his fingers along the years and magically put  out Desperado and Sin City?

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sat May 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Well, of course she didn't become a studio founder overnight. It took Robert a little time to become successful enough to pay for it.

As an executive producer she puts her name on a project and collects a pay check. That's what an executive producer does in film. As a producer on Robert's films she does the little things he he's too busy for. Robert's an established film maker so he gets most of his funding by pitching to the studio or he just gets offers directly from studios.

Maybe he's lying in interviews when he says things like "I've built up an amazing team over the years at Troublemaker..." but I don't think so as he's the one who spends his days working side by side with the people.

I'm not saying he's a one man crew but it's not accident that the only successful movies she's been attached to were made by him.

Cyd

Post by Cyd » Sat May 02, 2009 7:09 pm

You've a lot to learn.

Robert's ideas for movies are very limited, he couldn't do it alone, not matter what you choose to believe.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun May 03, 2009 2:00 am

Robert met Elizabeth when he was going to the UT film school. 
imdb wrote:Elizabeth Avellan was born in Caracas, Venezuela, where her grandfather, Gonzalo Veloz, pioneered commercial television. At thirteen, she moved to Houston with her family and later graduated from Rice University, where she had her first behind-the-scenes experience working as stage manager and prop master for several student productions. She moved to Austin in 1986 to work in the Office of the Executive Vice-President and Provost of the University of Texas, continuing her studies in film production, art, and architecture. There she meet Robert Rodriguez - cult filmmaker and her husband to be. Avellan worked as an animator on Rodriguez's award-winning 16mm film, Bedhead, which aired on PBS after gathering acclaim on the festival circuit. She and Robert co-founded Los Hooligans Productions when the two began work on El mariachi (1992) in 1991. Since then, Avellan has co-produced Robert Rodriguez's From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), Desperado (1995), The Faculty (1998), and upcoming Spy Kids (2001). Besides she developed several scripts and produced with Pamela Cederquist and Rana Joy Glickman, Real Stories of the Donut Men, a dark comedy written and directed by Beeaje Quick, which premiered at the South by Southwest Film Festival in March, 1997. Additionally, Avellan served as producers' rep. with Rana Joy Glickman for Love You Don't Touch Me, a romantic comedy premiered at the 1997 Sundance Film Festival.
I won't take any props away from Robert, cos I love the dude's work, but come on...  Like she didn't do any work???  Eff that!  Everything Robert did prior to this was obviously a joint effort.
Last edited by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz on Sun May 03, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.