DESPERADO

Everything about Robert Rodriguez and his movies (www.robert-rodriguez.info)
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

DESPERADO

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:40 pm

hi there. i love Desperado. QT's cameo rules.

hey did you know the idea for ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO came from Quentin?

check this out:

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub382 ... _3829.html

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Re: DESPERADO

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:14 pm

I just watched Desperado last night. Its a cool flick. QTs cameo is hilarious.

"...Its nice to know that you cross your i's and dot your t's..good work by the way....Hey its cool essay..."

I was surprised to read that Robert Rodriguez thinks shooting a film is "a drag". Thats strange. QT actually told RR to do a third Desperado and call it Once Upon a Time in Mexico, how cool is that? Shows what a strong influence he has.

It looks like all his films from now on will be on digital film. I can see what he means by comparing it to recordable CDs/DVDs and vinyl. Its true, why not take advantage of technology?

hollywood_hogan

Post by hollywood_hogan » Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:07 pm

I like Desperado alot.what I don't like is how the entire finale is cut for censorship reasons.I think that is the biggest weakness,the main confrontation never happens.

Taishakuten

Post by Taishakuten » Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:52 am

I thought the shoot out near the end where they're firing rockets out of their guitar cases was stupid...

jkybrown3278

Post by jkybrown3278 » Sun May 04, 2003 10:14 pm

One of my favorite movies.  QT's part is one of my favorite scenes, "..he's pissin' on the bar, on the phone.. on the bartender..."  that shit cracks me up.  

The cinemotography is one main reason why I fell in love with this film. It was very artfully done. Explosions, blood on a wall, a crowded street in a desert town were all made to look beautiful.

ordell_robbie

Post by ordell_robbie » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:23 am

the comparison to vinyl is incorrect, alot of serious music listeners prefer vinyl to CD/DVD, otherwise I agree with what he is saying.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:11 am

I love vinyl but there are positives and negatives to both the analog and digital format whether recording or listening.

Can't wait for ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO!

bullet_tooth_tony

Post by bullet_tooth_tony » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:11 pm

I was looking at this other post where people had already seen the screening for the unfinished Once Upon A Time In Mexico.  They all said that it was absolutely horrible, and that the only chance Rodriguez has in making a good movie is starting from scratch.  They might be full of shit, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the movie did turn out to be that bad.  Plus the fact that Enrique Eglasius has a role?  Pleeease.  Rodriguez is surely gonna lose whatever adult audience he has left.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:17 pm

I was looking at this other post where people had already seen the screening for the unfinished Once Upon A Time In Mexico.  They all said that it was absolutely horrible, and that the only chance Rodriguez has in making a good movie is starting from scratch.  They might be full of shit, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the movie did turn out to be that bad.  Plus the fact that Enrique Eglasius has a role?  Pleeease.  Rodriguez is surely gonna lose whatever adult audience he has left.
I like Depp & Dafoe - and the storyline - I think Rob will pull it off

Dead_Nigga_Storage

Post by Dead_Nigga_Storage » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:45 am

How big is QT's cameo in Desperado? Is it like blink-and-you'll-miss-em? Is it a one-liner? Or does he have a small part, like he did in Pulp or Dogs?

Cherry_Licker

Post by Cherry_Licker » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:55 am

he has about as much screen time as he does in Pulp Fiction.

Basically he's a Pick-Up guy who comes to a bar,along with some other Mexican, to do a drug deal or something.....QT tells a joke and then something funny happens (I won't reveal it, cause it's a great scene)

Then QT goes to this hidden backroom and they do a drug deal....during the deal El Mariachi, Antonio Banderas, comes in and there's a shootout...then in the back room...(spoiler ahead)....well in the backroom the drug dealers think El Mariachi is working with QT, so this one dealer kills QT (killed in a similar fashion of Reservoir Dogs)

It's a good movie though.

DEsperado is a revenge movie, one of the best action movies I think. The opening sequence is the best though....it's an excellent scene mixed with the sounds of Link Ray's "JACK THE RIPPER" song with Steve Buscemi's monologue. Awesome sequence.

Plus Salma Hayek is fucking hot....I wish they would've done a better sex scene with her.....I hate "lovey" sex scenes with all the dissolves and candle light....stupid and un realistic.
Last edited by Cherry_Licker on Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tha_WOLF

Post by Tha_WOLF » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:59 am

I agree that Salma is hot, actually she is my dream girl. I liked OUATIM, I thought that it was a wonderful tribute to Sergio Leone, and I liked how it was a big intertwineing story, and not just about Antonio Banderas. RR is so fucking cool, he showed scenes of a third film that was never made and in all actuality OUATIM is the fourth film.

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:51 am

I think the film is great fun. QT is great in his cameo.

I think the ending was a major let-down though.

BadMotherFucker

Post by BadMotherFucker » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:13 am

True. Hated the end. The fighting should get better and better as the movie progresses, and it does the opposite.

Puck

Post by Puck » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:41 am

True. Hated the end. The fighting should get better and better as the movie progresses, and it does the opposite.
Things went so downhill after the first hour of the movie, that I'm not sure I could have handled a major shoot out at the end between Bucho and El Mariachi.  By the time they finally confronted each other, I was ready for the damn thing to be over.  

Once Upon a Time in Mexico did a much better job at holding my attention and keeping me interested in the characters.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:18 pm

over here, they're promoting OUATIM quite wild.... could explode at the box office here as well.... what against a funny action flick that entertains you? nothing....

Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:57 am

I`ve always liked Desperado alot. I think you have to take it half seriously to enjoy it properly. If you`re looking for solid believable subject matter then guitar case cannons are most likely not gonna work for you. If however, you`re just looking for a good entertaining movie than Desperado is perfect. It`s got great action scenes, clever dialogue, a pretty girl,  even a pretty guy AND Quentin fucking Tarantino delivering a superb monologue (that you immediately wanna go tell someone else). What more I ask, do you want?

Talon

Post by Talon » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:56 am

I liked it, i would like to buy it on DVD, but i dont konw which one...should i get it with El Mariachi or what version.  

OUATIM is a devinate buy.  Depp rocked that flick.  

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:55 am

definitely get the 2-pack. El Mariachi is a must see for film fans, great extras.
i recommend the new double-pack, please use the links on tarantino.info if you want to buy it. i have the double pack myself, it's great

deliveryman

Post by deliveryman » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:42 pm

Once Upon A Time in Mexico is absolutely hilarious, and full of great lines.

My favorite is when Johnny Depp gives the 10 year kid a gun and says.

"Shoot him in the head!  Go ahead, smoke that fucker"
Ahh, that makes me laugh just thinking about it.
Last edited by deliveryman on Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:10 pm

I gave desperado a second chance and I really liked it. But I can't help but wonder if they shot a shootout at the end with Bucho because censoring that is pretty lame. Those Mpaa assholes always have to judge what we see!  >:(

Sidewinder
Real McCoy

Post by Sidewinder » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:39 pm

I liked Desperado. It didn't really do much for me, but the action kicked ass and Tarantino's scene was the best part of the movie. I still think From Dusk Till Dawn is Rodriguez's best movie by far.
Peace and longevity!

Griddleteam6

Post by Griddleteam6 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:35 am

I thaught that this movie was realy good it had alot of action and the plot was good except for them whole it was his brother thing i didnt like that

mr._orange

Post by mr._orange » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:45 pm

I liked the part where steve busimi is talkin bout the guy killin' every one in the bar to the bartender, but my fav is the tarantino part

festus_taint

Post by festus_taint » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:07 am

i'm not a big Desperado fan, I think it has potential out the ass but never really lived up to it.  I love Tarantino, and Buscemi, and like some of the Banderas parts but the movie never really picked up for me.  When it did you had the whole mexican guy shoting rockets out of guitar cases (the way they stand to brace the cases is fucking retarded), and laughing when they hit people.  I want to see El meriachi (is it an exact remake, or is it really a sequel?), and am very curious about OUATIM, even though I heard it sucked.
the only Rodriges movies I really likes were FDTD and The Faculty, maybe he's a good director but just not a good writer(I think those were the only two he didn't write, not sure),

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:33 am

El Mariachi is 10 times better than dEsperado. Nothing tops the shoot-out scene in the bar, but Mariachi does actually have a story.

I liked the way they edited it on tv when Banderas shoots Bucho-it shows him whipping the guns out of his sleeves and pointing them at Bucho, then the screen goes blank. that version is cooler, its more spaghetti-western like and leaves it up to the imagination

deliveryman

Post by deliveryman » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:07 am

If Desperado is Rodriguez's best movie, (I've only seen 2 of them: Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico) then I do NOT want to see any more of his films.

sven_F.

Post by sven_F. » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:51 am

I like Desperado just fine, only i'd look at it as a comedy, i don't think the film was ment to be very serious, just fun to watch, maybe misses a bit more story.

But Once upon a time in mexico is just plain stupid, Its like all those spy kids films hit rodriguezes head. No salma, quentin or buscemi to patch it up even. I'm suprised Tarantino let his friend show it, just embarased rodriguez.  :-/

stuck in the middle
Real McCoy

Post by stuck in the middle » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:11 am

i enjoyed OUATIM but for those who didnt remember that RR didnt want to do it. tarantino got him to do it. so it was forced more than being RR's own thing. maybe tarantino should have written the script...
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! You bastard!

sugar

Post by sugar » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:32 am

i loved Desperado. I thought it was great, haven't seen Once upon a time in Mexico yet, but i can't wait. Robert Rodriguez is a fantastic director i am amazed at how he made El Mariachi with only $7000, but QT is still better. It was a bit of a let down having him die in Desperado