What went wrong?

... as well as Full Tilt Boogie, the music and more. Let's kill some vampires!
Starkey
Real McCoy

What went wrong?

Post by Starkey » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:19 am

This summer one of my freinds had his cousin over for 3 weeks. In those weeks, I managed to watch From Dusk Till Dawn. Well, the movie started out good. It had kick ass action and seemed like it was gonna be great.  Then Came out the Vampires, this is where the movie got all WINDTALKERS on me. Why would quentin do such a movie, he knew what has gonna happen???

I know this topic has "sort of" come up before. but what i am asking is, why would such a great director have anything to do with this. If he hated the Matrix reloaded so much then what's with this.
NEW DRHOMEALONE BANNER!!!

Mickey_Worley

Re: What went wrong?

Post by Mickey_Worley » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:35 am

Tarantino actually wrote FDTD way back in the late 80's/early 90's as a favor to Bob Kurtzman from KNB FX.  I believe Tarantino was paid like $1,500, plus Kurtzman agreed to do the effects for "Reservoir Dogs" in return.

As to why the movie gets crappy toward the end, I don't know.  A lot of the silly stuff kinda ruined it for me too.  Although I have to admit that some of the one liners are the best Tarantino's written.

"You're dealin' with a coupla real mean motor-scooters."

"...I will turn this place into the fucking 'Wild Bunch' if I think that you are fucking with me."

"Don't you ever try and fucking run on us, because I got six little friends and they can all run faster than you can."

And, of course, so good that we included it in one of my band's songs...

"Kill 'em ALL!"

Etc., etc., etc.

As to why Tarantino would even bother acting in the movie...Q.T. has this misconception that he's a decent actor.  If I recall, there was a heated debate around Hollywood as to whether or not the man actuallly COULD act.  I suspect he took the role to bring an end to all the trash-talking.  Did it work?  No.  People still say he's a shitty actor.  I've posted here before that he's no DeNiro, but he's definitely better than Keanu Reeves or Vin Disel, but I digress.

Anyway, some of your points DO beg rational answers.  I did my best to shed what little light I could.  Hope it helped.  Later.

M.W.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:43 am

That cleared some of this mess up. But i guess that i'd have to ask the man for his reasons. Thanks Mickey

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:54 pm

The second part of FDTD was a homage to all those horror cult movies QT loves so much. It had gore, violence, nudity, black humor, cheesy special effects etc.; all essential elements which one would normally find in a cult movie made in the  70's or 80's. If you're not into cult movies, you will not enjoy the second part of FDTD. Period.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:52 am

The second part of FDTD was a homage to all those horror cult movies QT loves so much. It had gore, violence, nudity, black humor, cheesy special effects etc.; all essential elements which one would normally find in a cult movie made in the  70's or 80's. If you're not into cult movies, you will not enjoy the second part of FDTD. Period.
I could understand if the entire movie was a homage to cult films but why the suddon twist. I like homage films in a different way then i like my other movies. The start of the film seemed like it would be all about crime and things that could happen in real life. But the movie just changed and went from realistic to vampires, like the entire rest of the film had nothing to do with the begining. It just left me unsatisfied.

Delfonics
Hard Drinker

Post by Delfonics » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:33 pm

I think it's because QT said he loves to do something different. He doesn't like movies where you can figure out the rest of the plot 5 minutes in. I loved every bit of FDTD because it did just that -- surprised us at the end with a horror film.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:38 am

it's just that there didn't have to be a begining part. The second part has nothing to do with the begining. There could have been a totally different begining and the second part could would still make sence. But the story was moving along so well and could have been so cool then all that character development ment nothing because the ending had nothing to do with the begining.

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:51 am

First part is for crime fans, second part is for horror fans. I'm guessing thats what Robert and Quentin were thinking of what to do. Basically its like this when Quentin dies so does the movie......

Dead_Nigga_Storage

Post by Dead_Nigga_Storage » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:00 pm

First part is for crime fans, second part is for horror fans. I'm guessing thats what Robert and Quentin were thinking of what to do. Basically its like this when Quentin dies so does the movie......

hehe, good point. When QT dies, so does "his movie" then Rodriguez comes to life and takes over....

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:16 am

hehe, good point. When QT dies, so does "his movie" then Rodriguez comes to life and takes over....
More like when QT dies, so does the movie. lol.

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:26 am

More like when QT dies, so does the movie. lol.
I said that already!     :o >:(

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:31 am

I said that already!     :o >:(
Oops didnt see that last line. Excuuuuuse me.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:58 am

The movie really does die when he does. ooh well, at least the asian kid dies also. I realllllllly didn't like him

Delfonics
Hard Drinker

Post by Delfonics » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:09 am

I'm glad the movie wasn't all of QT's style, because it wouldn't be fair to Robert Rodriguez, who is, I don't know, the DIRECTOR of the movie!  :P :D If QT directed it, then yeah, I would've expected more of his style. But he didn't.

The horror film is exactly what it should've been. B-movie grade horror with blood and guts....QT didn't get Tom Savini (the guy with the cock gun) for nothing. That guy is a legend in horror. I don't know how many other ways you can film B-movie horror. I think Rodriguez did it the only way he could.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:29 am

The entire film, up until the vampires, was good. It had a great story going for it then vampires just came out. What if about 3/4 of the way thourgh jacky brown in some random part vampires just came out and the entire begining didn't matter. That's the way i felt about FDTD

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:11 pm

Ok then, let's just forget the vampire thing for a moment. Let's just say Seth and co. have just reached the Titty Twister and sexy Salma has just finished that jaw-dropping dancing scene. Where would you personally go with the story from there? It would be interesting to hear some of your opinion. Just don't say they should have sex for 45 minutes before Carlos shows up.

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:21 pm

Ok then, let's just forget the vampire thing for a moment. Let's just say Seth and co. have just reached the Titty Twister and sexy Salma has just finished that jaw-dropping dancing scene. Where would you personally go with the story from there? It would be interesting to hear some of your opinion. Just don't say they should have sex for 45 minutes before Carlos shows up.
If its Selma Hayek
Yes
Yes I'd like to see 45 minutes of sex.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:43 am

Anything is better then than lame ass shit. I mean what if instead of Vampires appearing the story happaned as planed. They went to the Bar and the deal went down. What if the deal went sour and the police got involved. And there was some kind of hostage situation. Maybe one of the kids died. Whatever. Anything but vampires
Last edited by Starkey on Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:35 pm

Starkey, how come you love the Evil Dead movies but hate the second part of FDTD so much?

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:42 pm

Starkey, how come you love the Evil Dead movies but hate the second part of FDTD so much?
I can answer that for him: Because Rodriguez is no Sam Raimi. The second half of FDTD is very weak. Evil Dead is so much better than that BS.

The only reason I like the movie at all is because QT had something to do with it. I dont really like Rodriguez that much.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:25 am

I can understand  what you're saying. I think Rodriguez is a talented filmmaker , but he  is no horror director (just look at "The Faculty" for chrissakes). Maybe comparing FDTD to Evil Dead was a bit far-fetched; but I still have to admit I truly enjoyed FDTD from beginning to end. Just a matter of taste I guess.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:11 am

Because Evil Dead was a joke. It made me laugh the entire time, While In FDTD the first three quarters was a thriller/crime/action and the end quarter was a Horror film. There was this huge story building up then it totally changed and the entire begining had nothing to do with the end. Evil Dead is just one big joke and that's all it is.

maybe i just don't like Rodrigue? that would explain everything.

Bullet

Post by Bullet » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:17 am

And Plus evil dead seems like the polor oppsite of this film. As Starkey said the whole thing is a fuckin joke for evil dead. This film tries to be serious and scary.

festus_taint

Post by festus_taint » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:49 am

I'm sorry but I don't see what's wrong with FDTD.  It kicks ass, all 90+ minutes of it.  Does it change pace?  yes, but that's kind of the point.  It's the only Rodriges movie that I actually love (I haven't see OUATIM yet, don't know), I like the Faculty, but FDTD is brilliant.  It's a big budgett B-movie, that's what it's meant to be.  It's foremost a horror movie, the only real difference between it and a 70's and 80's style horror movie is that it builds slowly so you get to know the character's and feel for them in a way.  

FDTD in a way has many of the themes that Pulp and Dogs does.  The brothers are criminals, Seth is a very sick-minded criminal. they are kicked in the ass by fate, Seth is murdered for his sins by fate, granted, in this movie fate is a whole bar of vampires, in Friday the 13th fate is usually Jason, make some kind of sense?  If you don't like it, I guess that's your opinion, but understand that the reason you hate it is one of the same things that makes it so good.

I remember when I was young, anxiously awaiting to see it on video (I didn't go to the theatres as much as I do now, when I was younger).  My mom who loves horror movies and gave me my taste for a good horror movie watched it with me.  I kept telling her that the movie was a vampire movie, so we watch anxiously awaiting those bloodsucking mexicans.  While we were waiting, I became sucked into the dialog, character development, the coldness of Seth, the family they hijack.  The brothers are horrible people, but somehow, you hope they don't get discovered.  All through the first 45 minutes both I and my mom are starting to doubt that the movie is a vampire movie, but it's still a great movie, just a different movie.  And finally everyone goes to the Titty Twister, and the anticipation builds for gore and violence.  All of the sudden FDTD is not a criminals on the run movie it's a gore-fest.  The reason I love the movie is that it is two movies, and both kick ass.  Like I said though, you have your opinion, maybe it's kindof like how I feel about Full Metal Jacket.  Though I don't hate the second half, it doesn't stack up to the first half.

To say the only reason you like the movie is because of Tarantino is complete bullshit.  Don't fuckin' watch it, if you don't like it.  I don't care if my favorite director acted and wrote a movie I hate, I'm sure as hell not gonna say anything good about it (not that I agree with your opinion about the movie, I love FDTD).

I do disagree that the movie dies with Tarantino, I love the end when Clooney leaves Juliette Lewis, and then the camera pans to the junkyard behind the Titty Twister.

One Last Comment of Tarantino as an actor:
He's not a good actor when he's acting out someone else's lines, but he however is brilliant when handleing his own.
Let Tarantino be whoever he wants to be in any Tarantino written or directed film.
Last edited by festus_taint on Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:31 am

It's you'r choice to like or dislike the ending. To me the end destroyed a good thing. The entire movie is running smoth and everything is falling into place. Then the Vampires came out and totally changed the story line. The entire relationship between all of the characters ment nothing, that entire great begining ment nothing. It had nothing to do with the end. The movie never concluded, it just had some random fucked up scene with vampires where everyone died. It's so fucked up.

festus_taint

Post by festus_taint » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:06 am

By the way, Evil Dead one was trying to be serious.  only evil dead 2 and Army of darkness are made to be funny.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:40 am

There was nothing serious about it. It was trying to be scary but not serious, theres a difference. It cost $300,000 to make so instead of scary we got funny. Now the begining of FDTD seemed serious to me and was going well. Then out came the ol vampires.

festus_taint

Post by festus_taint » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:08 am

When I mean serious, I also mean scary.  IMO there has to be a certain seriousness to something in order to be scary.  Funny scary doesn't work, it's just funny then.

Starkey
Real McCoy

Post by Starkey » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:35 am

It wasnt' to be takes seriousally. It was to have LOUD noises and FAST chace scenes. That's how a cheap horror film works. If you watched the commentary with Bruce then you would understand that nothing in this movie was serious. How the fuck could a plot like that be taken seriousally.

Anyway, we've moved off topic. Rodriguez was not going for serious in the end but there's no way that he wasn't in the begining. He had little to do with the begining, and should have little to do with anythign at all.

festus_taint

Post by festus_taint » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:17 am

I did watch all of the commentaries for Evil dead, and yes all of the key players (especially Campbell) are goofs.  That does not however mean that they meant to make a funny movie.  Evil Dead in it's time actually scared people.  We don't find it scary but we come from a different age.  Is Evil Dead funny?  Yes, some of it is intentional, but most of it isn't.  Most of the humor in the movie is either low-budget side-effects, or the humor that unintentionally came through by the creators.  Just because funny people made the movie, doesn't mean it has to be a funny movie.  Anyway Evil Dead 1 one was intended to be a serious movie, not serious in the sense that a drama is serious, but rather serious in the sense that it was meant to scare.  It doesn't now (did a little back then).  It wasn't made to be a joke.  That's all I'm saying

Anyway, I don't think the two should be compaired.  They are totally different movie with totally different styles.  I love them both, but it's like apples and oranges.