Death Proof Vs. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill

To all those who have seen Death Proof, how does it compare to QT’s previous 4 films? I don’t just mean which one do you prefer, I want details without spoilers. How do the following compare to his previous films:

• General direction
  • camera movement
  • acting
  • dialogue
  • use of music
  • story telling
  • cinematography
  • visuals
  • coolness
  • rewatchability

Has QT improved in any of these aspects? Has he addressed those aspects in different ways?

From his last directing pieces (CSI: Grave Danger and Sin City) I have seen that he has upped his game visually. Camera movement is fluid and precise. Framing is perfect. Has he adhered to that same quality in Death Proof?

What are the set-pieces like? There are quite a lot of times where I get goosebumps or can’t help but to applaud at certain scenes in his previous 4 films, does this happen in Death Proof? Basically, has he improved in any way since his last cinematic outing?

Too much! :o

Tut, you lot disappoint me.

I’d say the only superior thing in DP is defintely the music, other than that his other films top DP.

Damn.

I think this is kind a shitty thing to think because for example, if Tarantino would have continued using his perfect camera movement and framing in Grindhouse, it would’t make the movie that much a grind house would it? I mean this is such a genre movie. The most extreme genre-movie he has ever made. And that genre happens to get it’s glory from all the shitty stuff they used to do. It’s cool, but goes across with Tarantino’s superior skills. But a grind house -film is not about artistic features, it’s about the experience. And that Tarantino did archieve even though I haven’t seen the movie because I live in Finland, and around here we only eat shit and drink piss.

Wow! That’s a new fact about Finland I didn’t know :wink:

Yea, high social secuirity got it’s down side.

Secuirity, yes, I am the word master.

nothing in this film is better than in any of his other films.

i think its probably his most enjoyable movie, ive watched in on my comp loads of times now, but that might be down to the running time being so short. i personally love the dialogue and dont see what the problem is with it - the difference with his other movies is that this isnt a crime caper or thriller and so it isnt in the context of anything important, the characters talk how they do in real life, just hanging out. its a slasher movie and so its got that teenage flick vibe and hes successful in getting that. its really funny and all the dialogue is relevant to the story (e.g. someone on here was complaining about the ‘ditch’ dialogue but for one thing it was well performed, and for another - it was a major plot point ffs!). there are some classic lines but theyre kinda long really, like that whole ‘hysterically funny but NOT funny looking guy’ thing

the first thing i thought when i finished watching it was how much better a director he is now, especially concerning action sequences, the final car chase is incredible and pisses all over any of the action scenes in kill bill. all the scenes are pretty well shot, and hes gone back to his older indie style which is very cool. there are some really great classic shots in the movie as well, like jungle julia swinging her hair in the bar and especially when zoe mounts the car with a pole, thats fucking MENTAL image! the music works really well and is used to great effect, again much better than in certain places in kill bill - i always felt that the crazy 88 sequence was too disjointed in the way it was soundtracked.

and the actings great, at first i thought kurt russell wasnt sinister enough, that he was only as creepy as meeting kurt russell in a bar in real life probably would be (!), but apparently the extra footage makes up for whats lacking in the grindhouse version. again the story telling aspect will probably be improved with the extra footage

Death Proof is definitely my least favorite QT film. However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good movie, in fact its a great movie, a true masterpiece of exploitation filmmaking. Now this film has great music/score, QT’s most realisitic dailogue, and one of the top 5 if not 3 car chase scenes of all time. So it definitely is a good movie, in my eyes, a masterpiece grindhouse movie. DP is totally different than anything else QT has done before, and it’s his second genre movie (Kill Bill is obviously the first). However, you can tell that he directed it, it has that QT feel to it for sure. The thing that makes it so different is that 1, he’s working in an exact genre, and 2 it IS an exploitation film, which has its own feel to it all together, not to mention the fact that he used real life brands in it, such as ICY HOT for example. QT says that Jackie Brown was 50% Leonard, and 50% him, well Death Proof is 50% classic Tarantino and all that encompasses, and 50% grindhouse. What i mean by that is that the movie itself truely feels like an exploitation movie, to be exact, a carsploitation/slasher movie, and its not in QT’s movie world, so this is where you get the grindhouse exploitation feel, and then the other 50% is classic tarantino, ala Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction, which allows you to be sure that this is a QT movie. When you put all of that together, you get one kick ass grindhouse movie. Now its a smaller movie, especially in comparison to Kill Bill, and it by no means feels like this huge movie, which wasn’t the intent, a positive thing. Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie, Dogs my 2nd, Kill Bill (1+2) is my 3rd, Jackie Brown, my 4th, and DP is not my 5th, that would be Taxi Driver, but it definitely is in my top 25, i’ll have to see the uncut version to see exactly where it is, probably top 15. The reason i tell you this is to show you that it isn’t the best film out there, and it isn’t the best QT film, but it still is a great movie, an exploitation (carsploitation/slasher) masterpiece, full of witty yet very realistic dialogue, consists of fresh characters, very much enjoyable for even those who are not QT buffs, and most of all, a hell of a ride. It is a 9/10 on the QT scale, all his others being 10/10.

[quote=“savage_henry”]
i think its probably his most enjoyable movie, ive watched in on my comp loads of times now, but that might be down to the running time being so short. i personally love the dialogue and dont see what the problem is with it - the difference with his other movies is that this isnt a crime caper or thriller and so it isnt in the context of anything important, the characters talk how they do in real life, just hanging out. its a slasher movie and so its got that teenage flick vibe and hes successful in getting that. its really funny and all the dialogue is relevant to the story (e.g. someone on here was complaining about the ‘ditch’ dialogue but for one thing it was well performed, and for another - it was a major plot point ffs!). there are some classic lines but theyre kinda long really, like that whole ‘hysterically funny but NOT funny looking guy’ thing

the first thing i thought when i finished watching it was how much better a director he is now, especially concerning action sequences, the final car chase is incredible and pisses all over any of the action scenes in kill bill. all the scenes are pretty well shot, and hes gone back to his older indie style which is very cool. there are some really great classic shots in the movie as well, like jungle julia swinging her hair in the bar and especially when zoe mounts the car with a pole, thats fucking MENTAL image! the music works really well and is used to great effect, again much better than in certain places in kill bill - i always felt that the crazy 88 sequence was too disjointed in the way it was soundtracked.

and the actings great, at first i thought kurt russell wasnt sinister enough, that he was only as creepy as meeting kurt russell in a bar in real life probably would be (!), but apparently the extra footage makes up for whats lacking in the grindhouse version. again the story telling aspect will probably be improved with the extra footage

[/quote]

you state his characters talk like they would in real life and thats what all of his characters do in all his films.

[quote=“savage_henry”]

[/quote]

Wow, brilliant answer. Thanks.

[quote=“KILL BILL vol.3”]
Death Proof is definitely my least favorite QT film. However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good movie, in fact its a great movie, a true masterpiece of exploitation filmmaking. Now this film has great music/score, QT’s most realisitic dailogue, and one of the top 5 if not 3 car chase scenes of all time. So it definitely is a good movie, in my eyes, a masterpiece grindhouse movie. DP is totally different than anything else QT has done before, and it’s his second genre movie (Kill Bill is obviously the first). However, you can tell that he directed it, it has that QT feel to it for sure. The thing that makes it so different is that 1, he’s working in an exact genre, and 2 it IS an exploitation film, which has its own feel to it all together, not to mention the fact that he used real life brands in it, such as ICY HOT for example. QT says that Jackie Brown was 50% Leonard, and 50% him, well Death Proof is 50% classic Tarantino and all that encompasses, and 50% grindhouse. What i mean by that is that the movie itself truely feels like an exploitation movie, to be exact, a carsploitation/slasher movie, and its not in QT’s movie world, so this is where you get the grindhouse exploitation feel, and then the other 50% is classic tarantino, ala Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction, which allows you to be sure that this is a QT movie. When you put all of that together, you get one kick ass grindhouse movie. Now its a smaller movie, especially in comparison to Kill Bill, and it by no means feels like this huge movie, which wasn’t the intent, a positive thing. Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie, Dogs my 2nd, Kill Bill (1+2) is my 3rd, Jackie Brown, my 4th, and DP is not my 5th, that would be Taxi Driver, but it definitely is in my top 25, i’ll have to see the uncut version to see exactly where it is, probably top 15. The reason i tell you this is to show you that it isn’t the best film out there, and it isn’t the best QT film, but it still is a great movie, an exploitation (carsploitation/slasher) masterpiece, full of witty yet very realistic dialogue, consists of fresh characters, very much enjoyable for even those who are not QT buffs, and most of all, a hell of a ride. It is a 9/10 on the QT scale, all his others being 10/10.
[/quote]

Great, thanks.

My all-time favorite remains Dogs, but I thought DP was pretty much Dogs-standard.

[quote=“Ify”]
Great, thanks.
[/quote]

[quote=“Ify”]
Wow, brilliant answer. Thanks.
[/quote]

Haha, what the hell Ify, you’re acting like a host of a thread or something, it looks pretty amusing. You can’t OWN a thread, haha, I’ve noticed this behaviour of yours before

[quote=“Bleach”]
Haha, what the hell Ify, you’re acting like a host of a thread or something, it looks pretty amusing. You can’t OWN a thread, haha, I’ve noticed this behaviour of yours before
[/quote]

Haha, sometimes I think you say these things just to piss me off.

Ok, I’ll break it down:

I started a thread because I wanted to know the answer to MY question. When those nice people answered my question, I thanked them for it. I can’t believe you even have a problem with that. So what should I have done? This thread was created for selfish purposes in that I wanted to know myself. Now, if other people learnt something from it, then great. But I didn’t make it to educate everyone or anything like that, IT WAS FOR THE EXACT OPPOSITE.

Oh, and I also remember you taking the piss out of me for saying “haha” a lot, dude, you should look at yourself, seriously. Fucking hypocrite.

[quote=“Ify”]
Oh, and I also remember you taking the piss out of me for saying “haha” a lot, dude, you should look at yourself, seriously. Fucking hypocrite.
[/quote]

I was referring to the “hahahahahahahahahhahahahaa” actually. Back in the flame war days, you used that a lot to show how funny you thought your opponent’s arguments were.

Nothing’s wrong with the plain old “haha”.

This is hilarious. That hypocrite line really sounds bitter

“Flame war” days? I also remember you ridiculing that term, now you’re using it yourself. Carry on making a fool out of yourself. Fucking hypocrite.