Car chase

It must really scary when you’re hangin’ off the bonnet of a car and then, out of nowhere, some psycho rams up your arse and procedes to chase you like a psycho. Now, I’ve never been in this kind of situation myself, but I always thought that the way to solve this problem would be to have your friend stop the car then, really quickly, jump back in the car and speed off.

Why does Kim continue to drive and let her friend dangle for dear life off the bonnet of the car? Its like when people are running from trains in movies and they keep running forward when all they need to do is run to the right or the left.

The most obvious answer is that its “only a movie” and looks really cool but I thought that someone could come up with a more creative explanation.

Kim couldn’t have just braked all of a sudden. The laws of physics tell me that Zoe would have been spit from the bonnet onto the asphalt at 100 miles an hour. I don’t think gradually slowing down was an option either as Mike was on their ass all the time.

Yeah, but there are times in the chase when Mike is next to their car and not behind them so she could have slowed down gradually at this point. I don’t think they had much to be afraid of anyway if Mike did confront them - he’s kinda old n out of shape. There are three of them, including a stuntwoman and another with a gun. As shown at the end of the movie, they’re capable of handling themselves. Plus - Zoe’s a cat.

He could have run them down… that would have made an awesome scene… i can just imagine the girls running from mikes car as it approaches really fast but seems to take forever, the girls are running and several items of there clothing have disappeared… mike laughing… the cars coming… then one of them twists an ankle…

The VERY FIRST thought I had while this scene started was, “JUST STOP AND LET HER IN!” Wouldn’t be such a cool scene though, if that’d happened.

The other thought that bugs the shit outta me is how the girls explain this demolished Charger to Jasper, and also how they get out of going to jail for the murder of Mike, what with so many witnesses around.

But…

It’s a film… Innit?

That’s what makes films so much better than reality. You can watch really bad shit happen to people, and be completely guilt and worry free.

[quote=“Snake Eyes”]
He could have run them down… that would have made an awesome scene… i can just imagine the girls running from mikes car as it approaches really fast but seems to take forever, the girls are running and several items of there clothing have disappeared… mike laughing… the cars coming… then one of them twists an ankle…
[/quote]

Shit, that’d been exploitation to the max! Haha. I wouldn’t mind seeing them die. Well, cept for Zoe. I love that chick. She rocks!

I would have run all over them annoying bitches. The strapped to the hood scene has always bothered me. It would have been so easy to stop. I wish they would have went to just test drive the hell out of the car, Let Mike make them wreck the shit out of it, killing everyone but Zoe who then takes revenge on mike by fucking his skull with her boot. But… oh well

Wow, it seems a few of you have forgotten what a Quentin Tarantino film is. Oh dear.

[quote=“Ify”]
Wow, it seems a few of you have forgotten what a Quentin Tarantino film is. Oh dear.
[/quote]

No, not forgotten, I’m aware of the movie universe, or the Q-niverse. Is that what you’re talking about Ify?

It’s a film! It’s a Quentin’s film!Relax and enjoy…

When i first went to see Deathproof… since i had heard that it was a slasher i imagined that there would be a scene where he runs someone down or a scene similar to the death of Maggie in escape from new york… i wasnt disappointed that there wernt any silly scenes like the one i mentioned before… but i was surprised since it was a grindhouse/ slasher… i find it strange that its apart of the Realer Than Real World…

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]
It must really scary when you’re hangin’ off the bonnet of a car and then, out of nowhere, some psycho rams up your arse and procedes to chase you like a psycho. Now, I’ve never been in this kind of situation myself, but I always thought that the way to solve this problem would be to have your friend stop the car then, really quickly, jump back in the car and speed off.

Why does Kim continue to drive and let her friend dangle for dear life off the bonnet of the car? Its like when people are running from trains in movies and they keep running forward when all they need to do is run to the right or the left.

The most obvious answer is that its “only a movie” and looks really cool but I thought that someone could come up with a more creative explanation.
[/quote]

Well if Kim stops to do just that, Stuntman Mike will eventually catch up to them and ram them off at 120 mph. And if that happens everyone dies…I mean seriously 120 mph…Abernathy would probably be ejected through the windshield; Kim and Zoe’s neck would snap right off.

It’s common sense.

Nah, I don’t buy that. There are a few legitimate points in the chase where it would be possible for them to stop. For instance when Mike gets cut off the road by another car driving in the opposite direction and when he rams the girls and they do a 180 in the road. But…

[quote=“Ify”]
it seems a few of you have forgotten what a Quentin Tarantino film is. [/quote]

in Tarantino films reality and common sense go out the window and what matters is what looks cool and aids the plot. So personally, I think its possible for the girls to stop the car however it would totally fuck up the movie.

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]

[/quote]

Kim panicked. She’s used to doing setup stunts on closed courses, not avoiding a psycho while there’s someone on her hood. I DO worrrrrry about happened at the farm with Jasper when they took more than 20 minutes to get back.

zoe bell: Brilliant Stuntwoman - Shit actress

Zoe was perfect for this part–not shit! and a crying shame that she had such a small cameo on Lost–

well QT wrote the part for her…

Zoe was better than Mary Elizabeth in this movie.

[quote=“Geoi”]
Zoe was better than Mary Elizabeth in this movie.
[/quote]

I though Mary Elizabeth’s character was kinda pointless. I mean I felt like she was there to aid the storyline but there wasn’t really any depth to her character.

I heard on the Deathproof bonus material that Quentin didn’t know what to do with the character so he got someone for the part that he thought could bring something to the character and not have to worry about developing it himself. But I don’t think she does that at all. I think Quentin was thinking with his dick on that one.

But that’s just my opinion - anyone else think differently?

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Well if Kim stops to do just that, Stuntman Mike will eventually catch up to them and ram them off at 120 mph. And if that happens everyone dies…I mean seriously 120 mph…Abernathy would probably be ejected through the windshield; Kim and Zoe’s neck would snap right off.

It’s common sense.
[/quote]

yeah exactly what I thought. they’re dead meat if they stop. I was terrified of the scene when i first saw it, knowing that what Zoe was doing on the hood is really what happened. I knew everything would be ok, but still… That’s her REALLY doing that. I convinced my mom to watch Death Proof and when it got to that scene she left, she couldn’t handle it.

Overall I think it’s one of the best car chases i’ve ever seen. Still not as good as Ronin’s but pretty fucking good nonetheless.