Robert Rodriguez

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
Johny_Exhale

Re: Interview with Rodriguez

Post by Johny_Exhale » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:16 pm

"and I was like ‘Hey, I was thinking about doing a double feature, you should do one and I’ll do the other.’ And he was like ‘F*ck yeah! And we’ll put fake trailers in the middle of them for movies that don’t exist.’ (lots of laughter)."

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck thats SUCH a great idea hahaha damn i cant wait to see quentin make blaxpoitation and low budget horror/sci-fi trailers

porkfriedrice
Kiddo

Re: Robert Rodriguez

Post by porkfriedrice » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:24 pm

I think theyre getting other directors to make the trailers.

Im kinda on a Robert Rodriguez binge lately. I just read Rebel without a crew and watched all three of the Mariachi trilogy and liked them all. Especially Once Upon A Time In Mexico, I loved all the characters, they were great, the Mariachi, Sands, and Barillio.
It inspired me to start writing my own trilogy, right now im planning out the third, mines gonna be a gritty crime/action/thriller movie. As of now, the good is a vigilante after revenge, the bad is a wacked hitman, and the ugly is a serial killer. Other characters that will be tied in are a crime lord, crooked cop, junkie, undercover cop and grace digger.
When I'm out walking I strut my stuff yeah I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite I just might stop to check you out
let me go on like I blister in the sun
let me go on big hands I know your the one
body and beats I stain my sheets I don't even know why
my girlfriend she's at the end she is start

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:30 pm

porkfriedrice wrote: grace digger.
thats my dream job. did you mean grave digger?

porkfriedrice
Kiddo

Post by porkfriedrice » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:43 pm

ya sorry, im a really bad typer, i usually catch my mistakes though.
When I'm out walking I strut my stuff yeah I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite I just might stop to check you out
let me go on like I blister in the sun
let me go on big hands I know your the one
body and beats I stain my sheets I don't even know why
my girlfriend she's at the end she is start

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:40 am

Digital Troubadour Robert Rodriguez

Who doesn’t know who Robert Rodriguez is? Not just as a one-man studio â€â€

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:02 pm

Cool article, thx Ify.

Just one detail :

[quote="Ify"]
I took my photos back and he told me I was creative — and that I needed to learn to be technical. “You can learn how to be technical,Ââ€

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Sat May 20, 2006 2:20 pm

No soul in Sin City? I think it has plenty of soul. It is a creative powerhouse.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat May 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Angel wrote: No soul in Sin City? I think it has plenty of soul. It is a creative powerhouse.
Technically it's creativ. But no originality from the story, he just did an adaptation. I mean, RR hasn't recreate a creativ world in Sin City, he just adapted Miller creativity. The RR creativity is only technical, that's why I said somewhere I miss some soul.

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 am

cyber-lili wrote: Technically it's creativ. But no originality from the story, he just did an adaptation. I mean, RR hasn't recreate a creativ world in Sin City, he just adapted Miller creativity. The RR creativity is only technical, that's why I said somewhere I miss some soul.
I know you might not think this, but as a comic fan and a fan of Sin City, I would have cried and sent death threats to Rodriguez (or at least bitch about it on the internet lol) if he hadn't faithfully adapted it. And Rodriguez is one of my favourite directors. Miller wouldn't have let it go anyway unless he knew it could be faithfully adapted. And Rodriguez is one of my favourite directors.

Plus, may I point out that comics are still images and not everything in the film was necessarily in the comic book. A great deal of cool scenes in the comic book that involve motion have been brought to life in very creative ways.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Tue May 23, 2006 2:42 pm

I was a fan of the comics of Sin City a long time before watching the movie. So I was waiting for a cool for sure. I love Sin City, don't believe the contrary. RR did an amazing job, really stunning ! But all this idea about "soul" and everything can be good understand watching the QT sequence. This sequence has got "soul", it's different for the original comic scene but faithfully adapted in the same way. The RR work is only based on what was in the comics and he didn't say the contrary ! He recognized it himself. So I'm not saying something wrong. But yeah, pictures haven't got any movement and the movie brings the life he deserves but not enough in my opinion (because I'm a FAN of the comic)...

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 am

Yeah, okay, I guess. But I just think when RR was directing he was approaching it a different way to Tarantino in his segment. I still think RR injected a lot of his own style into it.

Jelle
Basterd

Post by Jelle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 am

Robert Rodriguez is a really good filmmaker and my favourite action director(If you can call him that, at least his Mariachi-trilogy are my favourite action-films topping John Woo's stuff and Die Hard.). I haven't seen his Spy Kids series yet as well as The Faculty and Shark Boy and Lava Girl and althoug I've tried to find Roadracers on dvd somewhere that didn't succeed either. Here a list of his movies I have seen.

1. From Dusk Till Dawn(A 9 in scale one-to-ten).
2. Once Upon a Time in Mexico(8)
3. Desperado(8)
4. Sin City
5. Four Rooms(and I mean his part, the best part of the film, the first two sucked and QT's was kind of ok.)
6. El Mariachi(7)

He has made a super-cool zombieflick, 3 great action films(one of them with nearly no budget at all), a really cool comicbookfilm and is now working on Grind House(which I hope(and think?) will be his best one yet.
We don't know his motivation, nor his love-affair. All we know is that he's a hired-assasin ready to kick some butt.

He's called:

The "BICYCLE GUY"

When justice is done, he goes on...

Nalliac
Kiddo

Post by Nalliac » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:03 pm

I honestly think Rodriguez is a little over rated.

*Hides*
To a cop the explanation's always simple. There's no mystery to the street, no arch criminal behind it all. If you find a body and you think his brother did it, you're gonna find out you're right.

Jelle
Basterd

Post by Jelle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:00 pm

No need to hide... Why!?(A little motivation would be allright ;))
We don't know his motivation, nor his love-affair. All we know is that he's a hired-assasin ready to kick some butt.

He's called:

The "BICYCLE GUY"

thecrazy88

Post by thecrazy88 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Hmm.. I have to say, I don't think he's overrated. He's not my fav director even tho he has made a couple of good movies.

Jelle: You should see The Faculty ;D Scared the shit out of me 4-5 years ago ;D Hehe, it isnt a bad movie.... :P

Jelle
Basterd

Post by Jelle » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:46 am

The Faculty is on my 'to see list' as well. Although I think Roadracers will be better.

He's called:

The "BICYCLE GUY"

Lucio Fulci

Post by Lucio Fulci » Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 am

Robert Rodriguez is a tremendous filmmaker, a guy who will make something positive out of something negative. There are very few action directors out there who are as ambitious and quick-witted as he is. But on the other hand, it seems like he is sort of leeching a bit from Quentin's popularity, I understand they're friends and all, but be honest. How many of you would watch Robert's movies if he wasen't associated with Quentin in any shape or form. I, myself would have hesitated to watch his movies, but when I first realized how close  he was to Quentin, I gave him a chance and watched most of his films. Now, I'm not implying that QT made him famous because Robert had already launched a soon to be prosperous career after El Mariachi  hit big on film festivals, but I would say QT made him more popular, he brought his name to the attention to all of his fans all over the world.

And recently Robert has been on a tear of creating all these other films that will probably be forgotten after they hit the shelves in video stores, like that GrindHouse flick "Machete" or the "Barbarella" movie (whatever that is). And those Spy Kids movies are just awful, he should leave the family films to DreamWorks and Disney, but hey, everyone loves money. Robert probably made them to get richer off of them, but there's nothing wrong with that. He should quit making so many projects before he tires out. QT on the other hand takes his time, because he wants his films to live forever, films that no one will ever forget, like Pulp, Kill Bill,and Reservoir Dogs. That's why he's the man.

Kiriyama

Post by Kiriyama » Thu May 31, 2007 5:24 am

Interesting.

Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Thu May 31, 2007 7:51 am

I liked Spy Kids one and two. Great for kids IMO.
"Im sorry!" - Stuntman Mike

Image Image

helu
Hard Drinker

Post by helu » Thu May 31, 2007 4:55 pm

I discovered Rodriquez completely apart from Tarantino. I saw an El Mariachi, Desperado two pack for 15 bucks at wallmart, and thought, "hey i've heard of Desperado" so I bought and loved em, then became obsessed with Once Upon a TIme in Mexico while it was being made, couldn't wait for it, then read Rebel without a Crew and have been a huge fan since.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:21 pm

helu wrote: I discovered Rodriquez completely apart from Tarantino. I saw an El Mariachi, Desperado two pack for 15 bucks at wallmart, and thought, "hey i've heard of Desperado" so I bought and loved em, then became obsessed with Once Upon a TIme in Mexico while it was being made, couldn't wait for it, then read Rebel without a Crew and have been a huge fan since.
You do know that Tarantino starred in Desperado? He also titled Rodriguez's third Mariachi film.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

helu
Hard Drinker

Post by helu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Yes I do know that.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 pm

I KNOW HOW WE CAN GET QT TO MAKE BASTARDS ASAP!!

We need to call Robert Rodriguez and get him to go to QTs house and tell him they should both make a "kickass war film". Knowing QT, he will drop his shit and get everything done and ready to go!

Problem solved! :D

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 pm

PutneySwope wrote: I KNOW HOW WE CAN GET QT TO MAKE BASTARDS ASAP!!

We need to call Robert Rodriguez and get him to go to QTs house and tell him they should both make a "kickass war film". Knowing QT, he will drop his shit and get everything done and ready to go!

LMAO!  :D  Hahaha, sounds like a plan!
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Pete
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks! Now we just need to get Bob over there!

Ify
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Ify » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Hahahahah  ;D

Pete
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:40 pm

We should write up a letter sign it and send it to Bob Roddy!

CMON KIDS!

(leads parade) 

:)

Lucio Fulci

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Lucio Fulci » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Stop flaming Robert, he's a great filmmaker.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 pm

I dont know if Id call him great. Hes alright. Im not really a fan of his.

Lucio Fulci

Robert Rodriguez

Post by Lucio Fulci » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 pm

He's barely tapping into his full potential as a director and writer. Sin City is but a taste of what to expect from Robert in the very immidiate future. His writing is getting better too, Planet Terror would have been great if it weren't for that missing reel.