Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Talk dogs! The cult-gangster flick. Everything about Reservoir Dogs, when the KBILLY Supersounds of the 70s continue...
Toxic

Post by Toxic » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:35 am

See title.
Last edited by Toxic on Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O-Ren

Re: Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

Post by O-Ren » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:31 am

If you swim around in Sebastian's excellent website really hard.. I'm sure you can find the answer.

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:00 pm

Haha I almost clicked on that  :P

I think there was some French movie called Au Reservoir or something and...OK maybe I don't know what I'm talking about

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:21 pm

The theory Ive always believed is that RESERVOIR DOGS is a hybrid of The French New Wave film and  the 70s American Exploitation film. The "Reservoir" represents the French New Wave crime films and the "Dogs" is from Straw Dogs the violent Sam Peckinpah film.

But we'll never know for sure.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:50 pm

The theory Ive always believed is that RESERVOIR DOGS is a hybrid of The French New Wave film and  the 70s American Exploitation film. The "Reservoir" represents the French New Wave crime films and the "Dogs" is from Straw Dogs the violent Sam Peckinpah film.

But we'll never know for sure.
YOu got it Vic!  Give this man a prize.   That is straight from Tarantino's mouth

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:10 am

The title refers to a customer whom Tarantino served while working as a video shop assistant. When Tarantino suggested hiring a French film Au revoir les enfants (1987), the customer apparently replied, "I don't want no Reservoir Dogs!" The director decided this would be a good title for his script.

Was on IMDB, so I'll go with that.

Joe_Cabot

Post by Joe_Cabot » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:02 pm

When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' as 'the reservoir film' because he couldn't pronounce the title. He combined this with 'Straw Dogs', a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title 'Reservoir Dogs'.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:53 pm

The funny thing is that I'm pretty positive in Italy it's called "Le Iene", meaning "The Hyenas". I wonder how other countries translated the name "Reservoir Dogs".

CPS
Fucking Professional

Post by CPS » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:10 am

The funny thing is that I'm pretty positive in Italy it's called "Le Iene", meaning "The Hyenas". I wonder how other countries translated the name "Reservoir Dogs".
The german title is Wilde Hunde - wild dogs.
But to be honest, I never ever heart someone who used this name. Everyone said ResDog.
DREAM AS IF YOU`LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU`LL DIE TODAY
Scarface: Don't go all Sigmund Freud on my ass.

rpepper

Post by rpepper » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:33 am

But why did Tarantino call the movie Reservoir Dogs? There has to be some meaning.

I always found it interesting that he was originally supposed to be Mr. Pink, but he had to change to Mr. Brown once the movie had enough cash to hire a real actor.

Or that the "Like a Virgin" speech was originally written for Mr. Pink, then switched to Mr. Brown.

Or that it went at the same time that Joe was trying to figure out the Chinese name of Toby from his black book.

Or that Mr. Brown said the word 'd!ck' so many times that it prompted another member of the octet to say 'How many dncks is that?'

Or that, if you count, that was eight d!cks.

Or that, Mr. Brown's explanation of 'Like a Virgin' was so off. It's about a girl that has had so much sex that now she feels pain because this guy is so good? Madonna herself has said it's about love, about a girl that is experiencing sex on the emotional level for the first time. It doesn't matter that her pnssy has been penetrated, she's like a virgin because she's never experienced emotional sex.

Or that, as soon as Mr. Brown finished his explanation of "LaV", Joe realized Toby's name. "Wong" he shouted.

Or that, Mr. White cared so much for Mr. Orange. You'd think after all the jobs he has pulled, he wouldn't feel this way anymore. What did Mr. Orange do that caused Mr White to feel so much pain. And why was Mr White, probably the most experienced of the group, given the color White? A color that is ususally 'shiny and new'?

Or that a reservoir is generally a man made body of water that has been damed up. I've even head the term, a reservoir of emotion.

Or that cats are sometimes referred to as pnssy cats. And a dog is the opposite of a cat.

Anyway, when I figure all this stuff out, maybe I'll get around to figuring what the title means.

johnny_destiny
Kiddo

Post by johnny_destiny » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:35 pm

i heard that thing about it being about the french new wave crime films and straw dogs, but QT also said it might have something to do with the fact that there is a rat in the house and that a rat is kind of like a reservoir dog.

you dig?
break out the beeper number, nigga

savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Post by savage_henry » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:37 am

yeah i had always heard and read 'reservoir dog' was slang for 'rat' and that relates to the movie too, obviously.

Kool_and_the_gang

Post by Kool_and_the_gang » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:30 am

There are actually multiple reasons why.....not just one, all of which have been mentioned here.

Anarandil

Post by Anarandil » Wed May 26, 2004 12:44 pm

In Sweden the movie is called "De hänsynslösa" which means "The Reckless" or something like that ...

Dutchess

Post by Dutchess » Wed May 26, 2004 12:51 pm

Here in Holland it wasn't translated at all. It was just called Reservoir Dogs. Guess no-one here in Holland wondered what it meant anyway.

Anarandil

Post by Anarandil » Wed May 26, 2004 1:37 pm

I think that it shouldn't be translated, like in Holland, because the title doesn't mean anything.

Ms.Blonde

Post by Ms.Blonde » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:03 pm

There was a famous french film called "Au revoir les enfants", but QT couldn't pronounce anything in French, so he called it "That reservoir movie". Reservoir Dogs is a lot like a film called Straw Dogs (according to my mother). So, he combined the two. At least, that's the most prominant theory.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:59 pm

yeh, I think it involved his days at Video Archives in which he would call it the "reservoir movie" to the customers, something like that anyway...

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:42 pm

The guys in the movie are given the mission to get something for their boss...

like dogs who have to retrieve something for their owner, when he throws something in the water...they jump in the water and get it...reservoir dogs

But like IMDB says, he probably liked the mix up....joked around with his buddies in the video store about it and so it kinda becomes a reference to those days...like he put other references in his movies to his collegeus/buddies at the video store...

plus it kinda fits the discription of what the guys need to do: get something for their boss...
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Miss_White
Basterd

Post by Miss_White » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:12 am

Scarface is on strike wrote: The funny thing is that I'm pretty positive in Italy it's called "Le Iene", meaning "The Hyenas". I wonder how other countries translated the name "Reservoir Dogs".
yeah I don't like how they changed the title!

Miss_White
Basterd

Post by Miss_White » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 am

Miss_White wrote:
Scarface is on strike wrote: The funny thing is that I'm pretty positive in Italy it's called "Le Iene", meaning "The Hyenas". I wonder how other countries translated the name "Reservoir Dogs".
yeah I don't like how they changed the title!
Ii Italy I mean

Bleeding Orange

Post by Bleeding Orange » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:55 pm

In any case, the title works.  The first time I heard it I pictured mangy mutts scavenging around in a muddy, forgotten reservoir.  An evocative image for a crime film about lowlifes.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:03 pm

Ms.Blonde wrote: There was a famous french film called "Au revoir les enfants", but QT couldn't pronounce anything in French, so he called it "That reservoir movie". Reservoir Dogs is a lot like a film called Straw Dogs (according to my mother). So, he combined the two. At least, that's the most prominant theory.
the only official one and the only true explanation

guiltygenius
Kiddo

Post by guiltygenius » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:58 pm

rpepper wrote:
'Or that Mr. Brown said the word 'd!ck' so many times that it prompted another member of the octet to say 'How many dncks is that?'

Or that, if you count, that was eight d!cks."

Actually, it was nine.  Damn you!  I had to count since you said that.

Big Mans Wife

Post by Big Mans Wife » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:55 pm

In Argentina it was called "Perros de la calle", which means something like "stray dogs"... not too far off, but I'd rather have them in their original title/version

The Shepherd
Real McCoy

Post by The Shepherd » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:02 am

Ms.Blonde wrote: There was a famous french film called "Au revoir les enfants", but QT couldn't pronounce anything in French, so he called it "That reservoir movie". Reservoir Dogs is a lot like a film called Straw Dogs (according to my mother). So, he combined the two. At least, that's the most prominant theory.
yes, this does seem like the true answer, but i don't get the Straw Dogs connection.
Straw Dogs isn't really like Reservoir Dogs at all... :-\

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:19 am

Yeah, they're not really similiar at all. I think Straw Dogs was just a favorite of Quentin's and so he combined the two words to form the name Reservoir Dogs

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:12 pm

IL_Buono wrote: Yeah, they're not really similiar at all. I think Straw Dogs was just a favorite of Quentin's and so he combined the two words to form the name Reservoir Dogs
do you assume that, or have you read that? i dont think straw dogs had a connection to the title here ...

Darth Tarantino

Post by Darth Tarantino » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:55 pm

i belive it is the french title thing.  i heard in an interview somewhere that that is where he got the title and it has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but i can't remember exactly when or where it was

Kill Phill

Post by Kill Phill » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:45 am

becuz "Reservoir Cats" sounded too pussy