Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Talk dogs! The cult-gangster flick. Everything about Reservoir Dogs, when the KBILLY Supersounds of the 70s continue...
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Re: Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Post by Sebastian » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:33 am

Joe_Cabot wrote: When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' as 'the reservoir film' because he couldn't pronounce the title. He combined this with 'Straw Dogs', a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title 'Reservoir Dogs'.
please, everyone READ IT and remember it. then nobody needs to ask it all over again

elkie

Post by elkie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:15 am

okay, got it.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:36 pm

i saw a movie being displayed in a dvd store called trap dogs or something. it is about the same stuff as reservoir dogs, a bunch of guys plan a robbery and one guy gets injured really badlly, i might buy it.

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:26 pm

Reservoir Dogs is such a cool name. It's like those two great films have given birth to an even better film!
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

DangerMouse
Hard Drinker

Post by DangerMouse » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:10 am

ok ok ok, the REAL reason they call it RESERVOIR DOGS is because of this: The term RESERVOIR DOGS is a concept of these pack of junkyard dogs that roam around and take whatever they want. Thats why QT calls in RESERVOIR DOGS, because they are a pack of crazy dogs that take what they want.

THATS RIGHT MOTHAFUCKA!!
even def bitches say hi to me, she tell ehr blind bitch and she say "i gotta see"

CSquared

Post by CSquared » Tue May 03, 2005 3:58 am

If any of you actually own the DVD, Pam Grier tells you what a Reservoir Dog is.

kelso147

Post by kelso147 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:40 am

i dont know, this is stupid but i always thought that since ''resevoir'', means man made, then i thought that resevoir dogs meant a group called together buy a guy, and made into one group of ''dogs.''-not really dogs.

The Bride

Post by The Bride » Tue May 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Yeah the Pam Grier one sounds right to me...but that doesn't mean that's why QT picked the title...

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Ms.Blonde wrote: There was a famous french film called "Au revoir les enfants", but QT couldn't pronounce anything in French, so he called it "That reservoir movie".
its also one of QT's favourite movie's so he probabale took it from it.
Last edited by vadid on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And everything seemed to be going so well"

-Dwight McCARTHY

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:47 pm

Joe_Cabot wrote: When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' as 'the reservoir film' because he couldn't pronounce the title. He combined this with 'Straw Dogs', a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title 'Reservoir Dogs'.
that's how the title came about

-Dwight McCARTHY

Mrs.Blonde

Post by Mrs.Blonde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:54 pm

in Poland it's something like "Mad dogs" ("Wściekłe psy")... actually I like this title:)

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:09 pm

mad dogs hmm intersting

-Dwight McCARTHY

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:42 am

Have you ever noticed that many titles with the word "dog" or "dogs" are weird and make no sense? Reservoir Dogs, Dog Day Afternoon, Straw Dogs, Man Bites Dog. Real strange coincidence.

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:00 pm

Scarface wrote: Have you ever noticed that many titles with the word "dog" or "dogs" are weird and make no sense? Reservoir Dogs, Dog Day Afternoon, Straw Dogs, Man Bites Dog. Real strange coincidence.
maybe its something about the name

-Dwight McCARTHY

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:03 am

I wouldn't say they are weird, they are phrases.

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 pm

true and maybe it just a random thing

-Dwight McCARTHY

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Most of the "weird" movie names which include Dog are plays on phrases or things that do make sense. Like Man Bites Dog is just a play on the usual headline or story of a dog biting a man. Dog Day Afternoon makes sense to me too.

Vince Vega
Fucking Professional

Post by Vince Vega » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 pm

I think Man Bites Dog is some sort of dutch expression. We have a tv-show here that is called Man Bijt Hond (Man Bites Dog), not sure what it means, though.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:31 pm

In many societies Dogs are referred to as the lowest form of life.  Even in the Bible, there are countless references which call Gentiles dogs.  Shitty cars are referred to as dogs as well as ugly women.  This movie is basically comprised of bandits who apparently aren't very good at what they do...if they were then things wouldn't have gotten so fucked up.  I guess that's why they are the Reservoir Dogs - loose translation - a collection of shitty bandits - but I'm probably wrong.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:37 pm

They also use dogs to pick up stuff in rivers...or in a reservoir of water...

So Joe Cabot using the lowest dogs to get his diamonds...
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

The Gimp

Post by The Gimp » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:01 pm

i agree with the whole Au Revoir and Straw Dogs thing but i think it has a seperate meaning.  reservoir is somthing that holds somthing in theis case it's holding dogs (criminals)

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:16 am

pam grier says it on the behind the scene features that it means like the junk yard dogs and if u look up the word reservoir it has two differant meanings the second being left over meaning the left over dogs whitch goes back to pam grier saying that they are the roughest meaning they are the left over the ones no one carred about so they became living with the concept of survival of the fittest, there for they are "The Reservoir Dogs".
Last edited by Jjp on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph
Hard Drinker

Post by Joseph » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:58 am

When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' as 'the reservoir film' because he couldn't pronounce the title. He combined this with 'Straw Dogs', a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title 'Reservoir Dogs'.

oh well thats fucking clever.  He thought two movie titles sounded "cool" together and said ya know what...fuck relevance.  I'm just gonna call this bitch Reservoir Dogs.

I hope thats not the truth because thats fucking gay.
Last edited by Joseph on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 pm

its not the truth its only a rumor yea somehow he does that but he decides to go to pulp fiction and actually look the words up.

MrGong

Post by MrGong » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 pm

cos it's a damn cool name...

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Well Just watched the new reservoir dogs 15th anniversary DVD and on there it has thing that tells you facts about the movie while you watch it and it said that he does not like to tell people where he got the name from and the 'Au Reservoir Les Enfants' theory was mention so the truth is we will never know...

cousin z

Post by cousin z » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:42 pm

badass movie

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:17 am

Scarface wrote: Have you ever noticed that many titles with the word "dog" or "dogs" are weird and make no sense? Reservoir Dogs, Dog Day Afternoon, Straw Dogs, Man Bites Dog. Real strange coincidence.
and ghost dog, what on earth does that mean?

Ronja
Real McCoy

Post by Ronja » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:30 am

Toxic wrote: The title refers to a customer whom Tarantino served while working as a video shop assistant. When Tarantino suggested hiring a French film Au revoir les enfants (1987), the customer apparently replied, "I don't want no Reservoir Dogs!" The director decided this would be a good title for his script.

Was on IMDB, so I'll go with that.
Scarface wrote: The funny thing is that I'm pretty positive in Italy it's called "Le Iene", meaning "The Hyenas". I wonder how other countries translated the name "Reservoir Dogs".
In norway we say; the rutheless, or ''De nådelsløse'' in norweigan.. Its kinda goofy, I think.
:):):):):):):):)

Tristan
Basterd

Post by Tristan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:50 pm

mmm...at least it does make some sense at all ;D
Kinda cute, kinda hot, kinda sexy and hysterically funny but not funny-looking signature which you could laugh at