What went wrong?

This summer one of my freinds had his cousin over for 3 weeks. In those weeks, I managed to watch From Dusk Till Dawn. Well, the movie started out good. It had kick ass action and seemed like it was gonna be great. Then Came out the Vampires, this is where the movie got all WINDTALKERS on me. Why would quentin do such a movie, he knew what has gonna happen???

I know this topic has “sort of” come up before. but what i am asking is, why would such a great director have anything to do with this. If he hated the Matrix reloaded so much then what’s with this.

Tarantino actually wrote FDTD way back in the late 80’s/early 90’s as a favor to Bob Kurtzman from KNB FX. I believe Tarantino was paid like $1,500, plus Kurtzman agreed to do the effects for “Reservoir Dogs” in return.

As to why the movie gets crappy toward the end, I don’t know. A lot of the silly stuff kinda ruined it for me too. Although I have to admit that some of the one liners are the best Tarantino’s written.

“You’re dealin’ with a coupla real mean motor-scooters.”

"…I will turn this place into the fucking ‘Wild Bunch’ if I think that you are fucking with me."

"Don’t you ever try and fucking run on us, because I got six little friends and they can all run faster than you can."

And, of course, so good that we included it in one of my band’s songs…

"Kill 'em ALL!"

Etc., etc., etc.

As to why Tarantino would even bother acting in the movie…Q.T. has this misconception that he’s a decent actor. If I recall, there was a heated debate around Hollywood as to whether or not the man actuallly COULD act. I suspect he took the role to bring an end to all the trash-talking. Did it work? No. People still say he’s a shitty actor. I’ve posted here before that he’s no DeNiro, but he’s definitely better than Keanu Reeves or Vin Disel, but I digress.

Anyway, some of your points DO beg rational answers. I did my best to shed what little light I could. Hope it helped. Later.

M.W.

That cleared some of this mess up. But i guess that i’d have to ask the man for his reasons. Thanks Mickey

The second part of FDTD was a homage to all those horror cult movies QT loves so much. It had gore, violence, nudity, black humor, cheesy special effects etc.; all essential elements which one would normally find in a cult movie made in the 70’s or 80’s. If you’re not into cult movies, you will not enjoy the second part of FDTD. Period.

[quote]The second part of FDTD was a homage to all those horror cult movies QT loves so much. It had gore, violence, nudity, black humor, cheesy special effects etc.; all essential elements which one would normally find in a cult movie made in the  70’s or 80’s. If you’re not into cult movies, you will not enjoy the second part of FDTD. Period.[/quote]

I could understand if the entire movie was a homage to cult films but why the suddon twist. I like homage films in a different way then i like my other movies. The start of the film seemed like it would be all about crime and things that could happen in real life. But the movie just changed and went from realistic to vampires, like the entire rest of the film had nothing to do with the begining. It just left me unsatisfied.

I think it’s because QT said he loves to do something different. He doesn’t like movies where you can figure out the rest of the plot 5 minutes in. I loved every bit of FDTD because it did just that – surprised us at the end with a horror film.

it’s just that there didn’t have to be a begining part. The second part has nothing to do with the begining. There could have been a totally different begining and the second part could would still make sence. But the story was moving along so well and could have been so cool then all that character development ment nothing because the ending had nothing to do with the begining.

First part is for crime fans, second part is for horror fans. I’m guessing thats what Robert and Quentin were thinking of what to do. Basically its like this when Quentin dies so does the movie…

[quote]First part is for crime fans, second part is for horror fans. I’m guessing thats what Robert and Quentin were thinking of what to do. Basically its like this when Quentin dies so does the movie…[/quote]

hehe, good point. When QT dies, so does "his movie" then Rodriguez comes to life and takes over....

[quote] hehe, good point. When QT dies, so does “his movie” then Rodriguez comes to life and takes over…[/quote]

More like when QT dies, so does the movie. lol.

[quote]

More like when QT dies, so does the movie. lol.
[/quote]
I said that already! :o >:(

[quote]
I said that already!   :o >:(
[/quote]

Oops didnt see that last line. Excuuuuuse me.

The movie really does die when he does. ooh well, at least the asian kid dies also. I realllllllly didn’t like him

I’m glad the movie wasn’t all of QT’s style, because it wouldn’t be fair to Robert Rodriguez, who is, I don’t know, the DIRECTOR of the movie! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: If QT directed it, then yeah, I would’ve expected more of his style. But he didn’t.

The horror film is exactly what it should’ve been. B-movie grade horror with blood and guts…QT didn’t get Tom Savini (the guy with the cock gun) for nothing. That guy is a legend in horror. I don’t know how many other ways you can film B-movie horror. I think Rodriguez did it the only way he could.

The entire film, up until the vampires, was good. It had a great story going for it then vampires just came out. What if about 3/4 of the way thourgh jacky brown in some random part vampires just came out and the entire begining didn’t matter. That’s the way i felt about FDTD

Ok then, let’s just forget the vampire thing for a moment. Let’s just say Seth and co. have just reached the Titty Twister and sexy Salma has just finished that jaw-dropping dancing scene. Where would you personally go with the story from there? It would be interesting to hear some of your opinion. Just don’t say they should have sex for 45 minutes before Carlos shows up.

[quote]Ok then, let’s just forget the vampire thing for a moment. Let’s just say Seth and co. have just reached the Titty Twister and sexy Salma has just finished that jaw-dropping dancing scene. Where would you personally go with the story from there? It would be interesting to hear some of your opinion. Just don’t say they should have sex for 45 minutes before Carlos shows up.[/quote]
If its Selma Hayek

Yes

Yes I’d like to see 45 minutes of sex.

Anything is better then than lame ass shit. I mean what if instead of Vampires appearing the story happaned as planed. They went to the Bar and the deal went down. What if the deal went sour and the police got involved. And there was some kind of hostage situation. Maybe one of the kids died. Whatever. Anything but vampires

Starkey, how come you love the Evil Dead movies but hate the second part of FDTD so much?

[quote]Starkey, how come you love the Evil Dead movies but hate the second part of FDTD so much? [/quote]

I can answer that for him: Because Rodriguez is no Sam Raimi. The second half of FDTD is very weak. Evil Dead is so much better than that BS.

The only reason I like the movie at all is because QT had something to do with it. I dont really like Rodriguez that much.