The Dogs of Gore

I bought a back issue of the out of print magazine gorezone today. Not even realizing until i got home there was an article about reservoir dogs in it. I thought i post scans i made of it up here. If you like better full quality full size scans of just hit me up with your screen name in a pm. But these are readable.

Page 1

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pouybq&s=4

Page 2

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33p8ym1&s=4

Page 3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9rsgnb&s=4

Page 4

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=taspyt&s=4

coo. i’ll put those into The Archives. what’s the issue number of this,d o they have a website, etc?

its issue spring 1993 No. 26. they have a site gorezone.co.uk

One thing you notice is that even back then QT was showing how much of a big Grindhouse-Exploitation fan he was. Its not like he just overnight decided to do a Grindhouse flick. That stuff has been part of his movies from the beginning of his career. Its just he started out doing crime movies instead of another kind.

The funny thing is, with Death Proof he totally didnt do a crazy gory movie. Its so light when it comes to that stuff. When you think QT & Horror you’d expect the goriest, sickest horror movie ever made, but he didnt do it that way. Its interesting.

This just made me think of something QT said back in the Charlie Rose interview for Pulp in 1994. Remember when he was talking about DePalma’s Raising Cain and said that he thought it was like DePalma had done all those psychological thrillers and he thought that DePalma wanted to deconstruct what those movies are about. Thus being DePalma’s obvious attempt to NOT satisfy the audience?

Now if you put that on Death Proof, its almost like QT did the same exact thing. Of course he couldve made the most nasty, action filled horror film ever, but he purposely went the other way with it and didnt. Deconstructing what slashers are about instead of just doing Friday The 13th with a car. I think QT did with DP what DePalma did with Cain.

Thats why I think its QTs most experimental flick too. As we discussed in the DP topics. It wasnt made to be your standard horror movie. You could call it a “Tarantino Meditation on The Slasher Film”.

true words

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
One thing you notice is that even back then QT was showing how much of a big Grindhouse-Exploitation fan he was. Its not like he just overnight decided to do a Grindhouse flick. That stuff has been part of his movies from the beginning of his career. Its just he started out doing crime movies instead of another kind.

The funny thing is, with Death Proof he totally didnt do a crazy gory movie. Its so light when it comes to that stuff. When you think QT & Horror you’d expect the goriest, sickest horror movie ever made, but he didnt do it that way. Its interesting.

This just made me think of something QT said back in the Charlie Rose interview for Pulp in 1994. Remember when he was talking about DePalma’s Raising Cain and said that he thought it was like DePalma had done all those psychological thrillers and he thought that DePalma wanted to deconstruct what those movies are about. Thus being DePalma’s obvious attempt to NOT satisfy the audience?

Now if you put that on Death Proof, its almost like QT did the same exact thing. Of course he couldve made the most nasty, action filled horror film ever, but he purposely went the other way with it and didnt. Deconstructing what slashers are about instead of just doing Friday The 13th with a car. I think QT did with DP what DePalma did with Cain.

Thats why I think its QTs most experimental flick too. As we discussed in the DP topics. It wasnt made to be your standard horror movie. You could call it a “Tarantino Meditation on The Slasher Film”.
[/quote]

Great point. To be honest with you i don’t think i would be into Tarantino as much if i didn’t watch exploitation movies before. At the time i just knew them as b movies. After watching reservoir dogs I couldn’t believe it was made in the 90s, rather than in the 80s or 70s. The style of all his films are within the grindhouse feel in my opinion.