People not getting FDTD?

Look, I don’t want to sound like an asshole here, but reading through the board there are a whole lot of people who didn’t get this movie at all… Perhaps I’m wrong and have just been reading the wrong threads, but I’m seeing a whole lot of ‘the vampires were stupid’ or ‘it’s just a fun movie’ or ‘the first/second half was awesome’.

So just look at the first and second half of From Dusk Till Dawn. The first half is dark and gritty; the violence is realistic and all the more distressing because the characters involved with (and usually on the receiving end of) this violence are completely real. The second half is mind blowingly over the top; a classic splatter movie with one liners, black humour and unrealistic bad ass heroes (amusing also that while they are in Mexico all of the heroes are American (and the Mexicans are all killed in the first major death scene XD)). So what the film is doing is comparing the two types of violence.

Actually I didn’t really notice this at first as I was expecting the vampires. I think the film was originally intended to be brought out without the audience even knowing that there were vampires in the movie at all. I know that the first time I got it out I wasn’t even sure it was the crazy vampire movie that had been recommended to me as it said nothing of vampires on the back, only about the Gecko brothers and the family they abduct. I watched it through and was pretty amazed, but it was actually only a while later while I watched it after a little weed with some friends that I realised the only point in this horror movie that I was actually horrified was during the first half of the film. The second half is just fun, the first half is damn real and disturbing.

Well, I’m pretty sure that was the point.

BraVO. I don’t think there’s anything disturbing or grim about the first half, I thought it was funnier than the second one, which was, umm, visit a lousy amusement park and go in a ghost ride, that’s the “horror” you get out of it. It’s funny. It’s funny. When I was a kid, I saw in theatre and I wasn’t scared I just thought it was cool.

About the first half - it’s not real violence - it’s making fun of violence. Look at the news report, it reminds me of one in our local TV, there was a report about some drowned guys and the reporter is talking about this accident and in the background we see two guys (rescuers) in a boat poking the corpse with some stick, while it’s floating in the river, I wish I had it recorded.

[quote=“Bleach”]
Look at the news report, it reminds me of one in our local TV, there was a report about some drowned guys and the reporter is talking about this accident and in the background we see two guys (rescuers) in a boat poking the corpse with some stick, while it’s floating in the river, I wish I had it recorded.
[/quote]

Man, that’s crazy!

That’s the funniest shit I’ve heard this past week. :smiley: