Retrospect Review

Talk dogs! The cult-gangster flick. Everything about Reservoir Dogs, when the KBILLY Supersounds of the 70s continue...
Johny_Exhale

Re: Retrospect Review

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:26 pm

it never has or never will decrase my rating of the film, all I did was mention it, 'Dogs is God

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Johny|Exhale wrote: it never has or never will decrase my rating of the film, all I did was mention it, 'Dogs is God
I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the reviewer who gave it a B cause of these "flaws".

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:28 pm

who is the reviewer anyway? It's not Seb is it?

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:30 pm

And the last conclusion I drew now was, that I don’t like Tim Roth. I am not saying he is a bad actor, but he’s so miscast, and he is too fake. Not as fake as he was in Four Rooms, but he is overacting and his fake pseudo-american accent makes it even worse.
Tim Roth was perfect in Dogs and the fucking best thing in Four Rooms...

Who wrote this anyway?
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:30 pm

I dunno. He didn't give a reference from where he got the review, so it could be him.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:32 pm

I think the intention of this whole thing was right, I just think it wasn't properly executed.

It's not wrong to go back and review a film after 15 years and make light of your new opinions and thoughts. But review something in retrospect doesn't mean you have to start knit-picking. It also doesn't mean you can now get all that shit out of your system that you didn't have bollocks to say before. This is not an opportunity to make retarded criticisms.

You could instead talk about how Tarantino has adapted/improved/progressed his directorial vision and style today. You could discuss how trivial things have made their way into Kill Bill and CSI that were present in RD. You could talk about what RD meant for a future QT, or what it meant for the future of film. You could discuss what aspects QT hasn't explored from RD in his recent work. NOT shit like whether a guy stuttered and how it pissed you off, or how someone didn't light a cigarette. This whoe thing is pretty retarded.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:34 pm

i also noticed Orange didn't shine his shoes correctly, missed a spot, very annoying

wow, one reply of me got 20 useless ones, get over it and talk about the things you wanna talk about, the stage is all yours

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm actually lovin' this topic. It's been a while since we had a heated argument on QT films; it's a breath of freash air from the million stupid topics and posts like " omfg I'm listening to Britney Spears - Toxic right now!!!11"

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 pm

OMG!! that song is like so 2004!!!

Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Johny|Exhale wrote: i also noticed Orange didn't shine his shoes correctly, missed a spot, very annoying

wow, one reply of me got 20 useless ones, get over it and talk about the things you wanna talk about, the stage is all yours
Maybe your one usless post made way for 20 appropriate posts? Don't be like that Jonhy, you know we all love you  :-*
Scarface wrote: I'm actually lovin' this topic. It's been a while since we had a heated argument on QT films; it's a breath of freash air from the million stupid topics and posts like " omfg I'm listening to Britney Spears - Toxic right now!!!11"
hahahahahah

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Please retitle this: The Ultra-Retarded Nitpicking Topic. ;)

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:42 pm

Haha, w0rd.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

I am a fan, and everyone who's too ignorant to accept that people are allowed to criticise something they like is... well.... ignorant ;_)

At least I stimulated a discussion

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 pm

The Seb wrote: I am a fan, and everyone who's too ignorant to accept that people are allowed to criticise something they like is... well.... ignorant ;_)

At least I stimulated a discussion
Criticise it all you like, as long as you justify your opinions. You can't just say any old shit, you have to make valid criticisms.

Did you write that review?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:33 pm

what the hell is wrong with my review? of course I wrote that. can you tell me what in that review is so controversial?

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 pm

Seb, that was YOUR review? What I dont get is why you'd review it all this time later and start saying little negative things about it. I mean, whats the point? I still love the film the same way I loved it when I first saw it. Nothings changed for me (I was 18 when I first saw it in 1992 btw). Its a great debut/crime film from QT. Thats all I have to say.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:59 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: Seb, that was YOUR review? What I dont get is why you'd review it all this time later and start saying little negative things about it. I mean, whats the point? I still love the film the same way I loved it when I first saw it. Nothings changed for me (I was 18 when I first saw it in 1992 btw). Its a great debut/crime film from QT. Thats all I have to say.
Jesus Christ, you're 32 years old?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:14 pm

You sure know your mathematics Ify.  :D

Haha, told ya Seb wrote that piece. "it comes across quite clearly that this is basically an amateur movie",  "And the last conclusion I drew now was, that I don’t like Tim Roth. I am not saying he is a bad actor, but he’s so miscast". Seb dude, I think you're gonna get flamed all your online life for this shit. Why the hell do you have an Australian dvd anyway if you're German?

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:20 pm

The Pink Floyd wrote: Jesus Christ, you're 32 years old?
Yeah, so whats the problem with that?

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:21 pm

The Seb wrote: Finally I got to rewatch Tarantino’s debut flick on DVD this evening. I realized that my Australian DVD has very washed out colors, but aside from that it’s okay. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen this movie now, but this time I paid closer attention and I have come to these conclusions: There are many times in the movie where it comes across quite clearly that this is basically an amateur movie with lots of improvisation and low budget. About 90 percent of the movie are outstanding but there are a couple of moments where as a viewer I felt uncomfortable knowing what Tarantino and the actors do today and seeing what they’re doing on screen there, which is now over 15 years ago. My second conclusion is that the writing is outstanding. The screenplay unfolds the story in such a great fashion, it makes you grin. It’s just so original. And the last conclusion I drew now was, that I don’t like Tim Roth. I am not saying he is a bad actor, but he’s so miscast, and he is too fake. Not as fake as he was in Four Rooms, but he is overacting and his fake pseudo-american accent makes it even worse.
Nevertheless, Reservoir Dogs is one hell of a great film, a fantastic piece of independent cinema and of course highly quotable. B+

What are your viewpoints when you rewatch this classic today?
Problems are highlighted in red.
WinslowLeach wrote: Yeah, so whats the problem with that?
No problem, no problem, I just didn't know you were 32. I should have worked it out since you called me a "little kid" in another topic. I'm 19, btw. :P
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: Seb, that was YOUR review? What I dont get is why you'd review it all this time later and start saying little negative things about it. I mean, whats the point? I still love the film the same way I loved it when I first saw it. Nothings changed for me (I was 18 when I first saw it in 1992 btw). Its a great debut/crime film from QT. Thats all I have to say.
....so? what's YOUR point?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:59 pm

The Pink Floyd wrote: Problems are highlighted in red.
why "problems"? is it a "problem" if I don't like tim roth's acting in reservoir dogs? is it a "problem" if I give it a b+?

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm

I just dont understand why you chose to make a topic about Reservoir Dogs acting as if you're suddenly above the film that most of us all love the same now as we did then. I also dont get this thing about Tim Roth being miscast. Sorry, but thats just bullshit. Hes Mr Orange, theres only one Mr Orange and he was the guy. He rules in that part. Fuck second guessing and all that. You almost sound like that chick Tarantriguez.

I dont know what youre trying to prove with this. All it really did was make me scratch my head and say "what in the hell?" 

Whats next? You're going to call Pulp amateurish and say you didnt like Tim Roth as Pumpkin? Cmon dude.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: I just dont understand why you chose to make a topic about Reservoir Dogs acting as if you're suddenly above the film that most of us all love the same now as we did then.
I watched this film after at least 3 years of not watcthing it. I am simply posting a restrospective review. and reviews are opinions.
I also dont get this thing about Tim Roth being miscast. Sorry, but thats just bullshit.
no. that is MY opinion. get over it
Hes Mr Orange, theres only one Mr Orange and he was the guy. He rules in that part. Fuck second guessing and all that. You almost sound like that chick Tarantriguez.
and you're making an idiot out of yourself for not allowing others to have any opinion beside yours.
I dont know what youre trying to prove with this. All it really did was make me scratch my head and say "what in the hell?" 
I am not trying to prove ANYTHING. you are (well maybe not)
Whats next? You're going to call Pulp amateurish and say you didnt like Tim Roth as Pumpkin? Cmon dude.
maybe I will, just to see your reaction. that's gonna be loads of fun!

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:47 pm

Seb, I think you're the one whos being a jackass here. Its like you're just saying this stuff to cause some controversy after what? 14 years? Its ridiculous. The ironic thing is you're the owner of the Tarantino Archives. I mean, that just makes you look like even MORE of a goon.

I cant believe that you havent watched Dogs in 3 years. Ya gotta be kidding me. Ive watched it maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years. Will I change my opinion of the film next time I see it? NOT LIKELY. Will I change my opinion in 20 years? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:55 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: Seb, I think you're the one whos being a jackass here. Its like you're just saying this stuff to cause some controversy after what? 14 years? Its ridiculous. The ironic thing is you're the owner of the Tarantino Archives. I mean, that just makes you look like even MORE of a goon.
yeah maybe I am doing all this just to annoy you. and yeah the owner of the Tarantino Archives of course isn't allowed to say ANYTHING negative about Tarantino's movies. Right. Dude, we're not on Fox News!!
I cant believe that you havent watched Dogs in 3 years. Ya gotta be kidding me. Ive watched it maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years. Will I change my opinion of the film next time I see it? NOT LIKELY. Will I change my opinion in 20 years? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.
well, I have a life and also have a couple hundred other DVDs and I live in a country with hundreds of good movies a week on free-tv and i am also a very busy student. forgive me for not watching reservoir dogs every day ,-)

come on dude... just get over the fact that not everybody shares the opinion you want to impose on them. that's life.... deal with it. people have different opinions.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:01 pm

The Seb wrote: why "problems"? is it a "problem" if I don't like tim roth's acting in reservoir dogs? is it a "problem" if I give it a b+?
They are problems if you don't justify any of your criticisms.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:39 pm

i dont have to justify my opinion, that's why it's called opinion. i am not claiming anything that someone will repudiate, this isn't a college term paper.

so pete gives it an A+, do I ask him to justify and back up his arguments?

* this is basically an amateur movie with lots of improvisation and low budget: well, there's nothing wrong about that.
* there are a couple of moments where as a viewer I felt uncomfortable knowing what Tarantino and the actors do today and seeing what they’re doing on screen there, which is now over 15 years ago: Well, that's my impression
* ... Tim Roth. I am not saying he is a bad actor, but he’s so miscast, and he is too fake. Not as fake as he was in Four Rooms, but he is overacting and his fake pseudo-american accent makes it even worse: well, he has a fake pseudo-american accent and in my OPINION I think he's overacting...
* B+: that's MY rating. deal with it

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Seb, Dont try to seem as if you're better than Reservoir Dogs man. You're not. The film is just as good as its always been.

AND

Dont try to act as if YOU have a life and noone else does. Thats so freakin arrogant and lame. I dont watch Dogs every week, I simply said Ive watched 2 or 3 times in 3 years.

And please fuck off with your leftist politics man. You guys have your heads so far up your asses. You dont know shit about anything political dude. Dont act as if you do.

Dont start with the anti-Bush/USA stuff man. You're just going to piss me off even more.
Last edited by Toothpick_Vic_Vega on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:02 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: Seb, Dont try to seem as if you're better than Reservoir Dogs man. You're not. The film is just as good as its always been.
i didnt say i am better than reservoir dogs. shut the hell up now with your stupid allegations
And please fuck off with your leftist politics man. You guys have your heads so far up your asses. You dont know shit about anything political dude. Dont act as if you do.
hah! i'm gonna have a BA degree in political science in about a year. what about you? do you know shit about anything political besides watching fox news?
Dont start with the anti-Bush/USA stuff man. You're just going to piss me off even more.
i am not anti-usa. in fact i am going to study there for 10 months starting this august.  and i am having enormous fun pissing you off, i can tell you. you wouldn't believe how funny this is.