The ear scene

back in '92 the infamous ‘ear scene’ aroused lots of controversy.

today, nobody would really shake the shack anymore about scenes like that ( i wonder how many ears are cut off accidentially in saving private ryan :wink:

I personally think, the scene is totally funny - if you look over the fact that this human being is tortured.

there’s this totally awesome soundtrack, the off-action camera setting, and afterwards the total “pointe”:

madsen talking into the cut-off ear ‘can you hear me? hello’

I can’t wait to see the deleted scenes from the RD SE DVD, but I really think, not showing the cutting is the best thing tarantino could’ve done.

who’s seen the deleted scenes?

Yes, the ear scene! Its the most memorable sequence in the whole movie for me. Madsen dancing to Stuck In The Middle is great. The way QT pans the camera so we cant see whats happening definitely makes you use your imagination about whats going on. Like QT says “Thats the more disturbing shot”. Ive seen the other angles with the actual shots of Madsen cutting the ear off onscreen, its gory, but I think cinematically it lacks the psychological effect that the empty shot gives the audience. QT used more of a Hitchcock approach (not showing the actual gory details) and it definitely worked big time. I also loved the way he gave the whole creepiness of that scene a turn in the other direction right after it by having Mr Blonde talk into the ear. That shit was genius!

I agree with you both 100%. I was so amazed the first time. And then it didn’t stop there. He tried to set the dude on fire. Great filmmaking. Madsen plays one of the great Psychos.

I agree too!

The deleted scenes are funny but so fucking fake that they had to delete them - the FX on the fake ear were terrible.

The ear scene was cool,I first watched it with my girlfriend and she nearly threw up :-[

I thought it was funny but it would cave been a different story if he had actually shown the ear getting hacked off

I think the most fucked up yet slightly amusing shit i’ve ever seen are the reactions that the cop has while being tortured. When he starts yelling and turning his head back and forth, it just looked creepy. And then when his ear is cut off and he’s yelling in a sort of hollow voice, holy shesticles.

this scene is a classic. everytime i hear the words reservoir dogs, i’ll remember the ear scene. the first time i saw it, it seemed a little wrong, but now, when i watch it i’m amused. i just like how mr. blonde seems all casual and hang loose, and all of that builds up to this one scene where mr. blonde goes crazy insane with the cop. now i wanna see it again. ah, memories…

the ear scene? of course i remember it! i love that scene so much! everytime i watch res dogs i am anxious to see that part. i just heard that in europe a gang of people imitated QT’s movie and actually KILLED a guy likee that. ear cutting and all and then they did what the dogs didn’t do in the movie. they lit the guy on fire! its fuckin messed up. those guys are crazy!

The “ear” scene is actually a homage to the blackexploitation film “BLACK CAESAR” where this guy, in a barber shop, kills this guy then cuts off his ear with an old fashioned razor to take to this guy to prove he killed him.

Yea, that scene did remind me of Black Ceasar, but also, in Taxi Driver, at (I beleve) the first Belmore Cafateria scene, Travis is talking to the other cabbies, and he talks about “some sick fucker” who hacks a guys ear off. Both are possibal connections, we all know QT loves blaxplotation, and that Taxi Driver is one of his top 3 fav. movies.

i guess we can add that to the list of things to ask Tarantino.

Again, I’m new here…But i can’t believe how perfect this all is. I watch the Ear scene about three times a week man. It’s fuckin’ spectactular. The song, the camera angles erm… the Michael Madsen??? Pure fuckin Gold!

i just looooooooovve the way mr blonde talks, madson talks like that in real life too sometimes, really fucking mellow and soft, even when hes at its most pissed off moments, hes a psycho violent brutal motherfucker who receives joy out of torchering people with a mellow fuckin voice

irony

art

beauty

i dont know what the call it, but its fuckin great

i love that scene too. but i was wondering if anyone new if this was a refernce to django. cuz we all know how much QT loves spaghettii western and i just saw it this past year and it reminded me so much of RD anyone else?

[quote]i just looooooooovve the way mr blonde talks, madson talks like that in real life too sometimes, really fucking mellow and soft, even when hes at its most pissed off moments, hes a psycho violent brutal motherfucker who receives joy out of torchering people with a mellow fuckin voice

irony

art

beauty

i dont know what the call it, but its fuckin great[/quote]

Yeh he said something about his voice on that interview on the Reservoir Dogs Special Edition. I think he said it's a combination between smoking a lot and I think something about his voice box, and that he is starting to sound like his dad.

[quote]I think the most fucked up yet slightly amusing shit i’ve ever seen are the reactions that the cop has while being tortured. When he starts yelling and turning his head back and forth, it just looked creepy. And then when his ear is cut off and he’s yelling in a sort of hollow voice, holy shesticles.[/quote]I nearly pissed my pants just reading that. I totally would have been able to handle it if he didn’t have that DAMN duct tape over his mouth. If not for the fucking duct tape, I would not be moaning in discomfort right now. “Mmmmm! Mmmm! Nnnn! Hmmm!”

are you serious that scene was not hard to watch at all. if you cant handul that then your going to be missing out on alot of movies.

hard to watch? the ear scene?

haha get the fuck outta here

unless you’re 8 years old

It all depends on someone’s imagination.