Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Talk dogs! The cult-gangster flick. Everything about Reservoir Dogs, when the KBILLY Supersounds of the 70s continue...
Ronja
Real McCoy

Re: Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Post by Ronja » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Tristan wrote: mmm...at least it does make some sense at all ;D
Yea.. Youre right.. Ghost dogs is just plain idiotique..
:):):):):):):):)

Tristan
Basterd

Post by Tristan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I was comparing to Reservoir Dogs...
the Norway title sucks, but at least people kinda understand why it's called like that...
Kinda cute, kinda hot, kinda sexy and hysterically funny but not funny-looking signature which you could laugh at

Inglorious_Bastard

Post by Inglorious_Bastard » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:39 pm

The Ruthless? Wow, quite the name change.

Ronja
Real McCoy

Post by Ronja » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:07 pm

Tristan wrote: I was comparing to Reservoir Dogs...
the Norway title sucks, but at least people kinda understand why it's called like that...
Yea.. It kinda fits..

Mr.Purple
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mr.Purple » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:22 am

I remember a interview with Quentin. He sayed he saw some french name movie. And in it said
Au Reservoir. So he changed it to Reservoir Dogs, beacuse he liked it that way.

Ronja
Real McCoy

Post by Ronja » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 am

Mr.Purple wrote: I remember a interview with Quentin. He sayed he saw some french name movie. And in it said
Au Reservoir. So he changed it to Reservoir Dogs, beacuse he liked it that way.
Nope, He worked at a video store where they rented a movie called Au Revoir Les Infants or something, and he called it the resevoir film, and thats where the movie name comes from. I think :P

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Post by Bad Max » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:26 pm

you forget that he combined it with his favorite movie at that time: Straw Dogs, hence: Reservoir Dogs!
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

Ronja
Real McCoy

Post by Ronja » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Bad Max wrote: you forget that he combined it with his favorite movie at that time: Straw Dogs, hence: Reservoir Dogs!
I know, I was just explaining where resevoir came from.. :P

Cerpin Taxt
Cowardly Lion

Post by Cerpin Taxt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Reservoir means gas tank in French.
Barbarian: I thought you were a doctor!!! You're supposed to heal people!!!
Bruce Campbell: I am a doctor. And your stupiditiy was terminal. But, now you're healed.
-Paraphrased from Alien Apocalypse

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:46 pm

When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' as 'the reservoir film' because he couldn't pronounce the title. He combined this with 'Straw Dogs', a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title 'Reservoir Dogs'.

I think that theory is true. But then again, why would they put pam grier on the reservoir dogs 10th anv. dvd saying it comes from "Reservoir" meaning left over. Meaning they are like the toughest they are the left over dogs, they had to learn to fend for there selves exc.

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Post by Bad Max » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:03 pm

That was her interpretation of a Reservoir Dog, not the movie's title.
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 pm

After RD came out, Tarantino claimed that the title of his debut film came when his girlfriend said to him "I want to go see Louise Malle's Au Revoir Les Enfants' and he replied "I don't want to see no Reservoir Dogs". He later said to a friend "They're going to try and attach so much significance to the title of the movie when in fact it means jack shit. I made it up."

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

countmalachithrone

Post by countmalachithrone » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 pm

Yeah, I feel like there was never any solid reason for calling it Reservoir Dogs. He just picked it out of nowhere and everyone tried to make up some connections. It was a cool idea though and it certainly worked.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Yeah, QT loves that sort of stuff because it the very thing he himself used to do back with his Video Archives buddies. He knows how film geeks work because he is a film geek himself.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

countmalachithrone

Post by countmalachithrone » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I remember him also saying that when he made it up, he said to himself: I'd love to see a movie called Reservoir Dogs. Thats all there was to it. It wasnt some deep idea. He just chose two words for a cool name. Although to me it still does sound like a mix of French New Wave and Sam Peckinpah.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Pete (Back For More Fun) wrote: I remember him also saying that when he made it up, he said to himself: I'd love to see a movie called Reservoir Dogs. Thats all there was to it. It wasnt some deep idea. He just chose two words for a cool name. Although to me it still does sound like a mix of French New Wave and Sam Peckinpah.
Well given QT's cinephile mind, that aspect (French New Wave + Peckinpah) most probably played a part subconsciously.

By the way, I dig the idea of having films entitled with only two words. I hope he keeps this up throughout his career. It's easy on the tongue and manages to sound cool at the same time. However, like we discussed in the other topic, he may decide to lay this trademark to rest (or put a new spin on it, think: DP "Engine shot") and go with a title made up of a half sentence.

countmalachithrone

Post by countmalachithrone » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Yeah I like that too. RD, TR, PF, JB, KB, DP, IB. Who knows if he'll use three someday. Maybe.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Pete (Back For More Fun) wrote: Yeah I like that too. RD, TR, PF, JB, KB, DP, IB. Who knows if he'll use three someday. Maybe.

Well you could argue for Natural Born Killers, in which case you remove True Romance and only count the stuff he's directed. Grave Danger is another one. But then again Motherhood isn't. However, that probably wasn't down to him.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm sure he could make one with more ASAP

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:39 pm

what about my best friends birthday?

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Jjp wrote: what about my best friends birthday?
You can't count that because:

1) The last 15 minutes were completely destroyed and so it was never really a finished film.
2) The rest of the film got burned slightly after.
3) Upon advice from Scott Spiegel (I think), he decided to eliminate MBFB, and not tell anybody about it as it might have worked against him.

pia2mae
Cowardly Lion

Post by pia2mae » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 am

Resevoir Dogs is a very genuinely appalling movie.The earlier film's relative modesty, combined with its force, tautness and precision, suggests an underlying seriousness of purpose that its successor fritters away in adolescent self-indulgence; it is a far more impressive debut than the first films of Lynch or the Coens. Its distinction lies not only in its formal perfection (the intricately nonchronological narrative structure) and the single-minded rigour with which its thesis ("reservoir dogs" end up eating each other) is worked out, but in its very particular relation to the contemporary crisis of "masculinity." The threat to masculinity represented by feminism—the growing emancipation, independence, and activeness of women—has evoked a range of responses in the culture which are mirrored in the Hollywood cinema.

Lannybird
Cowardly Lion

Post by Lannybird » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I really don't like obscure meanings in movies. It's the cheap way out. Any knucklehead can muddy the waters and pretend that the meaning is profound. Really gives me a headache...

Groseboro23
Cowardly Lion

Post by Groseboro23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:01 am

Obscure meaning being a cheap way out? I disagree. The cheap way out is to give the audience exactly what they want and produce something that is mindless and mildly entertaining in the moment. I prefer a movie with replay value where you can actually find something new you hadn't noticed before during subsequent viewings . Or, perhaps have some "obscure" twist that you can actually ponder after the movie is over. Why pay to see a movie that only lasts for two hours when you can watch a movie that provides entertainment value long after it is over.

melindaregner
Cowardly Lion

Post by melindaregner » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Kill Phill wrote:becuz "Reservoir Cats" sounded too pussy
And why or how'd you end up with a title like that? :D

paulsvejda55
Cowardly Lion

Post by paulsvejda55 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 am

From IMDB.com
The title for the film came to Quentin Tarantino via a patron at the now-famous Video Archives. While working there, Tarantino would often recommend little-known titles to customers, and when he suggested Au revoir les enfants (1987), the patron mockingly replied, "I don't want to see no reservoir dogs!"
The title is never spoken in the film, however.