When arlene's face gets squished by a tire

. . . when we were in high school, once a year an assembly would be called and the entire school would file into the gymnasium to hear a lecture on the perils of drinking and driving. these presentations would often involve a speech from a police officer and a 16mm screening of an anti-drinking and driving propaganda documentary that would show some explicit car accident carnage. this was where we learned of the “jaws of life,” a device used to extricate mangled accident victims from car wreckage. one show in particular had a very cool title called “mechanized death.” HOWEVER, none of the propaganda they showed in school compared to the accident scene tarantino directed in death proof where stuntman mike abruptly slams into the chicks car out of the blue. the slaughter is unbelievable. a leg gets severed and it goes flying out the window up into the air and–KERPLUNK!!!–it hits the pavement. now, we’ve seen the severed leg gag before of course in jaws. but never in my thirty-plus years of watching cinema have I EVER seen a woman get her face crunched by a tire. and tarantino rendered it so exquisitely: we seen arlene’s head get pushed back by the force of the tire and it looks like her neck is snapping when the tire takes her face out. and here’s the beauty of the scene–it ain’t no accident and stuntman mike ain’t drunk, HE DOESN’T EVEN DRINK!!!

Actually Stuntman Mike DOES drink, that whole teetotaler act was so he wouldnt be found at fault when he crashed into the girls. Remember at the end of the film he pulls out a bottle of bourbon and chugs it after he gets shot.

I think that crash sequence is awesome. Especially the instant replay aspect QT added. Its like the ultimate drunk driving crash reneactment video.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Actually Stuntman Mike DOES drink, that whole teetotaler act was so he wouldnt be found at fault when he crashed into the girls. Remember at the end of the film he pulls out a bottle of bourbon and chugs it after he gets shot.

I think that crash sequence is awesome. Especially the instant replay aspect QT added. Its like the ultimate drunk driving crash reneactment video.
[/quote]

. . . that’s quite true, he DOES pound booze at the end . . .

Yeah, You see what happens when you drink and drive?

[quote=“PutneySwope”]

[/quote]

that was probably the best scene in the film - and very nice photography to say the least.

Was it just me or does she scream when the tire plunges into her face and rips her pretty face in half. I always rewind and I hear a faint “ahhhhhh”! And the scene really had that Jackie Brown thing going on where QT shifts to all the different POVs as in the exchange sequence.

BTW, awesome avatar Kilgore.

I think that big scream is supposed to be Mike as the car is launched into the air, thats the pre-recorded Wilhelm Scream that shows up in all kinds of movies throughout cinema history. But there may be some other muffled screams too.

The Wilhelm Scream Compilation - YouTube

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I think that big scream is supposed to be Mike as the car is launched into the air, thats the pre-recorded Wilhelm Scream that shows up in all kinds of movies throughout cinema history. But there may be some other muffled screams too.

The Wilhelm Scream Compilation - YouTube
[/quote]

how in the fuck do you know all of this shit? I’m really amazed. I mean it.

I am too. :shock:

what i love about arlene’s death is the irony quentin plays with it.

if you recall back, during that bit when she rocks out to Joe Tex track (that ass wriggling by the jukebox) listen to the lyrics she mimes to… ironic when u watch it after the first viewing knowing her grizzly outcome.

“people i’ve been misled and i’ve been afraid. i’ve been hit in the head and left for dead. i’ve been abused.”

It’s the attention to detail I think puts QT where he is

[quote=“Bej5”]
what i love about arlene’s death is the irony quentin plays with it.

if you recall back, during that bit when she rocks out to Joe Tex track (that ass wriggling by the jukebox) listen to the lyrics she mimes to… ironic when u watch it after the first viewing knowing her grizzly outcome.

“people i’ve been misled and i’ve been afraid. i’ve been hit in the head and left for dead. i’ve been abused.”

It’s the attention to detail I think puts QT where he is
[/quote]

Irony and details… his movies are full of it. And the crash scene is perfect,Now, every time I’m driving and listening to “hold tight” I certify that there is no death proof car trying to overcome me.