Definately Quentin’s worst

Talk dogs! The cult-gangster flick. Everything about Reservoir Dogs, when the KBILLY Supersounds of the 70s continue...
User avatar
Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Austria

Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:46 pm

After all these years and 5 other QT movies, it surprises me that QT fans and film fans in general still list Reservoir Dogs as their 2nd or Nr.1 favourite Tarantino movie.

Why „after all these years“?
There is a lot of young blood out there, many still in puberty, who dig Reservoir Dogs . Those immature individuals love Mr. Blonde, they think he’s supercool and badass. I think so too, but I can also dig Robert Forster as Max Cherry, usually immature puberty-riddled people don’t like him. This is just an example, overall Jackie Brown isn't as flashy as RD. So I thought, when young QT lovers grow up, they would mature and maybe prefer other QT movies over RD. But still, RD is a fan favourite.

Why „after 5 other movies“
DONT GET ME WRONG, I love the movie very much. Quentin’s worst is still freakin awesome, no doubt. But it IS his worst, imho. Is nostalgia partly responsible for the high praise? I’ve watchd it again recently and Quentin really improved on every level. Dialogue, story, characters, directing, cinematography, etc. etc. For me, Reservoir Dogs is but a glimpse of the genius that was yet to come.

This is a QT forum with many of his fans, so please tell me what makes you rate RD over the other QT masterpieces.

my order of favourite QT movies goes like this:

1. Kill Bill Vol.2 (Nr.1 fav. Movie of all time)
2. Kill Bill Vol.1 (Nr.2 fav. MoaT)
3. Jackie Brown (Nr. 7 fav. MoaT)
4. Death Proof EU cut(Nr. 8 fav. MoaT)
5. Pulp Fiction (Nr.9 fav. MoaT)
6. Reservoir Dogs (Nr. 26 fav. MoaT)
Last edited by Col. Crazy Kenneth on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Jjp

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Jjp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Death proof over pulp and reservoir dogs???????? The writing and directing is weaker here compared to his other films.

And the reason i rate it over his other films is because of this reason, yes Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown,  Kill Bill vol 1, 2 are "better" Films, but reservoir dogs just holds a special place with me. REservoir Dogs is my "favorite" but his best is pulp fiction. Plus i have stopped classifying films as 1-10 favorite films exc. for the reason that films are good in there own genre, to say my favorite film in this genre is much better, than saying for example dawn of the dead is better than clerks. Why? because i like horror better. it shouldn't be classified at all IMO, just like i am against AFI top 100 movies and all the other lists they are pointless, unless done in genres.
Last edited by Jjp on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
moussemaker
Basterd
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:45 pm
Location: germany

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by moussemaker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 pm

RD is my least favorite QT movie, too.  :-[

User avatar
Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Austria

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:56 pm

I'm glad you make a difference between "is good" and "I like" Jip, because so do I. Pulp Fiction is probably his best movie, but not my favourite.
Jjp wrote: ... but reservoir dogs just holds a special place with me.
there we go, that's called nostalgia.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Jjp

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Jjp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:58 pm

moussemaker wrote: RD is my least favorite QT movie, too.  :-[
Most women in general don't like Reservoir Dogs.

User avatar
Ify
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5485
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Ify » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:10 pm

Crazy_Hattori wrote: After all these years and 5 other QT movies,
Dude, QT has only made 5 films.

My order of greatness:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill
3. Jackie Brown
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Death Proof

(though they are all really close together).


My Favourites:

1. Death Proof
2. Kill Bill
3. Jackie Brown
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Reservoir Dogs
Last edited by Ify on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

User avatar
Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Austria

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm

Ify wrote: Dude, QT has only made 5 films
Kill Bill was 2 films and that´s a fact.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Inglorious_Bastard

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Inglorious_Bastard » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:50 pm

I don't know what Qt's worst is, but my least favorite is Death Proof. The reason why Reservoir Dogs is my second (although it is very close to first) favorite QT film is because it has the best dialog, IMO. Jackie Brown (QT's best) is my third favorite and Kill Bill is fourth. All though I love each of his films.

eastern_Beauty

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by eastern_Beauty » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:36 am

After watching Death Proof I think that it may be my favorite Tarantino movie but I have to re-watch it to be sure. Anyway there are....

My Favorites:

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Death Proof
3. Kill Bill Vol1
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Kill Bill Vol.2

*Haven't seen Jackie Brown yet :P

User avatar
Ify
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5485
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Ify » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:32 am

Crazy_Hattori wrote: Kill Bill was 2 films and that´s a fact.
A fact? Please elaborate.

Kill Bill was always one film. It was just broken up into two parts (volumes) and released seperately. If Volume 2 was it's own film, why does it have the credits of Volume 1 in there? When Volume 1 was released, reviewers such as Empire acknowledged that you can't really review Kill Bill until Volume 2 was out.
Image

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

User avatar
blue_lou_boyle
Basterd
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:31 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by blue_lou_boyle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:03 am

Dogs is my fave QT movie because i'm a huge fan of the heist genre and the dialogue is simply dynamite. I think it remains his best and while he has other movies that are more ambitious..ive never been more entertained....its my 2nd favourite movie of all time.

Havent seen Death Proof yet due to the fact that it aint released over here yet but i hope its an improvement on killbill vol 2. As i've said before upon rewatching it, it becomes boring and self indulgent in its last chapter...the dialogue really kind of sucked as well.

Jackie Brown is one of the most underrated films of the last ten years and is probably the qt film that i watch most often, its five star perfection. His best script is true romance though!!!!!!

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill Vol. 1
4. Jackie Brown
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2

(havent seen death proof yet)

User avatar
Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 am

Crazy_Hattori wrote:
there we go, that's called nostalgia.
not at all!  I agree with jjp.  I always have a weak spot for the film that made me discover a filmmaker that I happen to love. So yes, RD is also special for me and so is After Hours, which is the film I discovered Scorsese with or Shining, which is the film i discovered Kubrick with, etc.

User avatar
me
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3950
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 am
Location: US of freaking A

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by me » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:26 am

Well my least favorite is Jackie Brown of course.

User avatar
Knoxville Kingpin
Basterd
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:56 am

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Knoxville Kingpin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:08 am

"How many Dicks is that?"

"Alot"



Shit, if you can't dig RD's and give it the props it deserves and further more give DP high praise above even PF, the best film of all time BTW, you should put down the pipe, get closer to God, slam your wenis in a car door and shoot your TV Elvis style. I cant make it more clear, DP will NEVER be held in  as high regaurd as PF or even RD's! Nor was it meant too. Thats an insult to QT! End of subject, class dismissed
Last edited by Knoxville Kingpin on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Im sorry!" - Stuntman Mike

Image Image

User avatar
Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Austria

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:32 am

knoxville, i made a FAVOURITE list, not a "best of" list. PF may be better than DP, i think it is...and of course DP will never EVER be held in such high regards as PF, but that don´t mean i can´t like DP more than PF.

like i prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles over The Third Man, even though the latter is the way better movie.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

User avatar
Ify
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5485
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Ify » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:48 pm

me wrote: Well my least favorite is Jackie Brown of course.
Why "of course"?
Image

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

User avatar
Bad Max
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 pm

Ify wrote: Why "of course"?
Probably cause it's only 50% QT. I love it anyway.
Image
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

User avatar
Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:03 am

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Bad Max wrote: Probably cause it's only 50% QT. I love it anyway.
why 50%??

maindrianpace

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by maindrianpace » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:47 pm

How can you say Dogs is his worst film? To me all his films are on the same level simply because I dont look at them as better or worse, just different. Everytime I watch Dogs I see a great debut film filled with energy and excitement. Its a special movie and its a strong one. Worst film? Bullshit on that.

Is this still the QT Fan forum? I'm confused. ???

Inglorious_Bastard

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Inglorious_Bastard » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:59 pm

tonyanthony wrote: why 50%??
It was adapted from Elmore Leonard's novel.

eastern_Beauty

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by eastern_Beauty » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:02 pm

Jjp wrote: Most women in general don't like Reservoir Dogs.
I'm a woman
Eastern Beauty wrote: My Favorites:

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Death Proof
3. Kill Bill Vol1
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Kill Bill Vol.2

*Haven't seen Jackie Brown yet :P

User avatar
me
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3950
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 am
Location: US of freaking A

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by me » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Ify wrote: Why "of course"?
Bad Max wrote: Probably cause it's only 50% QT. I love it anyway.

User avatar
Ify
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5485
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Ify » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:38 pm

me wrote:
Oh man, that was your "get out of jail free card". I wish Max hadn't have said that, I'm curious as to whether you would have replied with the same comment.

Anyway, it may have been 50% QT in that the story, the characters and a bit of the dialogue were taken from the novel, but that's to be expected in an adaptation. The film is very much 100% QT. So in essence, you're saying that Elmore Leonard is shit? Because you have stated that reason for not liking the film. I happen to think Leonard has made Tarantino better. I don't see it in terms of that "50% QT" bullshit. In my eyes, it is superior to all his films in terms of characterisation. The atmosphere is also second to none. Furthermore, the dialogue is just fucking brilliant. A lot of stuff in there which is better than anything else he's written.
Image

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

User avatar
Bad Max
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Yeah, but it's Elmore's characters, he created them and probably half of the dialogue is Elmore's (Haven't read the book) and the plot is Elmores, Quentin brought the characters to the screen in a wonderful way, as much as I LOVE Jackie Brown, I'd rather have a 100% QT film than a adaptation or a remake.
Image
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

*G*
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2569
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by *G* » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Now with Max saying that, I would have to switch JB with PF!

1. Death Proof
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill (Both volumes as a whole)
5. Reservoir Dogs

User avatar
Bad Max
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 pm

It wasn't my intention to make you like it less. I'm sorry and will pray for your soul.  ;)
Image
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

*G*
Fucking Professional
Posts: 2569
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by *G* » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:00 pm

^ ha ha! Don't worry. Jackie Brown is like 2b instead of 2a now.

1. Death Proof
2a. Pulp Fiction
2b. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill
5. R Dogs

User avatar
Ify
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5485
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:51 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Ify » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Bad Max wrote: Yeah, but it's Elmore's characters, he created them and probably half of the dialogue is Elmore's (Haven't read the book) and the plot is Elmores, Quentin brought the characters to the screen in a wonderful way, as much as I LOVE Jackie Brown, I'd rather have a 100% QT film than a adaptation or a remake.
I wouldn't say half of the dialogue is his. I got my hands on Rum Punch, and flicked through most of it. I didn't recognise any of the dialogue from the film.

I already mentioned those points you highlighted. But to dislike a film solely because he based it on someone else's work is ridiculous. Why would you rather have a 100% QT film, if the film itself is a masterpiece? It makes no sense. I judge a film on quality not on who wrote the fucking plot. With your rationale, Pulp Fiction should also be at the bottom of the "QT's Best Film" list.

Furthermore, almost ALL of QT's work is taken from elsewhere. None of it is really 100% QT. Just look at Kill Bill. That logic you both seem to share is a bit silly.
GRINDHOUSE wrote: Now with Max saying that, I would have to switch JB with PF!

1. Death Proof
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill (Both volumes as a whole)
5. Reservoir Dogs
Oh man, I would never let anyone change how much I like a film. I decide on these things MYSELF  ;)
Image

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

User avatar
Bad Max
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Ify wrote: I wouldn't say half of the dialogue is his. I got my hands on Rum Punch, and flicked through most of it. I didn't recognise any of the dialogue from the film.

I already mentioned those points you highlighted. But to dislike a film solely because he based it on someone else's work is ridiculous. Why would you rather have a 100% QT film, if the film itself is a masterpiece? It makes no sense. I judge a film on quality not on who wrote the fucking plot. With your rationale, Pulp Fiction should also be at the bottom of the "QT's Best Film" list.

Furthermore, almost ALL of QT's work is taken from elsewhere. None of it is really 100% QT. Just look at Kill Bill. That logic you both seem to share is a bit silly.

Oh man, I would never let anyone change how much I like a film. I decide on these things MYSELF  ;)
There's a difference between references and adaptation. I didn't say I disliked Jackie Brown

His greatest:

1. Jackie Brown
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill
4. Death Proof
5 Reservoir Dogs

My Favorites

1. Death Proof
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Kill Bill
5. Jackie Brown

But I consider them all 10/10 or even !0/!0  :P the "!" stands of course for... AWESOMENESS.
Last edited by Bad Max on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

User avatar
Bad Max
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5385
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Definately Quentin’s worst

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Sometimes you scare me, Ify. sometimes I think if Quentin took a shit infront of you, you'd say "omg, that's genius, look at the beautiful lighting on it, Oh and the colors are awesome, the shape of it his pure gold. I love it" You'd probably take a picture and hang it over your bed. You won't let anybody have a different opinion about QT without "calling them out on their "Bullshit"" or whatever. You try to be so above everybody else,like everybody here is posers (Or poseurs) and you're the only true fan. You think you know him better than any of us here. Maybe you know more than some, but not all. I understand that you love QT but sometimes you even insult people for saying something like "I didn't like Uma wedding dress" or something. I'm not trying to start an argument I just think you need to chill. Start smoking weed, that might calm you down.

I apologize if I offended you.
Image
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest