What is El Rey?

What is El Rey? The place where Seth goes at the end of the movie, but I don’t know what’s it

probably a happy mystical land where criminals can live and have fun, without worry of police and authority.

I think it’s just some hacienda in the mountains without any cops near. some paradise-like shelter

[quote]probably a happy mystical land where criminals can live and have fun, without worry of police and authority.[/quote]

like Disneyland?

Or America??

Is bills hacienda in el rey?

1 Like

El Ray is from the Jim Thompson book “The Getaway” It is a place where criminals go to hide out but once your money runs out you are cannibalized. Or something along those lines. I have not been able to get hold of the book yet. Quentin mentions it in the commentary on the DVD. They should have made the sequel about this! Can you just imagine Seth battling a horde of cannibalistic ex-cons?! I am thinking about writing a Fan Script or story myself.

1 Like

word, the sequals weren’t sequals

a sequal or maybe even a prequal for it would be beyond great

[quote=“pepsikiller”]
Is bills hacienda in el rey?
[/quote]

Hmmm nice point. I Imagine El Ray to be full of every single quentin character created…who wants to book a holiday? lol

Why would anyone want to print this topic? :-</E>

It can’t be some happy place, because there’s a reason Seth won’t let Kate join him. If it was some fantasy land, then he would have happily taken this pretty orphaned, traumatised chick with him. It’s only out of kindness that he refuses her passage with him.

After all, he’s a bastard, not a fuckin’ bastard.

[quote=“yella_haired_warrior”]It can’t be some happy place, because there’s a reason Seth won’t let Kate join him. If it was some fantasy land, then he would have happily taken this pretty orphaned, traumatised chick with him. It’s only out of kindness that he refuses her passage with him.

After all, he’s a bastard, not a fuckin’ bastard.[/quote]

On the DVD commentary Quentin says it’s hell. Ceech Marvin is the devil and it’s just makes sense that there is a bar full of vampire as a last stop to hell.

^^That is good thinking. I’m seen the Sam Peckinpah film The Getaway, but haven’t read the book, so I don’t know just how horrific its supposed to be; but I like the ‘road to Hell’ idea.

…13 fucking years and even the internet couldn’t help you! …it’s a fucking city in mexico! …google maps El Rey Mexico!

El Rey can also be a reference from tarantino’s “Planet Terror” to the lead character Wray, who famously was “El Wray” and whose girlfriend ended up in mexico in the same pyramid Dusk till dawn ends with. And that place could be called, in honor of “El Wray”, to “El Ray”

That is an excellent idea. I would have paid money to see that in the theater. You should have gotten together with Tarantiono to write the screenplay.

The El Ray is also a venue in LA