What is up with the vampires?

How do the vampires operate? When a person turns, are they still that person, but a vampire? If so, why would that person be forced to kill/drain others? If they are still themselves, they should be able to choose (like the priest…what?). But yet, they appear to retain the memories of the people they used to be (ala Richie). What is your take on the vampires?

I think that they’re stupid as fuck and don’t really operate on rules. it’s like The Evil Dead. Sam Raimi has said that in order for it to be scary there has to be one rule: The Deadites (Or zombies) can come at any time, for any reason. Sometimes a person turns into one because they fall in mud (WHAT??) sometimes they turn because they are bitten, yet when ash is bitten only his hand turns. At one point a girl gets stabbed with a pencil and turns. I think the same goes for the vampires in FDTD. They have no rules, because they wanted it to be scary and/or they wanted it to resemble the crappy horror movies of the 80’s.

[quote]I think that they’re stupid as fuck and don’t really operate on rules. it’s like The Evil Dead. Sam Raimi has said that in order for it to be scary there has to be one rule: The Deadites (Or zombies) can come at any time, for any reason. Sometimes a person turns into one because they fall in mud (WHAT??) sometimes they turn because they are bitten, yet when ash is bitten only his hand turns. At one point a girl gets stabbed with a pencil and turns. I think the same goes for the vampires in FDTD. They have no rules, because they wanted it to be scary and/or they wanted it to resemble the crappy horror movies of the 80’s.[/quote]

That is a good point…

But how do they operate mentally? Like personality wise.

[quote]

That is a good point…

But how do they operate mentally? Like personality wise.[/quote]

I guess they have the bar to attract bikers in order to feed. That’s what they ultimately want…to feed their thirst. When someone turns into a vampire, he becomes a vampire. I don’t think he has a chance to choose or to retain his memory (hence Jacob biting his son). But FDTD is a cult movie, so I think it shouldn’t be delved into that deeply. There are many unanswered questions: e.g. why does Salma Hayek resemble a snake when she tranfroms herself? why does the band blow up for no reason at all? why does Jacob take an eternity to transform, yet Frost transforms in a matter of seconds? I think we should all enjoy the movie for what it is, a 100% fun movie.

Good answer. GOOD answer. ;D

If FDTD had been just a vampire movie i would have been kind of disappointed by the way vampires are portayed: they’re basically zombies (the process of turning into bloodsuckers is typically zombiesque: vampires have to drain blood from another vampire to turn into one…), they’re ugly, they bleed green slime, etc…

BUT, like Scarface said, this is not a vampire movie, and the horror-gory part, along with the others, is perfectly enjoyable just the way it is.

I think when a person becomes a Vampire (in some movies) they are possessed and the spirit (or whatever) that now inhabits them uses their memories to mess with the people who knew them like Richie did with Seth.

But as said before this is not an intellectual movie exploring the mythos and mind of the Vampire. If you want that Shit watch Interview with a gay Vampire. But this is a popcorn flick so don’t question the green blood, just except it and love (or hate) it. :wink:

[quote=“Scarface is on strike”]
I think we should all enjoy the movie for what it is, a 100% fun movie.
[/quote]

Great Awnser, totally agree.

[quote=“MiaRose”]
Great Awnser, totally agree.
[/quote]

I think he meant it’s a 50% fun movie :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, lemme see:

• Salma Hayek
  • Exploding condoms
  • Cock pistol
  • Tom Savini
  • Bare tits
  • Annoying Chinese kid getting killed
  • Flying limbs
  • Tito & Tarantula and their corpse shaped guitar

Nah, I confirm: it’s 100% FUN. It’s kinda weird reading my own post from a year and a half ago, huh?

Hmm, lemme see:

• Salma Hayek
  • Exploding condoms
  • Cock pistol
  • Tom Savini
  • Bare tits
  • Annoying Chinese kid getting killed
  • Flying limbs
  • Tito & Tarantula and their corpse shaped guitar

Nah, I confirm: it’s 100% FUN. It’s kinda weird reading my own post from a year and a half ago, huh?
    [/quote]
    I actually wanted the kid to live but everything else was fun.

[quote=“Mr.Blonde”]
I actually wanted the kid to live but everything else was fun.
[/quote]

You’re probably the only person on Earth who symphatised with that fucker. The only cool thing he had was his shirt.

You’re probably the only person on Earth who symphatised with that fucker. The only cool thing he had was his shirt.
[/quote]
Okay I may have been wrong but the end he at least was kick ass. Plus he didn’t talk too much.

The movie is made EXTRA fun with this huge plot change…but wouldn’t some of you personally like the whole movie to be based around the gecko brothers? That would be cool too.

[quote=“BadMotherFucker”]
I think that they’re stupid as fuck and don’t really operate on rules. it’s like The Evil Dead. Sam Raimi has said that in order for it to be scary there has to be one rule: The Deadites (Or zombies) can come at any time, for any reason. Sometimes a person turns into one because they fall in mud (WHAT??) sometimes they turn because they are bitten, yet when ash is bitten only his hand turns. At one point a girl gets stabbed with a pencil and turns. I think the same goes for the vampires in FDTD. They have no rules, because they wanted it to be scary and/or they wanted it to resemble the crappy horror movies of the 80’s.
[/quote]

uhhh its not cause he fell in the mud, but otherwise your totally right people turn into “zombies� at totally random times not explanation needed - otherwise you wouldnt get the shock