Has anyone ever seen this before?

I was on Utube and ran acroos this today…what do you think of this? Did he rip this off and make RD? Is it plajiarism? Or is it just a huge coincidence? Or just a cliche plot and story line? I don’t know, I’m sure there has to be a lot of old mob movies that are as silimilar or other movies. I know QT say that you see a lot of his stuff in other movies, but I was just wondering what all of you think about the comprison between the two movies.

Who Do You Think You're Fooling? - YouTube

I thought this was interesting.

If you have never heard that Reservoir Dogs was pretty much a ripoff of City on Fire, don’t know where you’re leaving or you’re probably young and haven’t read enough about Tarantino. But yeah, I’ve seen them both and I can tell you that a lof of stuff are in Ringo Lam movie, even if Reservoir Dogs is much better. Tarantino stole a lot of ideas and the general plot. Apart from that, the whole construction, editing is very different in City on Fire. Watch it if you can, you’ll get an idea.

Wow, I’ve read of this thing a lot in a whole bunch of his biographies, never got to see it till now though. Never seen the Ringo movie either. Interesting. I gotta admit it bothers me a little. Reservoir Dogs is still an amazing movie and one of my favorites but I got a weird feeling seeing that. I don’t know what it is.

Thanks for posting.

When I saw City on Fire, believe it, I started to think that Tarantino is just a hack, a thief and has no originality except that he can mix up mediocre things into a great results. But just like a DJ would do to compose a new track. To be even more honest, since that day I’m less admirative of his work. Cause the more you know about his references, the more I can that I could do the same if I had as much culture and cinema knowledge, ahah well not as good but that that kind of style could be achieved in a way. So if you still have a pure image of Tarantino, never watch this movie not to be disappointed.

I didn’t even watch this YouTube video, I don’t want to see the similarities again.

Boy where did they find these actors for the asian film? They are soooo utterly bad!

About those references, it does look a lot like QT remade that movie into a better one, but I really couldn’t care less and I’m not saying that because I’m a fan of QT. I would say the same for every film maker (except the ones I really hate, that would give me another argument to bitch about them!). It’s no big deal really, and I’m pretty sure we could do the same work with lots of famous films. The original asian movie seems to suck so bad, people should actually be grateful to QT for making a kickass movie inspired by it!

Actually it’s not a bad movie. There are some problems but I kept a good memory of the movie.

I’ve seen City on Fire. I even own it.

There are a number of things that Reservoir Dogs has in common with the film. The subject, some key set pieces.

But there is one good reason why I think all comparisons between the films are irrelevant. And why it really doesn’t hinder my enjoyment of Dogs.

The two things that are praised most about Reservoir Dogs, and the two reasons why Dogs made such a splash, is the dialogue and the structure.

Neither of them are present in City on Fire.

In my mind, it’s no different to Sergio Leone remaking Yojimbo as Fistful of Dollars. In fact, Dogs probably has less in common with City on Fire than Fistful of Dollars has with Yojimbo.

Structure, dialogues, editing, lots of cool details about pop culture (though there was already a poster of Madonna in the movie at a key scene, which might have been seen by Tarantino and inspired him for the Madonna speach) are of course original. But still, you would call it a plagiat in any other context with any other director.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Structure, dialogues, editing, lots of cool details about pop culture (though there was already a poster of Madonna in the movie at a key scene, which might have been seen by Tarantino and inspired him for the Madonna speach) are of course original. But still, you would call it a plagiat in any other context with any other director.[/quote]

I would if it was his only film. But there is definitely a signature style to Tarantino’s oeuvre and the final product of Dogs has come to be representative of his style.

No one was really like, “oh wow! The very idea of that routine diamond heist was masterful!” All that Lam, in a way, contributes to the film is not particularly unique. City on Fire is very much a Hong Kong action film. And, as such, action takes the spotlight.

In a sense, Dogs is just an alternate ending to City on Fire. Most of the plagiarised scenes occur in flashbacks. The pivotal moments of the film, the real-time warehouse scenes, are original.

[quote=“Angel”]
City on Fire is very much a Hong Kong action film. And, as such, action takes the spotlight.
[/quote]

This is very true. That’s the main difference. Lam uses this background plot for action and Tarantino for dialogues and pauses. But in a way, it’s Tarantino talent !