Blue Velvet/Death Proof

I just watched Blue Velvet for the first time in several years last night and I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between the two movies. I know that the driving scenes were a very small part of BV, but they seemed to have been a minor inspiration for QT’s DP. Did anyone else see any similarity?

now Pete can’t say I don’t make posts about DP. ;D

I doubt that Lynch is one of QT’s inspirations honestly. Even though I love both of them, they direct totally different types of films.

[quote=“Scarface”]
I doubt that Lynch is one of QT’s inspirations honestly. Even though I love both of them, they direct totally different types of films.
[/quote]
Really? I would be shocked if Lynch WEREN’T an influence on Tarantino. Lynch isn’t making the same kinds of movies as Tarantino these days, but Blue Velvet is very much in the same vein. BV is essentially a investigative thriller told in a funky way. In fact, QT’s True Romance is very similar to BV - they both are about innocent young men who fancy themselves resourceful and end up in over their heads. BV is also very much tied in with American pop culture like QT’s work, and both directors seem to embrace pop culture while simultaneously criticizing it.

There are lots of films that inspired QT that are in no way anything like the movies that he creates.

Haha, I love how someone is printing this topic at the moment ;D

Somewhere a new film geek is reading this topic and researching the similarities between the directors. Makes me get a bit misty eyed.

Hm I always wanted to watch Blue Velvet, and I just got another reason to do so.

[quote=“Ify”]
Haha, I love how someone is printing this topic at the moment ;D
[/quote]

Haha, cool. Can you also see the threads that have been printed out the most?

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Haha, cool. Can you also see the threads that have been printed out the most?
[/quote]

As far as I know, there isn’t such a functionality. It’s probably the sex scenes thread ;D

Quentin WAS a big fan of Lynch. After he saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, QT vowed never to see another Lynch picture. He commented, “David Lynch has gone so far up his own ass that it’d be a long time before I saw another one of his movies.”

I just watched Blue Velvet again last Saturday. As far as the driving scene, the only similarity I can think of is the black car that Sandy’s boyfriend was driving smashing Jeffery’s ride from behind. It had a similar feel the way Stuntman Mike crashed into the girl’s ride.