Death Proof Movie/Pop Culture Connections

Heres the place to post all movie references/pop culture connections you’ve found in Death Proof’s set photos and the movie itself. Happy Easter Egg Hunting!

So here is the first connection to Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. Proof that the licence plate number on Peter Fonda’s car is the same as the black car from the Death Proof set pic:

8) 8)

That is awesome! The first movie reference from Death Proof!

And a great one ! You’re really good for it, I can’t contribute a lot now, cause ahah I feel less less better on this level that you. But go on, I like to read you 8)

Heres the fake “Potheads Two” billboard:

Notice it is starring: Sarah L. Driver (Full Tilt Boogie director, inspiration for the Elle Driver name) Helen Kim (Karen Kim in Kill Bill Vol. 2) and The RZA. Love the bong D! :slight_smile:

z

New film connection (from the Grindhouse Wiki page)

“They were also filming at a convenience store at the corner of RM620 and Lakecreek Parkway in far Northwest Austin on Friday 9/29. In front of the store was parked a 1969/70 Dodge Charger painted flat black with a duck for a hood ornament. The hood ornament was an exact duplicate of the one used on the Rubber Duck’s big-rig in the movie Convoy.”

(above) Rubber Duck Mack Truck in Sam Peckinpah’s Convoy (1977)0

I see two references alone in the first picture that was posted in a recent AICN article:

DEATH PROOF PIC #1

#1 The yellow car with black stripes reminds of Kill Bill Vol.1

#2 The license plate says “BRAND X” Brand X was the Joker’s product to poison people in Gotham City in 1989’s Batman.

EDIT: then again, Wikipedia says “Brand X” is the name of a 1975 founded Jazz-Rock group

???

I’m not totally sure of the year/model of the Brand X car, but it looks alot like the original Eleanor (sans stripes), a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I in Gone in 60 Seconds (1974).

(above: Maindrian Pace (HB Halicki) and “Eleanor” in the original Gone in 60 Seconds, 1974)4

Like I said In another thread…Do you think Quentin got the Idea for the fake trailers from Kentucky Fried Movie which had a couple of fake trailers?(catholic school girls In trouble)

The Kill Bill car could be a reference to the car seen in High Tension

[quote=“me”]
Like I said In another thread…Do you think Quentin got the Idea for the fake trailers from Kentucky Fried Movie which had a couple of fake trailers?(catholic school girls In trouble)
[/quote]

Its a possibility. I love the KFM, but that was more of a thing where they were spoofing different genres in a comedic way. I dont think QT and RR are coming from that place. They are more serious about what they are representing.

UPDATE: The Kill Bill car in Death Proof is in fact a Ford Mustang Mach I, the same make as Eleanor in Gone in 60 Seconds (1974). This will be the 2nd reference to that film in a QT Movie Movie, the first being Sheriff Earl McGraw’s sunglasses lined dashboard, which Maindrian Pace also had in Gone in 60 Seconds.

Actually its not a kill bill car its a the same colors of some suite bruce lee wore in one of his movies witch was made before kill bill obviously so isent that another movie referance

The Car (Could be) is a reference to High Tension and Kill Bill and The Game of Death.

[quote=“Jjp”]
Actually its not a kill bill car its a the same colors of some suite bruce lee wore in one of his movies witch was made before kill bill obviously so isent that another movie referance
[/quote]

Actually it is. Everyone knows about the Game of Death yellow n black tracksuit reference, but its also a reference to Kill Bill which QT directed, which had a yellow n black tracksuit and a yellow and black striped motorcycle helmet.

Suite? Witch? Isent? Refarence? Learn to fuckin spell man. jeez.

I think he’s french.

pardon his french!

haha

real fuckin’ funny yes i said fuckin’ not fucking. i find no reason to spell check everything i write when im writing on the computer unlike yous i have a life!

yous got no fuckin lives go out nd do sumthin half of yous are like fuckin 20-30 old men who have never did anything just sit on you computer all day and talk about tarantino, yes he is the greates director of all time, but if you really like movies so much get off your ass and make one you fucking jerkoff prick losers son of a bitches.

unlike yous im 16 and i have been practiceing to make movies since i was 11 im a tarantino enthuist but i am not like you who just sit around on your asses and dun try to do anything but talk about how good someones movie is gona be make your own you fuckin idiots.