Little things you noticed

The girl on the Afrodite cover looks a lot like Jungle Julia…

What do you think?

I thought that was Alicia Keys :stuck_out_tongue: Who’s that on the SHOCK CINEMA cover?

It does look like JJ!

Did you notice that JJ’s last name is Lucai, the same as Quentin’s personal assistant Vickie Lucai.

Butterfly’s real first name is Arlene, like the made up name the Bride used in Kill Bill.

They advertise the FUCK outta Big Red soda. And they don’t even sell Big Red in Tennessee unless the store finds a way to have it delivered to them from Texas.

There’s more, but I’ve just waken up.

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Who’s that on the SHOCK CINEMA cover?
[/quote]
Looks like William Forsythe to me.

In Deathproof they show the convenience store in Tennessee selling liquor and you can’t buy liquor at convenience stores in Tennessee.

Which issue of the fangoria magazine is that? Does anybody know?

[quote=“nublob”]
In Deathproof they show the convenience store in Tennessee selling liquor and you can’t buy liquor at convenience stores in Tennessee.
[/quote]

Do they have Shell gas stations in Tennessee? Cos you see one in the background when they are at the circle A. It’s been so long since I’ve been to Tennessee, but I don’t remember if I saw Shell stations. Either way, it was obviously filmed in either Texas or Cali.

In the DVD cut of Death Proof, when Mike is taking pictures you hear a voice off screen shout “GOT IT!”. It doesn’t not sound like Kurt Russell at all, more like Tarantino himself.

I pointed that out to my friend and we were both kinda perplexed.

I heard that too. I contemplated, then just figured it was Kurt. It did seem out of the ordinary to me also.

I thought that was weird too. I never figured it was QT though.

[quote=“Geoi”]
It does look like JJ!

Did you notice that JJ’s last name is Lucai, the same as Quentin’s personal assistant Vickie Lucai.

Butterfly’s real first name is Arlene, like the made up name the Bride used in Kill Bill.

They advertise the FUCK outta Big Red soda. And they don’t even sell Big Red in Tennessee unless the store finds a way to have it delivered to them from Texas.

There’s more, but I’ve just waken up.

[/quote]

I used to see Big Red machines all over Indiana. It musn’t be (for obligatory chase movie obtuseb reference 331) like Coors beer once was. Now someday I will count the number of different configurations there are on Mike’s charger (duck, no duck, I think I even might have seen the Jolly Roger on it once outside the poster art. And why did the artist draw a '69 Camaro with no duck on the hood instead, of a '69 Nova with a duck? And finally isn’t that duck the symbol of Grandpa Simpson’s WWII outfit?

Between myself and 3 friends we had a '67 Charger, a '70 Nova, a '69 Z-28 Camaro and a '78 Nova. The '78 was mine and I did survive a head on with a girl in a yaht sized Buick at about 60 Mph closing speed (me 45, her 15 - she was trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic at a 45 degree angle, had had her license 13 days). Me going the speed limit and being sober was good luck… The only casualty was my Nova, only 23 more payments left… V-8, 4 speed, louder than hell and fast if you picked oponenets carefully(just no Corvettes and nothing older than 1972). This is what I drove the last couple of years I frequented the drive-in where I saw this sort of film in it’s original state. I knew the guy who ran the place and the audio amps were impressive, all tubes about WWII vintage.

The duck hood ornament is taken from the 1978 Sam Peckinpah trucker film Convoy. The character “Rubber Duck” (Kris Kristofferson) has it on his truck hood. So in Death Proof its supposed to sort of signify an unstoppable force. Also Stuntman Mike is basically the human equivalent of the duck ornament at the beginning of the film, he has the duckbill pompadour style hair, smokes the cigarette, and wears the silver jacket.

When Arlene gets the Vogue offer from the clerk, there’s an Elvis statue and a magazine with CSI team (Catherine and Grissom) on it.

Lanna Frank’s Hero Jacket has a two red Sexy Mud Flap girl logos on it…it almost looks like an “M.” You can see the red on the jacket when she makes her entrance and kisses QT. You see it again when she is dancing with Shanna just before they get in the Honda, and yet one last time when Death Proof is driving the engine into her chest.—just for a second, because then the dummy footage is spliced in.

I have confirmed this with Monica Staggs when I was trying to find out if there was something on the jacket or if it was some intended or accidental red reflection.

I have attached one photo–I cannot seem to paste it in the message, what am I doing wrong.

try with html:

[ img ]http://URL[ /img ] (without spaces)

Just watching El Dorado (Howards Hawks western, whgich is basically a remake of QTs fave Rio Bravo). Anyhoo, I was noticing the character Nels McCloud (Christopher George), he has a scar (like Mike) and a dead eye (like Drexl). Hes also supposed to be the “bad guy” of the movie. The strange thing is, hes likeable. I just thought of how Mike is sort of the same way. We know we’re supposed to hate him cuz hes “the psycho” yet still, he comes off very likeable and you almost feel bad for him in some ways. I think that character is directly influenced by Hawks characters like Mccloud. Just a film geek thought.

[quote]In Deathproof they show the convenience store in Tennessee selling liquor and you can’t buy liquor at convenience stores in Tennessee. [/quote]

You can sure buy and ICE cold beer at any convenience store or gas station in TN!

[quote=“eazye”]

You can sure buy and ICE cold beer at any convenience store or gas station in TN!
[/quote]

And live bait at most!

[quote]You can sure buy and ICE cold beer at any convenience store or gas station in TN![/quote]

beer isn’t liquor…

I’ve gone by Lebanon countless times on I-40 but I’ve never stopped off to find the places where the movie was shot. I smile at the fact that Death Proof was shot there. I could’ve easily passed someone from the movie on my way to and from Nashville; I travel between Nashville and Knoxville (Tarantino’s birthplace) a few times a year.

Oh and I can’t think of anything to add…

It wasnt shot there at all. It was shot in Austin Texas and California doubling for Lebanon Tenn. :slight_smile: