XXXX beer in Death Proof

The Australian beer “XXXX” features in Death Proof in the bar scene despite the fact that I doubt anyone outside of Australia really knows what it is. Anyone who remembers reading about the Australian night at QT Fest will remember that QT at one point discussed how you can tell a lot about what kind of film an Australian film is by the beer that the characters drink and XXXX was the brand he singled out. So I thought that was a cool nod.

Here’s a screencap (notice the four X’s behind her head):

Did anyone notice the picture of Johnny Cash with the “Cash Only” sign over the register. I got a kick out of that.

Angel: I noticed it too! I remember QT talking about XXXX beer showing up in Ozsploitation flicks like Dark Age (one he showed at the QT Fest). Very cool homage!

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Did anyone notice the picture of Johnny Cash with the “Cash Only” sign over the register. I got a kick out of that.
[/quote]I liked that, too 8)

[quote=“Angel”]
The Australian beer “XXXX” features in Death Proof in the bar scene despite the fact that I doubt anyone outside of Australia really knows what it is. Anyone who remembers reading about the Australian night at QT Fest will remember that QT at one point discussed how you can tell a lot about what kind of film an Australian film is by the beer that the characters drink and XXXX was the brand he singled out. So I thought that was a cool nod.

Here’s a screencap (notice the four X’s behind her head):

[/quote]
I had a buddy from New Zealand who went on and on about XXXX beer…or (fawh eks bieah) as he called it…

the joke was “what does American beer and Sex in a canoe have in common?” “They’re both pretty close to fucking water.”

I know this is a topic about beer or whatever. But did anyone notice a magazine with Sofia Coppola’s movie, the one that starrs Kiersten Dunst. It’s called Marie something. That was a cool refrence to his old girlfriend. I know it’s not a big deal but it’s worth mentioning.

Yeah in the quick mart store QT had all his favorite film magazines on the shelves. I think Marie Antoinette was on the cover of Film Comment.

Yeah, there was Fangoria and others…I dunno why but I always enjoy looking for QT refrences after seeing his films, they’re kind of like easter eggs that tell you a little about him.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Yeah in the quick mart store QT had all his favorite film magazines on the shelves. I think Marie Antoinette was on the cover of Film Comment.
[/quote]

Marie Antoinette was on like two (or maybe even three) covers. I thought that was pretty cool.

I don’t know if it was an intended reference to Coppola although I admit it’s a possibility. But Quentin has mentioned that this movie was set in the specific time period that it was made and stuff like the magazines were the current edition at the time. So, maybe it was just coincidence that Marie Antoinette was on the cover of movie and fashion magazines right at that time. Either way, I thought it was a cool scene. I particularly loved seeing Fangoria on the shelves.

It was def a reference to her because they were a couple for awhile. Im positive QT even told the prop people exactly which magazines to place on that rack. QT doesnt do random shots like that.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
It was def a reference to her because they were a couple for awhile. Im positive QT even told the prop people exactly which magazines to place on that rack. QT doesnt do random shots like that.
[/quote]

Of course he chose the magazines. All I’m saying is it’s just as likely he chose them for what they were than what they just happened to have on the cover that month.

I don’t think QT is into Vogue magazine! ;D

xxxx beer is amazing, whenever we visit relatives in QLD thats all we drink

That neon sign is really there at the Texas Chili Parlor in Austin. ;D

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]
xxxx beer is amazing, whenever we visit relatives in QLD thats all we drink
[/quote]
foar exx

hey i know its only 5 years late but i also noticed a VB sign (victoria bitter) behind the bar a little less obvious then the XXXX sign and also the sign stunt man mike crashes thru, its a movie sign, it has at the top scary movie 4 then under it “wolf creek” an aussie movie :smiley: